Thread: The State of the Nation - Ireland in 2018

Default The State of the Nation - Ireland in 2018

I'm starting this thread as a place to post those 'little' things that catch our attention as saying something about the State of the Nation.

Items need not all be serious, but some will be -

There is a little girl, name of Olivia, in hospital in Cork with double pneumonia, due to compression of her lungs caused by curvature of the spine.
    She needs urgent surgery, but can't get it until she has an MRI scan. Her scan appointment is in April 2019.

The condition must be excruciatingly painful, and life threatening, but Olivia cannot speak, so no embarrassing media stateComents are likely to come out of her mouth.

I remember following a situation in the 1990s when Irish children with a hole in the heart were dying at about that age - when most developed countries check at birth for that condition and rectify it in hours.

A society that lets this happen has some deep sickness that needs to be addressed. Post colonial, I would say. Jonathan Swift, who advocated cooking Irish children as a tasty and nutritious meal, would have had field day with this.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...ry-470934.html
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: The State of the Nation - Ireland in 2018

I have had 3 MRI scans in my life, none of them in Ireland, and I had to wait no more than 2 weeks for any of them

April 2019 is absurd. She should be sent here as the charge is minimal

http://www.blackrock-clinic.ie/emerg...-does-it-cost/
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I have had 3 MRI scans in my life, none of them in Ireland, and I had to wait no more than 2 weeks for any of them

April 2019 is absurd. She should be sent here as the charge is minimal

http://www.blackrock-clinic.ie/emerg...-does-it-cost/
    It would be more, as she needs a general anesthetic as it means staying perfectly still for a long time.

It seems likely that a front page in the Examiner will move her case on, but it is horrific that she has been waiting so long that she has life threatening pressure on her lungs. Some aspects of the Irish health system work really well - some specific conditions/illnesses - but others are virtually non-existent. Having money is no guarantee as in the private sector the patient has to "put a team together" - and doing that in advance of diagnosis would be hit or miss. There is also much less oversight of the private sector. There has been progress made in the last twenty years, but it is a ragged, irrational system.

For example, you can be too poor to get a medical card. Yes, there is a lower limit for income level. And without a medical card, no one can access A and E without paying €100.00 - much of a week's income for someone in that category.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

You will never be refused admittance to an a and e or a doctor even without one though. I have personally told such people I do not have the money and This was in Drogheda A and E and later for the local on call doctor too where they just sort of said we will send it in the post in case anyone was eavesdropping. It is a brutal system but they can only get money off you if you let them-at least for the basics, they do not hound people for 100 or 60 quid and definitely do not deny people entry to a and e or an on call doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    You will never be refused admittance to an a and e or a doctor even without one though. I have personally told such people I do not have the money and This was in Drogheda A and E and later for the local on call doctor too where they just sort of said we will send it in the post in case anyone was eavesdropping. It is a brutal system but they can only get money off you if you let them-at least for the basics, they do not hound people for 100 or 60 quid and definitely do not deny people entry to a and e or an on call doctor.
    Yes, you can get through the door. But they do charge, and they do hound people with debt collection agencies. Glad they have not caught up with you apjp. Under those circumstances, a person with chest pain but no money will think twice about going in.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 23-05-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The Irish state is toxic. There might be good individuals - even good entire departments - within it but its nature is essentially rotten.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    The Irish state is toxic. There might be good individuals - even good entire departments - within it but its nature is essentially rotten.
    The states priorities are upside down, and when normal people get a little something for themselves by playing the game they cling to it, thus nothing ever changes.

Consultants getting their money back?

Consultants have challenged the withholding of agreed pay increases in 2009, and the State is contesting their claims.
    The HSE had previously forecast that in a worst-case scenario, about 2,000 consultants could have to be reimbursed, at an ultimate cost of about €700 million gross.
    In High Court affidavits on behalf of Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe and others in defence of the cases, it is claimed 700 other consultants have identical claims, and that there are a further 2,280 on the same contract who may also be affected.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ding-1.3518364

Could say that economic crash is coming but don't know when. They haven't learnt their lessons of 2007-2009.

Trump effect such as tariffs and many more who knows?

I read articles on behavioural finance, finance topics etc as part of my studies. I noticed that there is a huge disconnect between the top (bosses of investment banks, CB's and the middle tier/bottom tier which is us). That haven't been addressed up to now.

Our CB boss Lane made his deliberate decision re mortgages lending on determination of lending based on incomes.It has tightened the noose hugely . As a consequence of that decision-a lot people can't afford to buy house due to rocketing house prices. The reason for that was Lane's deliberate decision - wanted to make bank's balance sheet look good (thus more lending with a tighter criteria) but only temporary depending on economic climate. But it set off that side effect that was/is homelessness and a creation of a 'renting' society bit similar to German model. Just wondering if FG were advised by the Germans in regards to economic/housing policies.

If you follow the reasoning, if economic climate goes south or bad so will the bank's balance sheet as well. That temporary increase in their assets (mortgage loans plus properties as well) will fall as well. No win situation.

Now America are starting to dissociate from the euros as they try to lessen the contagion effects coming from Europe which is already happening in Italy. Ireland have 1BN in Italian bonds as their value will go down irrespective of what's happening in Italy. Their debts is huge- way bigger than Ireland as they haven't solved it yet.

Lot of cutbacks from austerity starting to rear their ugly heads now as it's being felt tangibly everywhere in Ireland as these cutbacks haven't been reversed in whole- HSE's faults due to cutbacks- cutting corners, faulty mri or untrained radiologists etc. For example I had an MRI scan which wasn't diagnosed properly... . they called it arthritis but it wasn't at the end. That diagnosis was made by a top radiologist in Ireland as he couldn't diagnose it properly. It was only i went abroad to see radiologist, who identified it correctly as i was just stunned/astonished. But now i couldn't even trust HSE at all (after what happened), whatsoever cos a top radiologist unable to do it correctly or how many un-diagnosed scans out there. Cervical check is on tip of an iceberg out there especially in HSE and others (?).

Problems everywhere ranging from garda to multinational financial accounts to increase of low income earners..... one noticeable thing shouted from the top is total lack of good corporate governance and also FG supporting redacted one which was totally disgusting.

Also pressure on multi nationals were ramped up due to their accounting tax evasion or fraud ( very fine line there). That will divert their massive monies abroad rather than here. Apple/facebook did that while ago as others will follow. This would mean reduced tax take for Ireland in near future as 80% of corporation taxes came from multi nationals such huge dependency which doesn't look good.

FG doing lot of firefighting now such as cervical check, garda, HSE, homelessness. FG now wanted to keep their lid on homelessness cos it might affect their votes. Now the media not reporting much re homelessness probably on instructions from editors in turn pressurised from FG govt.

Such campaigns as SSM or abortion victories were designed to make us feel good and also sidetrack us as to forget other issues such as homelessness, corruption such as lack of good corporate governance, exodus of teachers/nurses -what does it say about the state of Ireland now?
    Last edited by disability student; 05-06-2018 at 02:59 AM.