Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World War 3 - Not a Pretty Sight

Default World War 3 - Not a Pretty Sight

All things being equal, we are heading for WW3, and it is not a pretty sight. Old school economic and political fissures are opening up wider daily between Europe, China, Japan, Russia, Korea and the US.

Today the significant news is that Russia says it has succesfully tested hypersonic missiles. This type of weapons delivery, if reports are correct, makes the billions spent by the US on developing nuclear umbrellas as a component of first strike capacity irrelevant.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/...id=mailsignout

For those who have put these things to the back of their minds successfully it is worth reminding - modern hydrogen bombs have a destructive capacity that makes Nagasaki and Hiroshima look like Sunday School picnics.

Two minutes to midnight ?

http://thebulletin.org/timeline
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: World War 3 - Not a Pretty Sight

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Two minutes to midnight ?
    In the quiet words of George C. Scott, "Commie Bull!"

Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Such silliness. There's not going to be a war between Russia and the US. Maybe would have been if Clinton was elected.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

[QUOTE=TotalMayhem]Forgive me if I don't defer to a B-list Hollywood actor over this. In military terms this has overwritten 30 years of history which has been dominated by a US first strike threat - the crazy Reaganite notion that the US could launch a first strike nuclear missile attack on a nuclear power / Russia and protect itself from any reply by using missiles to bring down the 'defence missiles' launched in response. This 'nuclear umbrella' threat was in part what brought down the USSR. The prospect now is a rebalancing to MAD - mutually assured destruction - or even threat of first strike against the US. Frankly I don't give a damn what G.C. Scott says about this. The break up of the EU, the Trump regime, the continued military conflict in Ukraine, proxy warfare in the Middle East, brinkmanship between North Korea and the US and the emergence of China and conflict over the South China Sea speaks for itself. Anyone with any knowledge of history can smell war in the air. We leave this baby in the hands of the usual suspects and we are toast. Maybe not this year or next year but....
    Last edited by C. Flower; 04-06-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Forgive me if I don't defer to a B-list Hollywood actor over this. In military terms this has overwritten 30 years of history which has been dominated by a US first strike threat - the crazy Reaganite notion that the US could launch a first strike nuclear missile attack on a nuclear power / Russia and protect itself from any reply by using missiles to bring down the 'defence missiles' launched in response. This 'nuclear umbrella' threat was in part what brought down the USSR. The prospect now is a rebalancing to MAD - mutually assured destruction - or even threat of first strike against the US. Frankly I don't give a damn what G.C. Scott says about this. The break up of the EU, the Trump regime, the continued military conflict in Ukraine, proxy warfare in the Middle East, brinkmanship between North Korea and the US and the emergence of China and conflict over the South China Sea speaks for itself. Anyone with any knowledge of history can smell war in the air. We leave this baby in the hands of the usual suspects and we are toast. Maybe not this year or next year but....
    Right and what exactly can 'we' do about it?
    Last edited by C. Flower; 30-06-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Claim from the US armed forces that they have a new laser weapon that can hit a vehicle from a mile away, from a helicopter.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/w...aser-703q2rvjs
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Sweet, next they're gonna stick one of them babies on a Spectre gunship... just bigger!

“It would be real nice someday, since we have the room on an AC-130, perhaps we should be looking at a microwave energy gun that makes people stop what they’re doing without having to kill them,” AFSOC’s Lt. Gen. Bradley Heithold said.
    War is Boring
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

War is big business, and big theft. Following a prolongued boom and mass production, when the average rate of profit has flatlined or slumped, war brings with it the prospect of

- artificially raising production through arms production on the basis of war debt (hoped to be recouped by grab of territory),
    - developing new technologies that will give permanent advantage over rivals
    - channelling angry unemployed into factories and armed forces
    - bombing and creating starvation to wipe out substantial amounts of factory production capacity - and factory workers: hopes of post war boom of rebuilding, capture of new markets, raising profit rate
    - grabbing hold of natural resources and transit routes, land and sea.
    - suppressing democracy and internal opposition in the "interests of Homeland Security".

Trump's election on a populist platform promising jobs for all can only go in this direction.

Trump yesterday berated NATO countries including Britain for not spending enough on arms, and not having a big enough army, and rallied of NATO to aggressive action against Syria, Russia and Iran.

Russia unfortunately is in lala land (as was Gadaffi not so long ago) as Putin and Lavrov clearly believe or at least hope that it is possible to wheel and deal with the US and UK / EU into some form of compromise and coexistence. It is not going to happen.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/w...ssad-ckr9x8d53
    Last edited by C. Flower; 29-06-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Putin and Lavrov clearly believe or at least hope that it is possible to wheel and deal with the US and UK / EU into some form of compromise and coexistence. It is not going to happen.
    `

Wheeling and dealing with that land-grabbing Russian dictator? You're right, unless Putin returns Donbass and Crimea to Ukraine it ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Right and what exactly can 'we' do about it?
    Good question.

Massive marches didn't stop the war on Iraq, or any other war I ever heard about. Mutiny sometimes works. That is basically what brought WW1 to an end.
    I support organisations that give 'active' resistance to wars and support mutinies.

Elections sometimes have some impact but can't be relied on if there is a real drive to war.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

US Special Forces are now active in 70% of the world's countries.

https://www.thenation.com/article/am...tries-in-2017/
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

— Jean-Paul Sartre

US bomber flyover over the South China Sea.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN19S0IU
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Such silliness. There's not going to be a war between Russia and the US. Maybe would have been if Clinton was elected.
    Ever heard of ''war by proxy?'' It's been going on for years.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Ever heard of ''war by proxy?'' It's been going on for years.
    I'm aware of that.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast