Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "Czech Trump" set to win election

Default Re: A "Czech Trump" set to win election

An analysis from the Euro Left site transform from a Czech communist. The Pirates are seen as not left at all interestingly and in fact more right than elsewhere (I suspect the 'liberal left' thing is a fancy of the author above or his attempted 'silver lining' ?) . Confusingly he goes on to associate the Pirates with an intellectual academic 'new left' . Not an easy read
    https://www.transform-network.net/bl...he-czech-left/

Quote Originally Posted by GregTimo View Post
    Not quite as bad as Hungary (yet) but a terrible result . Not only was the 'Social Democrat' CSSD down by nearly 2/3rds but the opposition 'communist' KSCD dropped by nearly half and a new populist extreme right party winning 11%. ANO reminds me of Fianna Fail under Charlie Haughey . Going on like Poland , I suspect the leftside were asleep at the wheel (and/or corrupt) again. There is talk of disinfo gone wild re-inforcing an existing cynicism which I'd believe as it sounds like here (just worse) but not so sure about this account (lacking other analysis, the Guardian was way out , Romanian based LeftEast which has seemed to do good hard analysis has yet to cover it)
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...public/543591/
    Holland was a disaster for Social Democracy (and a stagnation for the hard left, with only a decent result for a soft Green Left as consolation), it's sad to see people so blinkered to see that as a sort of victory (Austria could only be described as not quite as bad as expected), there is little room for complacency. I wish there was as i'm getting too old for this *****
    Poland doesn't have a leftwing party in the Sejm anymore and no visible left presence, almost no trade unions and is generally a centre-right country.

The least rightwing party are the last govt. party PO who are in the middle but their support for refugees, lack of housing policy to control rising rents, lack of a major social welfare strategy and lack of investment in rural Poland as well as the 2015 Polish bugging scandal led to a hybrid of a Church party that offered some social welfare benefits to families and older people taking office(while playing the anti-refugee card).

The result is a Poland perceived as closed and mildly racist-actually anyone can come here except refugees from certain places. The country has an open door immigration policy for anyone who can get a job offer. Perception is not necessarily reality. Where I work now has as many as or more foreigners than Poles-in a company of 1500 people, we have 50 nationalities.

If it makes Poland look a little less rightwing the current govt. was elected on one of the lowest ever turnout levels and has faced record protests-generally it is very unpopular but how many people complaining who will actually bother voting in 2019 is anyone's guess.

I listen to the radio every day on the way to and from work. The media is less rightwing than would seem at first. There was recently a march of 60'000 extreme nationalists in Warsaw on the country's Independence Day and it generally drew even more widespread disgust in Poland than abroad. The nominally Nationalist President made a pretty anti-Nationalist and anti-racist speech.

One thing you can say about Poles is they favour equality before the law and will resist any attempts at authoritarian rule via the court/church govt links and/or Nazi-like ideas. There's a strong anti-Nazi undercurrent here that overcomes any reservations about certain cultures. I'm not even sure the exteme nationalists could be called Nazis to be honest, just xenophobe morons, usually from uneducated backgrounds and they make up a small not very electorally participative part of the population.

Austria, or at least large parts of it, is far more rightwing. You can know a language fluently in one country and feel completely alien to the culture, then know a language to an intermediate level after 2 years somewhere else and feel a lot more welcome if not 100% at home.

A country whose history was shaped by the Holocaust and anti-Polish genocides is somewhat proud and nationalist alright but the scars run deep and there is some real humanity in people here.

I think the Czechs and Germans are having their own 'Trump' moments now alright. Actually Germany and the AFD are far more worrying than any centre right populists in the Slavic nations.

There's a serious almost religious adherence to, and solemn respect for, the constitution and rule of law here too that you won't find in many other places. Real Nationalism just wouldn't bed in here.
    Last edited by Apjp; 22-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.

[QUOTE=Apjp;467609]Poland doesn't have a leftwing party in the Sejm anymore and no visible left presence, almost no trade unions and is generally a centre-right country.

That's not quite true, the old left remnant coalition remains shrunk down to it's lowest support around 9% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Left_Alliance
    and fallen further in opinion polls . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...ntary_election
    A new left Razem takes part in the Euro Left and would take more of the old left support by looks but it is not looking that good . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razem
    PO (Civic Platform) sound like the most neo-liberal party and are likely the proverbial fire people might be jumping into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_Platform
    This is no doubt why the FF type PiS (but worse) are popular https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_and_Justice

The thought occurs that Razem (if they want to take off) and SLD (if they want to survive) might copy one aspect of Chavism , that is it's liberation theology link up . I once talked to a leftish soundng Polish woman here in Dublin who supported PiS because of it's relative anti-liberalism, but I get impression that others are anarchisty and don't vote at all . So it's no doubt tricky. Getting stuck up seeming 'know it all' alleys who look down on majorities is a perennial problem for leftsides . In fact there are some who would be happy to have no electoral support at all and turn the left into a bunch of disconnected upper middle class dominated clubs around guru figures , that is the worst danger of all IMO . The overdone religion bashing here is also leading us up an alley
    Last edited by GregTimo; 23-11-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12