Thread: Kerry Babies Case reopened due to advances in DNA technology

Default Kerry Babies Case reopened due to advances in DNA technology

Some interesting developments today. I only have a passing familiarity with the case, anyone care to offer a brief synopsis?

Default Re: Kerry Babies Case reopened due to advances in DNA technology

In those days the Gardaí were even a more law unto themselves than they are now. They forced many vulnerable people to confess to crimes they had not committed including Joanne Hayes and her family.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifesty...er-265099.html

'Baby John deserves the truth' - gardaí in public appeal as apology issued to Joanne Hayes over Kerry Babies investigation'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36494480.html

It was stated by someone on the radio earlier today that the babies headstone had been vandalised. I don't believe that. Sometimes people run away with a story.
    It was also stated that sometimes little things like children's toys are left at the graveside. That is more in keeping with the nature of most Irish people.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    It was stated by someone on the radio earlier today that the babies headstone had been vandalised. I don't believe that. Sometimes people run away with a story.
    It was also stated that sometimes little things like children's toys are left at the graveside. That is more in keeping with the nature of most Irish people.
    Most Irish people sure, absolutely.

But I grew up in rural Derry/Donegal border country in the 1970s when the whole country was firmly still Holy Catholic Direland. And the sheer viciousness of the "squinting windows" bead-rattler gossips and Front Parlourists to anyone who stepped out of Acceptable Behaviour was really awful awful stuff. And especially towards and young girls who got themselves pregnant. Our own *cough* local troubles *cough* aside the daily life and culture was really not much different at all from anywhere else further south.

Fewer in numbers and deprived of a lot of their second-hand power they derived (and exploited) in rural communities by being "in" with the Church, Gardai and politicians, these days, but as bitter nasty and vicious as ever. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some daft old Holy Joe took it on themselves to attack the headstone, sadly

I would Sidey. There just isn't the energy left now.A handful of pro lifers picketed local TD sometime after the Savita case. I decided to give them an earful of abuse but as I drew level with them I realised they were all (3 women 1 man) in their 80s. So I jogged on. No clergy btw. But then clergy kept a very low profile in the main on gay marriage. Quite a few in favour. Joanne was badly let down by this state as are women to this day. We need secular leadership not endless referenda.This can be Leo's legacy project. Let's face it he won't change anything else in this kleptocratic state.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    We need secular leadership not endless referenda.This can be Leo's legacy project. Let's face it he won't change anything else in this kleptocratic state.
    Agreed.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.