Thread: Kerch Strait bridge opened.

Default Kerch Strait bridge opened.

President Vladimir Putin has opened the Kerch Strait bridge connecting the Crimean city of Kerch with the rest of the Russian Federation. The 12 mile long bridge is now the longest bridge in Europe. The previously longest bridge was the 10.7 mile long Vasco da Gama Bridge which spans the river Tagus in Lisbon, Portugal.

A bridge connecting Crimea and Caucasus Russia had long been dreamed of.
    Russia's last tsar, Nicholas II proposed such a bridge, but the outbreak of World War put a stop to his plans.
    Another attempt was made in the 1930s under Joseph Stalin and during World War II the occupying Nazis also began building a bridge, but abandoned the project. Now at last in an outstanding display of Engineering and national will the dream has become real. A truly inspiring and great achievement.

I am sure the people of Crimea who in a 2014 referendum voted by a large majority to rejoin Russia will be delighted with the new bridge.

Last edited by eamo; 16-05-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Default Re: Kerch Strait bridge opened.

something else that is....

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    something else that is....
    I love to see countries getting stuck in and firing up something spectacular, a kind of just do it mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I love to see countries getting stuck in and firing up something spectacular, a kind of just do it mentality.
    Me too. Done in amazingly short time.

There are massive sour grapes about this in various parts of the world, the US and nationalist parts of Ukraine included. Including threats to bomb it, so they will need a good amount of security.

This must be a huge relief to the people of Crimea.

Crimea is an amazingly beautiful holiday resort - vinyards, craggy cliffs,castles and beaches, artistic bohemia, The bridge will be make it more accessible. If I'm going to go (and have lng thought about it) I had better go soon
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I guess the Kerch now displaces the Vasco de Gama for 10th longest globally.

I've driven across 2 of the 10 longest, including the longest, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, 24 miles. More interesting was the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel combination at the mouth of the bay. Three bridges and two tunnels 17 miles.

Although you can't see it from the bridge itself because the view is blocked by air vents, from the water it appears as if the bridges descend into and rise up out of the water twice.

Rather than raise the bridge, they put the tunnels in so that people like CF couldn't go up on the bridge and try to disable the aircraft carriers entering and exiting Norfolk a few miles north, by throwing rotten eggs and tomatoes at them. Fuhgeddaboudit!

The only other bridge on the 130 mile long Chesapeake is at it's narrowest point, 4 miles, about 75 miles north at Annapolis.

Photos here.

10 longest bridges to drive across - USA Today

Good photo of bridge/tunnel here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chesa...ruction-2017-6
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

There are massive sour grapes about this in various parts of the world, the US and nationalist parts of Ukraine included. Including threats to bomb it, so they will need a good amount of security.

Crimea is an amazingly beautiful holiday resort - vinyards, craggy cliffs,castles and beaches, artistic bohemia, The bridge will be make it more accessible. If I'm going to go (and have lng thought about it) I had better go soon
    I saw the bridge opening on euronews with Putin driving a lorry. Not many other Presidents drive lorries, I'll give him that.

Hello from Kiev where I'm living now. Got Herę łatę Friday night and I'm starting My Russian classes tomorrow.

I would also like to visit Crimea but I will wait a few years and maybe do it on my other passport.

Ukraine has an automatic five year ban for anyone caught doing this though. Not worth the risk for me right now. Odessa is a good plan b I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

When you compare human spending on something magnificent and functional like that bridge with the staggering level of human spending on the utter hate and destructiveness that is the arms industry, then you can only look at the world order and despair at the sickness that the arms industry and their enablers spread.

Those people who in Thatcher style don't believe in Society but do believe that people have a duty to burn through resources so that they can boss the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    any lad was on the buildin of that will be proud till he dies....

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    I saw the bridge opening on euronews with Putin driving a lorry. Not many other Presidents drive lorries, I'll give him that.

Hello from Kiev where I'm living now. Got Herę łatę Friday night and I'm starting My Russian classes tomorrow.

I would also like to visit Crimea but I will wait a few years and maybe do it on my other passport.

Ukraine has an automatic five year ban for anyone caught doing this though. Not worth the risk for me right now. Odessa is a good plan b I hear.
    hes not all bad so....