Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: West Brit History fest

Default Re: West Brit History fest

Quote Originally Posted by Ceannaire View Post
    “There was no holocaust, (or Holocaust, as my computer software insists) and six million Jews were not murdered by the Third Reich”

How was I not aware of this? How was he ever taken on by the ST in the first place?
    Ah, you're starting see why we hold the likes of Kevin Myers in such contempt!
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Ah, you're starting see why we hold the likes of Kevin Myers in such contempt!

I hold any apologist for Nazism in contempt, whether it is Kevin Myers or IRA chief-of-staff Seán Russell.

I hold any apologist for Nazism in contempt, whether it is Kevin Myers or IRA chief-of-staff Seán Russell.
    What about Apologists for apologists for similar far-right ideologies and racially-tainted historical viewpoints?

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    What about Apologists for apologists for similar far-right ideologies and racially-tainted historical viewpoints?

Very meta there, Apjp.

Speaking in general terms, is an apologist for an apologist by necessity an apologist for the apologism of the apologist? Surely one can apologise for the apologist without apologising for the apologist's apologism; if the apologist's apologies extend only generally to the apologist and not the apologist's apologism, then I don't see that the apologist for the apologist should, by necessity, be inculpated in the apologist's apologism, and while this view may be seen as apologism for the apologist of the apologist, I see no need to be apologetic.

In 2008 Kevin Myers ran a column with the title "Africa is giving nothing to anyone - apart from Aids" - and he was still being published nine years later.
    Last edited by pluralist; 30-07-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Wonder if TV3 will offer Myers the Vinnie Browne show?

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Just the New Journalism of the 1960s in the US being passed off as an original idea by a grottly little man who wants to be thought of as an intellectual.

Regards...jmcc
    I thought it was a given that he's no Aristotle

Very meta there, Apjp.

Speaking in general terms, is an apologist for an apologist by necessity an apologist for the apologism of the apologist? Surely one can apologise for the apologist without apologising for the apologist's apologism; if the apologist's apologies extend only generally to the apologist and not the apologist's apologism, then I don't see that the apologist for the apologist should, by necessity, be inculpated in the apologist's apologism, and while this view may be seen as apologism for the apologist of the apologist, I see no need to be apologetic.[/SIZE]
    Are you a Unionist, a FG West-Brit Southern Unionist or what?

You seem to have a lot of time to devote to defending these Gobsh1tes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I thought it was a given that he's no Aristotle
    Poor old Harristotle. In his own mind he's a man of destiny on a par with the great writers and theorists of Western civilisation. To everyone else he's just an irrelevant little blogger in the Dindo.

Regards...jmcc

Very meta there, Apjp.

Speaking in general terms, is an apologist for an apologist by necessity an apologist for the apologism of the apologist? Surely one can apologise for the apologist without apologising for the apologist's apologism; if the apologist's apologies extend only generally to the apologist and not the apologist's apologism, then I don't see that the apologist for the apologist should, by necessity, be inculpated in the apologist's apologism, and while this view may be seen as apologism for the apologist of the apologist, I see no need to be apologetic.
    You knew what he meant, so why are you being obtuse?

Abuse is an appropriate word when used in relation to physical violence, sex crime and possibly severe emotional/psychological abuse, such as bullying.

Someone disagreeing with you on the internet is not 'abuse', so get a grip.
    Last edited by pluralist; 31-07-2017 at 01:21 AM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    You knew what he meant, so why are you being obtuse?
    Obtuse? I thought that an intellectual such as Apjp would appreciate rigorous logical analysis.

Someone disagreeing with you on the internet is not 'abuse'
    I never said it was?

Abuse is an appropriate word when used in relation to physical violence, sex crime and possibly severe emotional/psychological abuse, such as bullying.
    This is most instructive and I am glad you explained that to me, as I had always understood that "abuse" encompassed verbal/written insults. This misunderstanding is shared by the Merriam Webster Dictionary ("language that condemns or vilifies usually unjustly, intemperately, and angrily"; https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abuse), the Collins English Dictionary ("extremely rude and insulting things that people say when they are angry"; https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../english/abuse) and the Cambridge English Dictionary ("rude and offensive words said to another person"; http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict.../english/abuse).

I am shocked that these dictionaries have misled me and I shall write to them highlighting their error

^ right.

Well, in any case, the media hubbub of the last few days has been disturbing.

Kevin Myers is not a Holocaust denier. He's an idiot and professional contrarian. To see high profile Jewish media figures such as David Aaronovitch joining the pile-on has been particularly concerning.

Kevin Myers interviewed about the whole debacle By Sean O'Rourke. Worth a watch.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/rt...4668/10757882/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123