Thread: 100 Years of Communism

Default 100 Years of Communism

Given the dominant hard left ethos of this site, it's come to a sorry pass on PW when it's left to me, "a capitalist lapdog" to start a thread memorializing the 100th year anniversary of the "October Revolution " and its worldwide effects. It would be remiss to let the moment pass..........

WaPo has good text/pictorial "time lapse" of the communist landmarks of the last 100 years.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.046126469940
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: 100 Years of Communism

Well the 100th anniversary is not until November!

But yes, a necessary thread. There is and has been a plethora of events about the revolution in Dublin.

I've been reading a number of books about it, October by China Mieville is a good book which has been recently published. I read it and then immediately afterward read the official USSR history entitled "Short History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (Bolsheviks)"

Reading both of these together I think I got a fairly decent overview of the left-wing view and account of those momentous events.

I've been dipping in and out of the works of Lenin (who it seems was very much the star of the show) and have been surprised at how accessible his writing is, it's a stark contrast to Marx for example, whose writing is sometimes a bit of a slog.

The Washington Post "article" is worthless, partisan drivel.
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 28-10-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

At the time it happened it was October 25, which under the new calendar would be Nov 7. Not for nothing its called the October Revolution and not the November Revolution.
    Thanks for your critique of the WaPo piece.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    At the time it happened it was October 25, which under the new calendar would be Nov 7. Not for nothing its called the October Revolution and not the November Revolution.
    Thanks for your critique of the WaPo piece.
    They are oddly reticent on Cuba!
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    They are oddly reticent on Cuba!
    Not sure what you mean by reticent. Every item referenced in the piece gets a single short graf and photo, and the one on Cuba is not noticeably longer or shorter than the alternatives.
    What's your beef?