Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West Brit History fest

Default Re: West Brit History fest

Quote Originally Posted by Ceannaire View Post
    I don't think I've seen so much venom in all my time on this site.

Suggesting that people are mentally ill and revelling in the prospect of their death simply because they are attending a history event that dares to offer a slightly different perspective on Irish history is really unsavoury, to say the least. That a moderator and the administrator are among those posting the hate is particularly disturbing and reflects very poorly on the site, which is generally above this kind of abuse.

And seeing as Phoenix magazine has effectively turned into a glossy version of An Phoblacht, you will forgive me for not taking the article above remotely seriously
    Yeah I hate Irish Unionists. They're *******.

So what?

Don't worry too much, they'll be dead soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceannaire View Post
    I don't think I've seen so much venom in all my time on this site.

Suggesting that people are mentally ill and revelling in the prospect of their death simply because they are attending a history event that dares to offer a slightly different perspective on Irish history is really unsavoury, to say the least. That a moderator and the administrator are among those posting the hate is particularly disturbing and reflects very poorly on the site, which is generally above this kind of abuse.

And seeing as Phoenix magazine has effectively turned into a glossy version of An Phoblacht, you will forgive me for not taking the article above remotely seriously
    Your points have been considered Ceannaire and on the question of the word beginning of r, action taken. However, the expressed opinion that a particular grouping are dinosaurs, and will all soon be dead is mere political opinion, which is what we are here to discuss.

If a case can be made that they have something new or progressive to say, that can of course be made by way of reply on the thread.

C. Flower Admin.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Look, all of these people from the Southern Unionist crew to the current extremist DUP leadership and the fleggers make Ian Paisley Junior look reasonable and really like the man we want to do business with.

Think about that. The son of the most extreme Unionist in history is now a moderate compared to these 'dinosaurs' spread around the Dublin elite in great number as well as the more extreme faction who have taken over the DUP since Robinson's demise.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Your points have been considered Ceannaire and on the question of the word beginning of r, action taken. However, the expressed opinion that a particular grouping are dinosaurs, and will all soon be dead is mere political opinion, which is what we are here to discuss.

If a case can be made that they have something new or progressive to say, that can of course be made by way of reply on the thread.

C. Flower Admin.
    Agreed, apologies, though the sentiment still very much stands of course.

Someone needs to go there, ask them the questions, challenge 'em, record it and put it on Youtube.

Ask them why they never have a word to say about British state forces collusion with Loyalist terrorist atrocities.

Ask them what they have to say about the allegations in this 1991 Channel 4 documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2zC...ture=youtu.be#

and indeed earlier on, in the 1970s, the psychopathic mass murdering terrorists known as the Shankill Butchers.

https://www.amazon.com/Political-Nor.../dp/0140523081
    Last edited by pluralist; 30-07-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Kevin Myers, one of the speakers at the Festival, is trending on Twitter today, for a particularly venomous attack on women and Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Kevin Myers, one of the speakers at the Festival, is trending on Twitter today, for a particularly venomous attack on women and Jews.
    Charming.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Charming indeed. Many years ago he likened me in An Irishman's Diary in the Irish Times to an Israeli paratrooper, neatly bringing two of his obsessions together - feminism and Jews.
    My crime was to present research on gender in education to a Joint Oireachtas Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Charming indeed. Many years ago he likened me in An Irishman's Diary in the Irish Times to an Israeli paratrooper, neatly bringing two of his obsessions together - feminism and Jews.
    My crime was to present research on gender in education to a Joint Oireachtas Committee.
    That's because his career is based on trolling, the more outrageously offensive he gets the more people read his columns.

An Alf Garnett in cerebral clothing.

Harris on the other hand is a more driven type, a cynical propagandist. He's got a job to do and a lot of old scores to settle and will use any trick in the book to attack his targets.

"factualism is fancy foreplay which never penetrates the truth. Factualism is media masturbation" Eoghan Harris

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/81368?print_page=true

A historian would need to have some kind of respect for the factual truth.
    Last edited by Shaadi; 30-07-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Article deleted and apology issued.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...71421?mode=amp

He is getting savaged by the Brits over this and his previous comments on the holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    He is getting savaged by the Brits over this and his previous comments on the holocaust.
    It'll be hilarious to see how many people who jumped on the "je suis Charlie" bandwagon will now end up demonising Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Harris on the other hand is a more driven type, a cynical propagandist. He's got a job to do and a lot of old scores to settle and will use any trick in the book to attack his targets.

"factualism is fancy foreplay which never penetrates the truth. Factualism is media masturbation" Eoghan Harris
    Just the New Journalism of the 1960s in the US being passed off as an original idea by a grottly little man who wants to be thought of as an intellectual.

Regards...jmcc

Not a good day for Mr Myers at the History Fest:

"The Sunday Times press office has confirmed that columnist Kevin Myers will not write again for the Sunday Times Ireland following an article he wrote that has been criticised as anti-Semitic.
    The Sunday Times apologised and said it abhors anti-Semitism after Mr Myers provoked controversy with comments on high-profile women working at the BBC."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0730/89...ssues-apology/

“There was no holocaust, (or Holocaust, as my computer software insists) and six million Jews were not murdered by the Third Reich”

How was I not aware of this? How was he ever taken on by the ST in the first place?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast