Thread: Happenings in Zimbabwe

Default Happenings in Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe's ruling party fires Robert Mugabe as leader
    Zanu PF has sacked the president and replaced him with Emmerson Mnangagwa, the deputy he dismissed two weeks ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gabe-as-leader
    It seems to be a confused situation with contradictory reports emerging. Mugabe was said to be under house arrest, only for him to turn up at a graduation ceremony.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Default Re: Happenings in Zimbabwe

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    It seems to be a confused situation with contradictory reports emerging. Mugabe was said to be under house arrest, only for him to turn up at a graduation ceremony.
    Whenever I hear the western media reporting 'enormous demonstrations' (such things never happen in the west) I assume there is some kind of coup or coup attempt going on.

Anyone know anything about the purported new guy ?

Mnangagwa is a former intelligence chief and veteran Zanu-PF official who was responsible for the repression of opposition parties in successive elections between 2000 and 2008
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Mugabe just made a TV appearance vowing to stay on as president. All very odd!
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Reeks of external influence. Regime change.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Reeks of external influence. Regime change.
    Carried out exceedingly well and competently, so far. It was done so well that the "journalists" and the media didn't really understand what was going on at the time. So far there's been a lack of excessive violence that normally follows a coup. The interesting thing is that Grace Mugabe has not been publically seen (I think) since the takeover.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Carried out exceedingly well and competently, so far. It was done so well that the "journalists" and the media didn't really understand what was going on at the time. So far there's been a lack of excessive violence that normally follows a coup. The interesting thing is that Grace Mugabe has not been publically seen (I think) since the takeover.

Regards...jmcc
    Indeed, the art of gentle persuasion is at play. Note the bid by Mugabe to have his former chief of intelligence put into the job. Be interesting to see how Mugabe copes with the growing pressure at his age.

Mugabe said he wants to die in office. Hmmmm,.. Why do i have the sneaking suspicion that ''post Mugabe regime'' there'd be some kind of Internationally backed legal proceeding? He fears reprisals.

Enough to make a man shoot himself in office.....Kinda like the prison Governor did to himself in the movie The Shawshank Redemtion.

I'd be kinda nervous around so many of my own Generals when there's room for assassination in such a situation.

Suddenly he resigns. Theresa May [Brit PM] speaks of oppression under his rule and that Britain stands ready to help with future. No mention of who is in charge. Impeachment proceedings halted.

Looks like they are switching out one crook for another......
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Looks like they are switching out one crook for another......
    tis the same crook as far as i understand... i think the new was was the previous regime henchman ..

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Whenever I hear the western media reporting 'enormous demonstrations' (such things never happen in the west) I assume there is some kind of coup or coup attempt going on.

Anyone know anything about the purported new guy ?
    He had a hand in the genocide of the 20'000 Ndebele minority in the 1980's as far as I know.

What's changed? 30% of Zimbabweans live abroad afaik.

Regime change? Not really. I first worked there a few years after Mugabe was enthroned - the future was obvious then, a period of calm, then dump the opposition, literally, kill them off. Then drive out the whities, they are the real enemies. However, the whities had moved out their money and Zim, the shorthand name for the former Southern Rhodesia (after Cecil R), was under the thumb of the World Bank, and we all know what that means.

Sky high inflation, no native farming skills in the country which had an annual 100k tons of beef deal with the EU as a pressie for independence, rampant corruption, army backed regime, then Zuma arrives.....

Yer man is 75 years old, known as the crocodile, blood all over his hands, pal of Zuma......

Don't hold yer breath. A tragedy if ever there was one, a country inside the tropics with a mostly mediterranian climate, no problem to produce food, but none to be had.

There's gold in them there hills.....Just a little insight to other ''Happenings in Zimbabwe'' just prior to the Mugabe affair..

Quote.. Following a string of allegations about illegal gold mining mafias generating millions of dollars in lost revenue, the Government of Zimbabwe launched an investigation in early August whose results should be made public in the coming weeks.

According to the Deputy Minister of Mines and Mining Development, Fred Moyo, the probe has been completed. Quoted by the local newspaper The Chronicle, Moyo said that his team looked into production and trading circles.

Media reported that an elution gold processor in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe’s second-largest city, was allegedly involved in a highly sophisticated scam whereby it was handing over to a buying agent part of the gold that should be directly delivered to the country’s sole buyer, Fidelity Printers and Refiners.

The buyer agent was, later on, reselling the product to FPR in contravention of government regulations. http://www.thezimbabwean.co/2017/09/...-mining-probe/ Dated 5/9/17.

An article here from the FPR, a subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe, highlights the ''duping of miners'' dated October 17, 2017. http://www.fpr.co.zw/2017/10/17/arti...lity-printers/

Wonder were the Government report is, that was to be released @ the time Mugabe hit the news?
    Last edited by Trow; 01-12-2017 at 01:06 AM.