Thread: Another YouTube rival bites the dust.

Default Another YouTube rival bites the dust.

Few people have heard of Vidme and that in a nutshell is why they will cease to exist as and from 12 noon tomorrow (15/12/'17). It is a Video hosting site and any content which the creators have not saved and/or posted elsewhere will be lost forever.

Vidme was an effort to create a more user-friendly platform than You Tube and it did attract a lot of investment and content but never really stood a chance of surviving.
    Perhaps it was ahead of its time. The power of You Tube seems to have gone to their head. Arrogance and madness may well be the downfall of Y/Tube, what with their zeal for censoring and demonetising (fancy word for not paying afaik) non politically correct channels they may well come a cropper. But sad to say, Vidme will not be around to benefit from Y/Tubes decline.

Here is their goodbye page, I suppose that might disappear tomorrow as well:

https://medium.com/vidme/goodbye-for-now-120b40becafa

Goes to show, the printed word still has a lot to recommend it. At least books won't disappear at the flick of a switch.

And if you ever wondered if an e-reader was better than a book, well try this experiment. Drop a book and an e-reader on the ground, stand on each of them, then jump on each of them, then see which of them still works.

Default Re: Another YouTube rival bites the dust.

Very interesting.

On the ebook front, publishing houses like Verso give you the ebook for free when you buy the physical book.

I find the ebook very handy for commuting.

While looking at youtube alternatives I came across BitChute. They really should have thought of a better name...but that's tec-nerds for you.

It was set up buy Ray Vahey using "WebTorrent" which is a "streaming BitTorrent client for the browser, powered by WebRTC".

Now I am not going to pretend to understand what that is all about but it seems that it uses open source stuff and is a "peer to peer" site, which as far as I can make out means you are getting your video from other BitChute members and they might be getting their video from your, as well as many other computers.

Being so decentralised has advantages and disadvantages, remains to be seen which will outweigh which.

It is only going since Jan 2017 and one of its clever features is that You tube channels can automatically copy all their stuff onto BitChute. I recon You tube will find a way to stop that if BitChute get big enough to appear on You Tube's radar.

The mastermind behind the code supporting B/Chute is a right young genius called Feross Aboukhadijeh who might be worth a thread of his own.

Here is a review of BitChute by a true beleiver, and yea, it is on Youtube, I see the irony, but I don't want to risk messing this post by trying to link a B/Chute video. That experiment is for another day.

Here's another video:

Last edited by eamo; 25-01-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Fascinating, Emo. The tendency is towards monopoly - quantity of content and quantity of users is magnetic. It's a bit like the railways - when they started there were different gauges all over the place but what works best is to be uniformly joined up. People will sacrifice quality for connectivity to a good degree.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Fascinating, Emo. The tendency is towards monopoly - quantity of content and quantity of users is magnetic. It's a bit like the railways - when they started there were different gauges all over the place but what works best is to be uniformly joined up. People will sacrifice quality for connectivity to a good degree.
    I think it is also analogous to spreadsheets. Twenty years ago', there were numerous providers - indeed, as I recall, Lotus's product was better than Microsoft's.

Now, there is a virtual monopoly - everyone uses Microsoft Excel.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

BitChute have realised they could do with a better name and so are rebranding as "SPKOUT".
    Well it is better but "SPEAKOUT" would have been better still imo.

SPKOUT
    " SPEAK OUT "
    BitChute was created as a solution to decentralize and disrupt existing social media platforms and more importantly, their dictatorial behavior towards the people who use them.

Our aim has always been to put people first and provide them with a platform that they can use to flourish and express their ideas freely.

By shifting the balance of power away from large corporates and back into the hands of individuals, we want to encourage and foster the right to freedom of expression and so, we are rebranding to a name that promotes this vision.

It all started with BitChute, but now it’s time to SPKOUT!

Will I need to make any changes to my account or videos?

No, this change is seamless, you can continue to view, upload, comment, ‘like’ and everything else as usual.

Will the primary domain be updated to spkout.com?

Yes, we are doing the rebrand in stages, first the look of the website has changed. Next, we will switch the primary domain name to spkout.com.

Will existing links to bitchute.com still work?

Yes, bitchute.com links will continue to work even after we have switched the primary domain.

Will embeds continue to work?

Yes, the bitchute.com domain will continue to function for as long as is necessary for embeds and other features.

From here:

https://www.bitchute.com/rebrand/

Ye Gods....ya couldn't make this stuff up.

Spkout is now Bitchute again.

SPKOUT...or SPEAKOUT or SPEAKNOW! or UPandOUT or any fkn other name would be better than BITCHUTE......but NO...the damm nerds had to go back to BIT..BLEEDEN..CHUTE.

And the fact that they can not decide on a good name and stick to it is indicative of why they will not be successful.

God grant me patience.

BitChute
    We recently rebranded and have since received a lot of compliments about the new look but also a lot of negative feedback about the name. The majority of the complaints can be summed up as it being "too political" or confusion over how to say SPKOUT.

Many creators have been very generous with their time and we had many conversations with a large number you over the last few weeks. We have been overwhelmed by the support for BitChute.

You spoke out and we listened, BitChute is back! #BitChuteIsBack
    Bit is synonymous with greater decentralization and using technology to take back power from large centralized corporate entities and place it into the hands of individuals. It is a technological word that has come to represent a fairer system.

Chute refers to a parachute, and is a beautiful representation of how we distribute bits of information to people wherever they might be. A wise man once said:

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open." - Frank Zappa

Stripe have terminated their contract with Bitchute.

Stripe are an online payment company and not been able to use them is going to cause problems for Bitchute.

Seems some of the big beasts don't like competition.

Interview with Bitchute CEO about lots of things Bitchute related. At arround 3min 30sec he talks about stripe cancelling their contract and the hassle it caused.

Now the Irish site "Computing Forever" is in the cross hairs. Non establishment-approved thought and expression is under attack like never before.