Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: US Presidential Election 2020

Default Re: US Presidential Election 2020

The name hurts.........but otherwise he's a substantive guy with a future.......

2020 WATCH -- ISAAC DOVERE interviews PETE BUTTIGIEG in Topeka, Kansas in the latest "Off Message" podcast: "Pete Buttigieg's PAC is investing money here -- but also in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan and Colorado. And Iowa, per an announcement coming Tuesday. Next month, he'll campaign in Ohio.

"It's not happenstance. Nor is keeping on Lis Smith, the hard-charging political operative who makes sure he's constantly in the news. Or keeping up with Obama strategist David Axelrod, who recommended he hire Smith in the first place for the Democratic National Committee chair race that put him on Democrats' radar last year. Or quietly building relationships over dinners and drinks with big-name Democrats, or courting national reporters, or wooing donors for his PAC, or digging in on political advertising research.

"Buttigieg is getting closer to a presidential race. And serious people are telling the South Bend, Indiana mayor, who'd be the first major presidential candidate who's either openly gay or an Afghanistan veteran or a millennial, to take it seriously." https://politi.co/2DXTNNf
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

2020 WATCH ...
    -- NYT's JONATHAN MARTIN in JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI: "Bernie Sanders Courts Black Voters Anew. But an Obama Reference Stings": "Senator Bernie Sanders insists he hasn't decided whether to run again for president, but a 14-hour sprint across the Deep South on Wednesday made clear that he is not only thinking about it but is already trying to remedy his most significant vulnerability in 2016: his lack of support from black voters. ...

"On Wednesday night, after the Jackson forum, Mr. Sanders faced sharp criticism from some African-Americans who thought he had reduced the nation's first black president, Barack Obama, to merely being what Mr. Sanders called a 'charismatic individual.' ...

"'Yes, I'm a fairly private person and I don't like to talk about every aspect of my life,' Mr. Sanders acknowledged in a dressing-room interview after the forum. 'I think a lot of politicians do that in a way that is not appropriate. ... 'Somebody might be interested in what I did 50 years ago, that's fine,' Mr. Sanders said with an evident lack of enthusiasm. 'Or what I did yesterday. But what people have got to start focusing on is not me. It's how we transform America.'" https://nyti.ms/2uLQRDK

-- CLIP AND SAVE: "Warren: I'll serve my full Senate term if reelected," by Massachusetts Playbooker Lauren Dezenski in Dorchester, Massachusetts: "Elizabeth Warren said she would serve her full six-year term in the Senate if reelected this November. 'Yes, that's my plan. I'm running for the United States Senate in 2018,' Warren told reporters Thursday, when asked if she would commit to serving out her full term. 'I am not running for president of the United States. That's my plan.'" https://politi.co/2H1vRxM

-- "Kander hires Des Moines Register scribe amid 2020 buzz," by California Playbooker David Siders and Isaac Dovere: "Potential 2020 presidential candidate Jason Kander is hiring an Iowa-based communications director as his national organization staffs up. Kander, the former Missouri secretary of state and failed 2016 Senate candidate who has become an unlikely national Democratic figure, is bringing on Jason Noble, who on Friday announced he was leaving his job as political reporter for the Des Moines Register." https://politi.co/2uMDdAg
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I really hope not, and don't think he has much of a personality chance, but he can raise money, (for all the good that did Jeb Bush in 2016). I think he is too closely identified with both Clintons.

2020 WATCH -- "The Macker readies for a second act," by Richmond Times-Dispatch's Jeff E. Schapiro: "In his kids' Jeep, Terry McAuliffe -- the Man of Constant Motion -- is driving himself to his youngest daughter's lacrosse game. It's been four years since he spent much time behind the wheel. McAuliffe got used to someone else doing the driving. With a laugh, he says he could get used to it again. Three months after leaving the Virginia governorship, the perquisites of which included a lumbering black SUV driven by a state trooper, McAuliffe is considering a second act: the presidency. ... These days, McAuliffe is doing what national prospects are supposed to do: traveling to key states, plumping for his party's candidates, tweeting, talking -- and listening.

"He's squeezed in down time, relaxing with family and friends in Jamaica, the Bahamas, Miami Beach, Los Angeles and San Diego. And McAuliffe is re-familiarizing himself with automobiles. The McAuliffe who might seek the White House is very different from the McAuliffe who won the Executive Mansion. The personality is the same: hyper-caffeinated, smash-mouth, transactional, big-hearted, attuned to slights - actual and perceived. However, McAuliffe, once a national election operative, now has a record as a state elective official." http://bit.ly/2qfCOBa

i'm a bit confused by Paul Ryan move today but could he be positioning himself to run in 2020 or is his withdrawal just an admission to his massive failure as Speaker of the House?

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    i'm a bit confused by Paul Ryan move today but could he be positioning himself to run in 2020 or is his withdrawal just an admission to his massive failure as Speaker of the House?
    For once, most commentators seem to take him at his word, about spending more time with family, for now.
    He was a reluctant, and compromise candidate for speaker, and has raised double the amount of money he pledged to. He says he's not running for Prez.....in 2020

I think it's almost impossible for anyone to successfully lead the current house caucus. They're so fractured, it's like herding cats.
    Maybe that will change in 2019 if they suffer enough in the mid-terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    For once, most commentators seem to take him at his word, about spending more time with family, for now.
    He was a reluctant, and compromise candidate for speaker, and has raised double the amount of money he pledged to. He says he's not running for Prez.....in 2020

I think it's almost impossible for anyone to successfully lead the current house caucus. They're so fractured, it's like herding cats.
    Maybe that will change in 2019 if they suffer enough in the mid-terms.

hmmm.... he announced this just 3 days after the FBI raided Cohen offices?

and now we got 3 more days and T's on fire, dropped a few "surgical" bombs in Syria and no one really cares, and his mouth piece swept in our Spring cleaning ?

As President Trump's campaign aides quietly launch his reelection campaign, they're eyeing two states as possible pickups for 2020: Minnesota, where Trump came close in 2016 without even trying; and Colorado, where his hands-off approach to marijuana enforcement is a possible selling point.

• The addition of those states is part of a plan that's coming together in a basement suite at the Republican National Committee, where the Trump campaign has moved from Trump Tower.
    • The campaign, now fewer than 10 people, eventually will number hundreds.

The reelection campaign will mostly work under the radar until after midterms, providing Trump assets (volunteers, fundraising, rallies) to other campaigns.

• But Jonathan Swan and I got a first look at campaign manager Brad Parscale’s plans to build what amounts to a massive marketing machine, selling the world’s most prominent product.

Why it matters: In 2016, Trump Tower campaign staffers were proud of their pirate-ship ambush of the Republican establishment, then of the U.S.S. Clinton. But this time they won’t have the advantage of surprise.

• So the Trump team has to build a longer range, more systematic plan, without suffocating Trump’s improvisational essence.
    • Parscale, who considers past presidential campaigns archaic, is emphasizing digital innovation, technological streamlining and corporate efficiency.
    • Parscale told us: “We’re crushing it in prospecting."

What’s new: It’s a sign of the times — and a reflection of what worked for Trump — that the digital director of the 2016 campaign will be the boss of the whole 2020 campaign.

• It’s a fresh way of flouting campaign orthodoxy, and gives Trump the comfort of elevating one of his originals.

Why he matters: Parscale, 42, is a completely unconventional choice for campaign manager and one that has raised eyebrows inside the White House and among Republican campaign veterans.

• Some inside the White House have told us they believe he “got lucky” by hitching his wagon to a candidate who won despite his campaign, not because of it.
    • Parscale had no history in politics before the 2016 campaign, and doesn't plan to work in politics beyond the 2020 campaign.
    • His connection is to the Trump family — and especially to Jared Kushner and Eric Trump.
    • Parscale launched the digital side of the Trump campaign from the San Antonio office of his firm Giles-Parscale, which grew to over 100 people as the campaign peaked, with revenues of $79 million for the cycle (much of which went to Facebook).

Some alumni of the last campaign say Parscale's role exceeded his title as digital director: In late August 2016, after the departure of Paul Manafort, Parscale moved to Trump Tower, with a hand in various parts of the operation, including finances and events.

• Parscale sold his interest in Giles-Parscale in August, and moved to the Washington area about eight weeks ago. (He now works through a new firm, Parscale Strategy.)

The HQ: Trump 2020 will be squarely in the Swamp.

• Like the George W. Bush reelection campaign of 2004, the campaign plans to be based in a close-in Virginia suburb — for proximity to the White House, and easy access to Dulles and DCA.

Count me as one who hopes Bloomberg gets in in 2020. Americans are not too keen on coronations, but if he seeks the D nomination, (probably the only way he could win),
    the D's should hand it to him on a plate. He has more gravitas and political experience, (3 terms mayor of Gotham) to say nothing of money, than most other names being floated. He would likely attract other "Billionaire Money" to counter the corporate money on the other side.

Mayor Bloomberg goes big in '18, raising '20 buzz
    Former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg "has approved a plan to pour at least $80 million into the 2018 election, with the bulk of that money going to support Democratic congressional candidates," the N.Y. Times' Alex Burns reports.

• From Bloomberg's statement: "I have plenty of disagreements with some Democrats, especially those who seek to make this election about impeachment. Nothing could be more irresponsible."
    • "But I believe that ‘We the People’ cannot afford to elect another Congress that lacks the courage to reach across the aisle and the independence to assert its constitutional authority. And so I will support Democratic candidates who are committed to doing both."

Be smart: Bloomberg's commitment is a step toward running for president as a Democrat in 2020, and some longtime allies think/hope he might get the band back together.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump won again, in similar fashion.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456