Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Brit History fest

Default West Brit History fest

Surely an event not to be missed.... Over the last few years these revisionists appeared to have largely retreated back whence they came.

So who will cough up the cash to spend an evening, or two, in such esteemed company?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170718-130910.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	1243  
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 21-07-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Default Re: West Brit History fest

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post

Surely an event not to be missed.... Over the last few years these revisionists appeared to have largely retreated back whence they came.

So who will cough up the cash to spend an evening, or two, in such esteemed company?
    Sounds like torture to me , Saoirse. The West Cork Literary festival isn't far behind it. Two friends of mine , both retired teachers attended an event where Ruth Dudley Edwards was a speaker. The ladies had never heard of her and so had no preconceptions. Nonetheless , after ten minutes of Unionist vitriol , they felt compelled to leave. Being polite teacher types , they feigned an urgent need to use the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Sounds like torture to me , Saoirse. The West Cork Literary festival isn't far behind it. Two friends of mine , both retired teachers attended an event where Ruth Dudley Edwards was a speaker. The ladies had never heard of her and so had no preconceptions. Nonetheless , after ten minutes of Unionist vitriol , they felt compelled to leave. Being polite teacher types , they feigned an urgent need to use the bathroom.
    I don't think I could have been so polite!

I can only imagine the type of disturbed people who will fork out the cash to attend such an event as this...

What has West Cork done to deserve this?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    What has West Cork done to deserve this?
    Perhaps they were encouraged by the fawning reception Britain's monarch received?

Perhaps they were encouraged by the fawning reception Britain's monarch received?
    Hard to credit that these dinosaurs are still tramping about.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

They'll all be dead soon, don't worry.

I don't think I could have been so polite!

I can only imagine the type of disturbed people who will fork out the cash to attend such an event as this...
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Hard to credit that these dinosaurs are still tramping about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    They'll all be dead soon, don't worry.
    I don't think I've seen so much venom in all my time on this site.

Suggesting that people are mentally ill and revelling in the prospect of their death simply because they are attending a history event that dares to offer a slightly different perspective on Irish history is really unsavoury, to say the least. That a moderator and the administrator are among those posting the hate is particularly disturbing and reflects very poorly on the site, which is generally above this kind of abuse.

And seeing as Phoenix magazine has effectively turned into a glossy version of An Phoblacht, you will forgive me for not taking the article above remotely seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Ceannaire View Post

Suggesting that people are mentally ill and revelling in the prospect of their death simply because they are attending a history event that dares to offer a slightly different perspective on Irish history is really unsavoury, to say the least. That a moderator and the administrator are among those posting the hate is particularly disturbing and reflects very poorly on the site, which is generally above this kind of abuse.

And seeing as Phoenix magazine has effectively turned into a glossy version of An Phoblacht, you will forgive me for not taking the article above remotely seriously
    Pass the smelling salts!
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Haven't been following the President Trump and US presidential election threads then?

Regards...jmcc

Give over.

The motley crew speaking at this event deserve contempt. A "different perspective" is the understatement of the century. I suppose the Orange Order just have a "different perspective" on catholics?

Give over.

The motley crew speaking at this event deserve contempt. A "different perspective" is the understatement of the century. I suppose the Orange Order just have a "different perspective" on catholics?
    I'm not entirely sure if Ceannaire was being serious, but assuming he/she was, his/her post doesn't really deserve a considered response, except perhaps to note that if he/she has only just noticed that An Phoenix is relatively republican in outlook compared to the rest of the grovelling, servile, self-hating, crypto-unionist Irish meeja, then he/she has not been paying attention.

I'm not entirely sure if Ceannaire was being serious, but assuming he/she was, his/her post doesn't really deserve a considered response, except perhaps to note that if he/she has only just noticed that An Phoenix is relatively republican in outlook compared to the rest of the grovelling, servile, self-hating, crypto-unionist Irish meeja, then he/she has not been paying attention.
    I like Ceannaire a lot as a poster and would have no issue with his/her point if the headliners at the gig were well intentioned peaceniks, but that's not the case.

I suspect there's a bit of the old Workers Party passive-aggressiveness at play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I like Ceannaire a lot as a poster and would have no issue with his/her point if the headliners at the gig were well intentioned peaceniks, but that's not the case.

I suspect there's a bit of the old Workers Party passive-aggressiveness at play.
    I agree that the headliners at the 'gig' are very far from being well-intentioned peaceniks. They are - whether knowingly or otherwise (one always has to allow the possibility, however slight, that they are just stupid, or are so far down the route they have taken that they are too old to repent) shills for violent and murderous state terrorism, for war crimes committed by a foreign power in their own country and on their own fellow citizens.

I agree that the headliners at the 'gig' are very far from being well-intentioned peaceniks. They are - whether knowingly or otherwise (one always has to allow the possibility, however slight, that they are just stupid, or are so far down the route they have taken that they are too old to repent) shills for violent and murderous state terrorism, for war crimes committed by a foreign power in their own country and on their own fellow citizens.
    Yes, this is all correct, behind the tongue in cheek nature of my earlier posts in this thread is a serious point - namely that the attitudes and stances of these characters should be challenged.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast