Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Cycles through History

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Cycles through History

    A couple of months ago I purchased an old touring bicycle and have spent the last few weeks rebuilding/upgrading it in time for summer. I'll be heading out on two wheels regularly (hopefully) in search of 'Hidden and Past Places' and I will post here some pictures and information on what I come across.

    First up is a set of standing stones at Baltray, Co. Louth.



    These were somewhat difficult to find. The Standing Stones are located down a small boreen and in a private field. Locking my bicycle to the gate I entered the field and took the photographs below. The field is on a height and offers a tremendous view of the surrounding area and overlooks a nearby golf course. The scenery is somewhat destroyed by the presence beside the Stones of a large, ugly, concrete water tank, part of which can be glimpsed in one of the pictures below. I took the approach of keeping my back to the monstrosity and ignoring it



    Legend has it (according to some) that the Standing Stones mark the location where Cúchulainn met and fought his son Connla.

    Two stones now remain, however, originally there would have been three.

    Of more interest though is the fact that on the 21st December, the Winter Solstice, the rising sun aligns with the flat side of the larger stone (pictured below) and the Roackabill islands off Skerries.



    The alignment, via Google Earth.



    The alignment is now no longer exact. This is due to the shift in the Earth's axis since the stones were placed thousands of years ago.

    The Standing Stones also align perfectly with Fourknocks Passage Grave.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Some more pictures:








  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    nice pics mate.... stay safe on that bike dont go up the left of trucks turnin left....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    nice pics mate.... stay safe on that bike dont go up the left of trucks turnin left....
    Yes that's my biggest fear, although for the most part trucks are respectful enough. There's a vibrant campaign ongoing in Dublin for improved cycling infrastructure, the ideal is for there to be properly segregated cycle lanes, not painted on afterthoughts like there are currently (which people park in rendering them worse than useless!)

    Cycling can be very joyful, it's free and healthy for all involved. And often far quicker than driving!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    On Friday I cycled to the mouth of the river Boyne at Mornington to view the arrival of the "Tall Ships" for the 2018 Drogheda Maritime Festival.

    A relatively modest crowd gathered at the location to view the parade of ships. Lots had cameras, and one person had a drone which he flew all over the estuary recording video and photographs. I'm very jealous of this piece of technology!

    Before the ships could arrive, some more regular domestic traffic had to make way, namely the Arklow Field, bound for Belgium.



    Shortly thereafter the ships began making their way up the Boyne:




    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 17-06-2018 at 03:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Things then took on a more serious tone with the arrive of three rather sinister looking French warships:



    The children present were delighted when the French sailors returned their waves.



    Much like the Bray air show I find events like this rather disturbing - the normalisation of foreign military hardware in Ireland. Reduced from their normal role to objects of titillation and curiosity they seem positively harmless...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    the lads that sail them old school ships are some details..... id took down haysheds and that so im not afraid of heights only you wouldnt get me up 1 of them masts with a cattleprod!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    On Friday I cycled to the mouth of the river Boyne at Mornington to view the arrival of the "Tall Ships" for the 2018 Drogheda Maritime Festival.

    A relatively modest crowd gathered at the location to view the parade of ships. Lots had cameras, and one person had a drone which he flew all over the estuary recording video and photographs. I'm very jealous of this piece of technology!

    Before the ships could arrive, some more regular domestic traffic had to make way, namely the Arklow Field, bound for Belgium.



    Shortly thereafter the ships began making their way up the Boyne:




    that pic that you can see all the lads on the masts thats fantastic mate.... you should get that 1 printed out and framed....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Much like the Bray air show I find events like this rather disturbing - the normalisation of foreign military hardware in Ireland. Reduced from their normal role to objects of titillation and curiosity they seem positively harmless...

    It would be mistaken to see this as anything new. I saw several USAF F-16's at the air show during the 1980s, which back in those days was held in Fairyhouse race course. I also saw this crash in which an airman died:

    https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=176030

    I'm not sure if the planes were officially part of the Polish air force, but Poland was of course then part of the former Eastern Block.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    It would be mistaken to see this as anything new. I saw several USAF F-16's at the air show during the 1980s, which back in those days was held in Fairyhouse race course. I also saw this crash in which an airman died:

    https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=176030

    I'm not sure if the planes were officially part of the Polish air force, but Poland was of course then part of the former Eastern Block.
    I feel it's all quite sinister. The following editorial from Socialist Voice voices my feelings quite well;

    So, by sending its Red Arrows to Bray the intention is to recruit gullible young Irish men and women to sign up to the British armed forces and put their lives at risk by going to occupy foreign lands, to oppress and kill the “natives” on behalf of the British empire.

    Of course, for the would-be recruit a visit to the Bray War Show is meant to be an exhilarating experience as these machines of death scream overhead. There’ll be no bombs dropped or heavy gunfire, just red, white and blue smoke. These war displays are a means to sanitise and therefore glorify war.

    However, in the war zones of the Middle East the sound of these warplanes generates terror, not titillation, for the people below.

    https://socialistvoice.ie/2018/05/po...ies-over-bray/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    I don't agree with all of that piece, the fact that the British Army still recruits child soldiers (you can join up at 16) is a disgrace.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...bing-PTSD.html
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    that pic that you can see all the lads on the masts thats fantastic mate.... you should get that 1 printed out and framed....
    Thank you, the ships were really spectacular, I'd love to have seen them with their sails fully unfurled, that would be quite the sight.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,844

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    The cycling is interesting. It makes me think of all the accounts I've heard of people cycling to Croke Park right across the country to watch - and play - in matches. And people I knew who in their youth had commuted from Wexford to the Midlands to work, sleeping in lodgings and returning home by bike on Fridays. Nice photos of the standing stones - and great weather to see them in.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The cycling is interesting. It makes me think of all the accounts I've heard of people cycling to Croke Park right across the country to watch - and play - in matches. And people I knew who in their youth had commuted from Wexford to the Midlands to work, sleeping in lodgings and returning home by bike on Fridays. Nice photos of the standing stones - and great weather to see them in.
    Begorrah!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Béal_Bocht
    Last edited by pluralist; 20-06-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: Cycles through History

    Laytown Barrow, a burial mound on the banks of the river Nanny (and in someones back garden!) in county Meath.

    I took this picture a few days ago from the opposite river bank. I cycled out to Mosney concentration refugee camp. Didn't get much of a look at the place, but it looks very grim.

    Anyway, legend has it that Laytown Barrow is the resting place of one of Cuchulainn's charioteers.



    Something a bit more modern I took today.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us