Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland v Pakistan - Ireland's first ever Test Match

Default Ireland v Pakistan - Ireland's first ever Test Match

Due to have started this morning at 11:00, but wouldn't you know, rain delayed the start.

Here's an account of the road that got us here, delivered with the usual BBC inflection:

"In my opinion, 2007 was the biggest win. It announced us on the world stage in our first World Cup, but 2011 reinforced to the cricket world that it wasn't a fluke and we really are a decent team."

A decent team, and now a Test team. Irish cricket, having crossed numerous hurdles in past decades, is now a fully-fledged member of one of sport's most exclusive clubs.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44071321

This gives the current state of play v the weather:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44081146

And Cricket Ireland should be giving regular updates, ball-by-ball with any luck, via the tweet machine:

https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Where's Sam Lord when you need him?

Default Re: Ireland v Pakistan - Ireland's first ever Test Match

Under covers ?

Ireland's first test match and weather prevents play. Who would have thought it ?

Out of respect for the day, let's remember The Cricket Bat That Died For Ireland.

https://thecricketbatthatdiedforireland.com/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Hell of a fightback by Ireland today - Kevin O'Brien is on 99. I'm holding my breath.

http://www.pcb.com.pk/live/match/31369.html
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Ireland's first Test century -- blooming amazing.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

https://twitter.com/E_Sure91/status/994926763447914498

Question on many Pakistani lips "Why has Ireland organised a Test Match in the Rainy Season" ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

West brit!
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    West brit!
    Ha ! Exactly. Rwyf i'n Gymraeg.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

West brit!
    You ought to know that cricket not so long ago was more popular than hurling in Ireland. Well, maybe.
    And surely you've heard of The Cricket Bat that Died for Ireland" ?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-34510610.html
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I was being somewhat facetious. Yes, I am aware that cricket was once very popular in Ireland. Personally, can't stand the game, can't understand the rules, find it boring. Just my 2c. Chacun a son goute!
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    You ought to know that cricket not so long ago was more popular than hurling in Ireland. Well, maybe.
    And surely you've heard of The Cricket Bat that Died for Ireland" ?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-34510610.html
    For whatever reason, Sackville Place retained its name, it was never renamed O'Connell Place.

Sackville Place was at one time the location of Ireland's most notorious rave club, called appropriately enough, The Asylum. There is or was a long-running thread on boards.ie where survivors reminisced about the place. I use the word survivors advisedly. Many who got too heavily immersed in that scene did not survive.

I was being somewhat facetious. Yes, I am aware that cricket was once very popular in Ireland. Personally, can't stand the game, can't understand the rules, find it boring. Just my 2c. Chacun a son goute!
    1. Give it time. Any game that plays a series of matches each lasting several days (with tea breaks) to determine the outcome needs time.

2. Any game in which weather forecasting is a key strategic skill for captains is on an epic scale.

3. 58% of Britons think that cricket is a) boring or b) very boring. So who is West Brit here ?

4. Cricket is the second most watched game globally, after soccer. Given the rapid increase in the population of the Indian subcontinent, it could well overtake soccer. If it takes off in China (there are signs) well...

5. It is a darned shame that RTE showed no interest in buying TV rights to the match, and that it went to Sky (yugh!). I heard no reports of it and had to follow on twitter.

6. Following comments on the match from mainly Indian subcontinent watchers, it was conceded that Ireland's performance was legendary. And only a handful of cricketers made a century in their first Test match (in this case, against tough bowling). O'Brien's name is going in the history books. Yesterday, he got a standing ovation from the crowd, who included Imran Kahn.

7. Ireland starts the day 139 runs ahead.....

I can't wait to get out to Malahide to see the new stand, at the first opportunity. It's a disgrace that Ireland will not be allowed in the World Cup next year, say millions of people over the other side of the world.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 15-05-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

And an excellent fightback from the Irish this morning. At one point they had Pakistan at 14 for 3. Currently 52 for 3 at lunch.

I spent Sun/Monday 'enjoying' the delights of air travel for 25 solid hours, with only the briefest of naps, and found that following the live score feed on the BBC was an excellent antidote to the grimness of Keflavik.

A different view, suggesting Test Cricket and Ireland are a day late, and a dollar short.

Sports: How much would you spend to save cricket? In Ireland and elsewhere, the answer is `quite a lot’ (Bloomberg).
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    A different view, suggesting Test Cricket and Ireland are a day late, and a dollar short.

Sports: How much would you spend to save cricket? In Ireland and elsewhere, the answer is `quite a lot’ (Bloomberg).
    It's not really a different view, though, just a bringing to bear of other context which, for me, as from some others I know who are interested in the game, is largely irrelevant, or means differently.

Born in Britain in the 18th century before spreading through the empire, cricket wants to enter ever-more countries to attract new fans, following a well-worn path across top-tier sports.
    [From your Bloomberg source]

The rules are always changing, but if you push back in Irish history before the Great Famine, you find cricket played in Ireland, concentrated, I believe, in south Leinster, in areas which were later a hotbed of hurling. There are significant shared skills in the two games, as testified by the present captain of the English ODI cricket team, Dubliner Eoin Morgan, who attributed one of his trademark shots to his experience as a hurler. I don't see cricket in Ireland as necessarily a British imperial import.

But how do you make a deeply complicated game — with quirky rules and idiosyncratic vocabulary, derided as boring — palatable to a new audience
    I'm perhaps the ultimate outlier, in that it's precisely the "idiosyncratic vocabulary" that first made me attend to the game, back in the seventies, listening to John Arlott commentating on BBC Radio 3. Having waited so many years, and seen a few of our best players poached by England, I'm just enjoying seeing this Irish team flourish at a sport I enjoy. I'm not in the least interested in it as a business proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post
    It's not really a different view, though, just a bringing to bear of other context which, for me, as from some others I know who are interested in the game, is largely irrelevant, or means differently.

[From your Bloomberg source]

The rules are always changing, but if you push back in Irish history before the Great Famine, you find cricket played in Ireland, concentrated, I believe, in south Leinster, in areas which were later a hotbed of hurling. There are significant shared skills in the two games, as testified by the present captain of the English ODI cricket team, Dubliner Eoin Morgan, who attributed one of his trademark shots to his experience as a hurler. I don't see cricket in Ireland as necessarily a British imperial import.

I'm perhaps the ultimate outlier, in that it's precisely the "idiosyncratic vocabulary" that first made me attend to the game, back in the seventies, listening to John Arlott commentating on BBC Radio 3. Having waited so many years, and seen a few of our best players poached by England, I'm just enjoying seeing this Irish team flourish at a sport I enjoy. I'm not in the least interested in it as a business proposition.
    I take your points, but there is little doubt that the ICC have to be and are interested in the business aspect, otherwise there'd be no cricket to enjoy.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast