Thread: Current Labour/housing market situation in Galway?

Default Current Labour/housing market situation in Galway?

Hi

I have been in Poland nearly 2 years(having spent 5 months in Prague and a year in Austria before that) and I am looking at moving back to Ireland for a while(probably 1-2 years this time) mostly for family reasons as my Grandad is getting really old now. Anyways Boards.ie is down at the minute and I do not want to post under my name there anyways-politics ie also seemed to have blocked my IP for expressing an opinion at some point no doubt. This is, funnily enough, the one place I can ask for some opinions and information on life in Galway atm without plastering too much across the few Irish boards/discussion sites that exist. Anyways I am hopeful 2 or 3 of you can advise me on this.

I am from the East of the country but the reason 'why Galway' is because I have some family originally from there and would honestly not live anywhere else in Ireland. Like most people, my hometown has Spanish levels of youth unemployment, and I find Dublin to be an overrated inward looking me feiner town. I see there are a few jobs in Galway in Tech support, languages and HR, but my questions(preferably to people informed on the subject) are:

-How bad is the renting situation in your view in terms of demand, availability, price? From what I see, the price of a share is much lower than in Dublin. I am seeing prices online I have not seen in Louth/Meath/Dublin since 2011/12. I am not that worried about getting my own place at first-though that seems to be about 700 quid a month for a bedsit. Bedrooms seem to average between 250-350 from what I see? Prices are comparably good it seems, but is hard to find a place? This is obviously priority number one-also not moving home to rent off of owner occupiers again!!! I would prefer to live within touching distance of the city, not in a commuter town way out. By 'touching distance', I mean a 30 minute walk/cycle max as I know the buses will be Cat.

-What's the employment situation like in Galway in terms of competition? Sure, there are some jobs, but is some IT(Tech support) and HR experience with 2 foreign languages good enough or are they acting the maggot like companies on the East? Honestly, last time I was back a few years ago I was selling strawberries while unemployed half the time-I have very bad memories of companies in Dublin/Meath/Louth not replying to me when I was 22(I am only 3 years older now) due to a 'lack of experience'(when I could get a reply), or inviting me to two interviews for a paid financial internship and then refusing me at the final hurdle over 'this job not really suiting a business and languages graduate'. I am hoping for less bullshit than in the East of the country. The whole experience put me off looking for work in Dublin ever again due to the low number of interviews I got.

-Wages-what are we looking at? Is closer to 30K doable these days?

Anyways I did see on Boards ie before it crashed again that a lot of people have similar ideas about Galway at the moment so I am thinking there will be a lot of competition for a modest number of 'skilled' jobs?

Of course I want to live close to the coast and in a city with a bit of life and soul to it as well. If I could not get an offer for Galway I would probably just move to Germany/Czech Republic and fly home more once I'm earning better money again, but is it really the case that you 'shouldn't bother moving there without an offer first'? The words relocation and Galway don't seem to go together as much in the search engines as they do with crapholes like Dundalk(I love the people there actually, that part of Louth is the friendliest, by craphole I mean jobswise) or those situated in The Green Luas Line companies.

I will be home at Christmas so I am thinking of trying early January, but I would like some sort of feedback from someone living in the locality. On resources: Irishjobs.ie was the big website 4 years ago-do more people use Linkedin now? I see the Fas Job site where I used to pick up casual office work is gone now too.
    Last edited by Apjp; 14-06-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Default Maidir Le: Current Labour/housing market situation in Galway?

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    On resources: Irishjobs.ie was the big website 4 years ago-do more people use Linkedin now? I see the Fas Job site where I used to pick up casual office work is gone now too.

Indeed.com is one of the main ones. Definitely look into it if you haven't already.

Default Re: Current Labour/housing market situation in Galway?

Nothing decent in terms of Jobs in Galway, or the west, and it rains far too much.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

To be honest you will probably be looking at some form of call centre type job with wages starting in the mid twenties. There are lots of jobs now (not on the west though) but they are all fairly crap. If the south east would be of interest PM me and I can give you a few tips for companies that are hiring for these types of job.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    To be honest you will probably be looking at some form of call centre type job with wages starting in the mid twenties. There are lots of jobs now (not on the west though) but they are all fairly crap. If the south east would be of interest PM me and I can give you a few tips for companies that are hiring for these types of job.
    Mainly I need to be closer to home for several important family events next year. If I had a job earning between 25-30K that would be fine. In all honesty I would be happy to spend a good year or so in the west and take off again. I just do not like Dublin at all and do not want to live in an economically depressed provincial town like the area I'm from.

Thanks, but I would only consider job offers in Galway city itself. I am looking on toplanguagejobs a lot since this morning and see there are some French/German IT tech support numbers offering 25K plus. Would be okay for a year or so I think.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Current Labour/housing market situation in Galway?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceannaire View Post

Indeed.com is one of the main ones. Definitely look into it if you haven't already.
    Really? A few years back you only ever saw dodgy door-to-door sales gigs on that site.

What has made them so popular?

Default Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Current Labour/housing market situation in Galway?

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Really? A few years back you only ever saw dodgy door-to-door sales gigs on that site.

What has made them so popular?
    I don't know, but they have increased their staffing in recent years.

There's a couple of language schools in Galway if you were interested in teaching English. Big spot for the Spanish.

I would recommend to live and experience Galway for a few year's anyway. The city has a great youthful buzz. Lots of music and great pub scene. Very laid back and you can wear anything out and about and no one will bat an eyelid. It's much more chilled than Dublin and has a lot less pretentious goons and snobs. Don't get me wrong there are numptys but in general people are just brilliant and friendly...West of Ireland style.

Rent isn't as bad as Dublin but it can be a bit of a pain getting decent accommodation at a decent price. You need to be patient. To rent a room in an apartment share around the city centre is about 400 a month but can be more. Less if you are in the suburb estates.

The public transport is poor and traffic is dire but if you are living in and around the city you can walk most places and definitely bike....it's so small.

On top of that you are near the Burren and Connemara for hiking and if you surf Clare and Mayo coasts aren't far away.

Galway does get a bit small sometimes but then you can always visit Dublin or somewhere for change of scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    There's a couple of language schools in Galway if you were interested in teaching English. Big spot for the Spanish.

I would recommend to live and experience Galway for a few year's anyway. The city has a great youthful buzz. Lots of music and great pub scene. Very laid back and you can wear anything out and about and no one will bat an eyelid. It's much more chilled than Dublin and has a lot less pretentious goons and snobs. Don't get me wrong there are numptys but in general people are just brilliant and friendly...West of Ireland style.

Rent isn't as bad as Dublin but it can be a bit of a pain getting decent accommodation at a decent price. You need to be patient. To rent a room in an apartment share around the city centre is about 400 a month but can be more. Less if you are in the suburb estates.

The public transport is poor and traffic is dire but if you are living in and around the city you can walk most places and definitely bike....it's so small.

On top of that you are near the Burren and Connemara for hiking and if you surf Clare and Mayo coasts aren't far away.

Galway does get a bit small sometimes but then you can always visit Dublin or somewhere for change of scene.
    Yep, some rooms for less than 300 quid alright too a bit further out. I see a lot more jobs there advertised to people abroad rather than in Ireland but on Toplanguagejobs-with higher wages too. I think I will push hard to get a job offer before going home for xmas.

I agree with what you say about Dublin. I studied there for 4 years and lived there for over a year. People there are completely fake and are not interested in knowing outsiders who aren't 'reall dubs'. I have honestly never seen more posers anywhere than in Dublin and would never live there again for that reason alone. Owner Occupier dominance is another reason to avoid it.

I am going to try get a Tech support gig I think. I like a good lifestyle, the coast and a social friendly town too, and Galway seems to fit the bill best.