Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: US Presidential Election 2020

Default Re: US Presidential Election 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I've come across multiple comments in the last couple of days pushing Bill Gates as the Dem candidate for 2020. At first I thought it was just a joke but it bizarrely seems to be growing some legs with the online commentrolliat.

And yeah I know most online comment trolls are either insane or Russiabots, I merely mention it as a curious trend I've noticed
    well yes thank you for that (ih ih - that is PT lady laugh, in case you are wondering )

it would be interesting - that is for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post

Once again, these people are not popular because they represent the Status Quo. Some Americans I have met, and I understand this to some extent even if was a crazy albeit very human reaction, voted for Trump just to protest against the system. It's a very human reaction and it's what people do when not given much of a choice.
    with all due respect they've got to be complete r-tards to vote for Trump in protest ...

if you go and vote for trump you better be a believer

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    with all due respect they've got to be complete r-tards to vote for Trump in protest ...

if you go and vote for trump you better be a believer
    When democracy ceases to mean anything to some people, they vote against the status quo out of protest.

I can't imagine a more human reaction than that. History is full of such examples-The Weimar Republic being one.

I am not saying Trump is good, I am saying Clinton was so bad in some people's eyes, and more important than any faults on her record, she represented the status quo, that it gave him enough angry people who didn't actually 'believe'.

You don't really think they all believed in him?

Others, like in Pennsylvania, were less angry but felt they had nothing to lose from shaking things up, it seems.

In my experience the majority of people generally are r..tards..but in this case it wasn't much of a choice in fairness to them.

=Apjp;468936 When democracy ceases to mean anything to some people, they vote against the status quo out of protest.

I can't imagine a more human reaction than that. History is full of such examples-The Weimar Republic being one.

I am not saying Trump is good, I am saying Clinton was so bad in some people's eyes, and more important than any faults on her record, she represented the status quo , that it gave him enough angry people who didn't actually 'believe'.
    and that was the reason i didn't support her initially .. i supported her only after she became the nominee (same for the Count as I recall) .. considering the opponent is the type of human filth i was quite familiar with

You don't really think they all believed in him?
    i am not sure about this .. there is a cult of the strong man around him .. a lot of his supporters believe he is their Supreme Leader

Billy Graham who died today (thankfully) is on record saying that Trump was helped by G-d, that G-d placed his hand on Trump's shoulder (you know that G-d is a man, right?) and anointed and blessed his run for the presidency and that's why he won... ( i just heard this on the radio if you thinking i am just being sarcastic ..)

Albright..who was delighted at the starvation of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis in the same way that psycho Clinton was delighted at the brutal and sadistically illegal murder of Gaddafi after the equally disgusting Nato bombings of Libya..

I am not in Cumann na Mban but I would like to think in a real democracy, there would be some women who are a bit more human and thus electable than those 2.

Once again, these people are not popular because they represent the Status Quo. Some Americans I have met, and I understand this to some extent even if was a crazy albeit very human reaction, voted for Trump just to protest against the system. It's a very human reaction and it's what people do when not given much of a choice.
    I think what Sen Diane Fienstein said about women not being able to be elected Prez is bad analysis. Except Kamala Harris who is 50ish, the people mentioned in that piece are all 75+. They refuse to publicly concede that Hillary was a bad candidate with lots of baggage, and exuded a sense of entitlement to the Presidency. But you'd hardly expect someone to say that at a party to honor Hillary.

Not to defend what she said, but AFAIK, Albright has never run for elected office.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

and that was the reason i didn't support her initially .. i supported her only after she became the nominee (same for the Count as I recall) .. considering the opponent is the type of human filth i was quite familiar with

i am not sure about this .. there is a cult of the strong man around him .. a lot of his supporters believe he is their Supreme Leader

Billy Graham who died today (thankfully) is on record saying that Trump was helped by G-d, that G-d placed his hand on Trump's shoulder (you know that G-d is a man, right?) and anointed and blessed his run for the presidency and that's why he won... ( i just heard this on the radio if you thinking i am just being sarcastic ..)
    Correct! Had Kasich won the R nomination, I would have voted for him, not to mention that I had money on him.........
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I feel that Clinton was essentially running trying to pass herself off as the re-election of the last govt. , which in some ways she was, but she seemed to have differed with Obama and Kerry on a lot of things too and she was embroiled in some scandals as well as the Libya thing which tarnished her image internationally..

That didn't work though because she was always very extreme on international politics. It might have been a small part of why some people did not vote for her(war-weariness). There were basically a whole bunch of reasons not to vote for her based on what she'd actually done and said in office..she was an enormous Russiaphobe to such an extent that Obama had to slap her down harshly for criticising Russian elections-that Russian elections are not all that democratic being beside the point as it came in 2012/13 just at a time when relations really began to deteriorate..she wasn't very diplomatic, she had numerous scandals around her, a poor record on monitoring the connections between her dept. her foundation and she comes across as cold and brutal. Trump in comparison had never been elected and all his horrible quotes and his general sluggish personality didn't matter much as the whole establishment were out to get him, hence he could be seen as an outsider, no matter how repulsive. My grandmother lives in Pennsylvania as do other relatives of mine. It seems to have been a crucial swing state where many people were out of work for years..

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    I think what Sen Diane Fienstein said about women not being able to be elected Prez is bad analysis. Except Kamala Harris who is 50ish, the people mentioned in that piece are all 75+. They refuse to publicly concede that Hillary was a bad candidate with lots of baggage, and exuded a sense of entitlement to the Presidency. But you'd hardly expect someone to say that at a party to honor Hillary.

Not to defend what she said, but AFAIK, Albright has never run for elected office.
    Yeah, you are right-she was a diplomat before getting in as the Sec. of State. A horrible excuse for a human being in my view, and even louder than Clinton on foreign politics.

I feel that Clinton was essentially running trying to pass herself off as the re-election of the last govt. , which in some ways she was, but she seemed to have differed with Obama and Kerry on a lot of things too and she was embroiled in some scandals as well as the Libya thing which tarnished her image internationally..
    she wasn't trying to pass herself off - the would have been the continuum of what we had with Obama - people forget that Sec of State is one job and a very different job is the Presidency

That didn't work though because she was always very extreme on international politics. It might have been a small part of why some people did not vote for her(war-weariness). There were basically a whole bunch of reasons not to vote for her based on what she'd actually done and said in office..she was an enormous Russiaphobe to such an extent that Obama had to slap her down harshly for criticising Russian elections-that Russian elections are not all that democratic being beside the point as it came in 2012/13 just at a time when relations really began to deteriorate..she wasn't very diplomatic, she had numerous scandals around her, a poor record on monitoring the connections between her dept. her foundation and she comes across as cold and brutal. Trump in comparison had never been elected and all his horrible quotes and his general sluggish personality didn't matter much as the whole establishment were out to get him, hence he could be seen as an outsider, no matter how repulsive.
    people in the US did not care at all about her war-readiness, that is not in the mind of Americans when they cast a ballot for a politician, and people were basically clueless that she is/was a Russiaphobe (if that was better known her margin of the popular vote would have been bigger) - however, what it did was that it turned a LOT of people outside the US against her, and i think that these 'other' outside opinions actually ended up having an impact on the results of the election here ..

what i saw (from the US perspective) is that for the first time ever people in other countries were as engaged (or even more engaged) than people here in the US and they did act politically online on social media and that without a doubt had a snow ball effect here ..

I think that at this point the CIA/FBI/NSA and Co know this but they have no clue what to do to fix it.

My grandmother lives in Pennsylvania as do other relatives of mine. It seems to have been a crucial swing state where many people were out of work for years..
    yes i think that in Pennsylvania that was a factor .. as was in many other rustbelt towns around the great lakes

yes i think that in Pennsylvania that was a factor .. as was in many other rustbelt towns around the great lakes
    You know what James Carville (the rajun cajun) says about Pennsylvania...........

You have Philly at one end, Pittsburgh at the other, and Alabama in between......

SIREN -- GABE DEBENEDETTI on FORMER HOUSE BUDGET CHAIRMAN (and current Ohio Governor) JOHN KASICH -- "Kasich's team gears up for possible 2020 bid": "John Kasich's inner circle is gearing up for a possible presidential run in 2020 - actively weighing the prospect of a Republican primary challenge to President Donald Trump against the feasibility of a long-shot general election campaign as an independent.

"And there's one consideration driving their thinking perhaps more than any other: what some of his advisers consider the very real, maybe even likely, possibility that Trump doesn't run again - by choice or not - or that the president becomes so politically hobbled by late next year that the political landscape fundamentally shifts in Kasich's favor. That's one reason Kasich has yet to decide whether to pursue an independent bid or a primary challenge. ...

"None of this is to say Kasich is a go for 2020.
    But his activity has undergone a marked shift from just a few months ago, when Kasich and his allies repeatedly denied any interest whatsoever in the White House, even as he embarked on a book tour." http://politi.co/2HEGDrl

There's an increasing belief in the US that big city Mayors can be viable candidates.........

2020 WATCH ...
    -- POST AND COURIER: "As 2020 Democratic primary warms up, L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti stakes early claim to South Carolina," by Jamie Lovegrove: "Eric Garcetti insists he's plenty busy just being mayor of Los Angeles right now.

"But as he traversed early presidential primary state South Carolina this week, the 47-year-old California native was already testing a national-oriented stump speech.

"He stopped by a Waffle House in Mauldin. He autographed baseballs. He roused a diverse crowd in the Democratic stronghold of lower Richland County. He toured an automotive research center at Clemson University wearing a tiger paw lapel pin. He raised more than $30,000 for local Democrats and met with many of the state party's most influential movers and shakers. ...

"'I wish I could say that Mayor Garcetti was here because of me,' joked U.S. Rep. Jim Clyburn, D-Columbia, at a Wednesday unveiling for a statue of the first black professor at the University of South Carolina. 'But I think he has other things on his mind.'" http://bit.ly/2opVoq6

Kamala Harris positions herself for White House run
    By Amie Parnes
    Sen. Kamala Harris is increasingly positioning herself for a what is expected to be a crowded Democratic primary for the White House in 2020.

The former California attorney general, who is just at the beginning of her second year in the Senate, is taking positions that could endear herself with the Democratic base while allowing her to stand out from a group of Democrats who might seek the progressive mantle.
    Read the full story here

I think only one of these three will actually run........
    Three black women could beat Trump
    By Juan Williams
    OPINION | The three strongest Democratic challengers to President Trump’s reelection are now all black women.
    Read the full story here

-- "Team Biden mulls far-out options to take on Trump in 2020": "On the list: announcing his candidacy either really early or really late in the primary process so that he'd define the field around him or let it define itself before scrambling the field; skipping Iowa and New Hampshire and going straight to South Carolina, where he has always had a strong base of support; announcing a running mate right out of the gate and possibly picking one from outside of politics; and making a pitch that he can be a bridge not just to disaffected Democrats, but to Republicans revolting against President Donald Trump.

"They've also discussed an idea some donors and supporters have been pitching Biden on directly for months: kick off by announcing that he'd only run for one term. One person who's pitched the idea said Biden would try to sell voters on "a reset presidency." The former vice president would pick a younger Democratic running mate and argue that he'd be the elder statesman to get the country and government back in order post-Trump and be the bridge to the next generation." http://politi.co/2IenYmt

2020 WATCH -- "Democrats Consider Dropping Superdelegates Altogether," by BuzzFeed's Ruby Cramer and Ryan C. Brooks: "The Unity Reform Commission, formed by Sanders and Clinton to review the party's nominating process, has since proposed a new system to effectively reduce superdelegates by about 60%: Elected officials and distinguished party leaders would remain 'unpledged' superdelegates, able to cast their vote for any candidate. The remaining superdelegates, namely the 447 members of the DNC, would have their delegates 'bound' to the their state's primary or caucus vote." http://bzfd.it/2p1kgnx

Biden gears up with big-name advisory board

With 2020 buzz about him rising, former Vice President Biden today will announce a big-name list of members of the Biden Institute Policy Advisory Board.

• The list includes Sarah Bianchi, Anthony Foxx, Juleanna Glover, Danielle Gray, Ernie Moniz, Jim Murren (chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International), Tom Nides, David Plouffe, Bruce Reed, Arturo S. Rodríguez (president of the United Farm Workers of America), Peter Scher, Steve Schmidt, Larry Summers, Sally Yates, Heather Zichal and many more.
    • See the full list.

Also today, Biden lays out a three-part vision, "A Plan to Put Work — and Workers — First," which he says is aimed at restoring the basic bargain we used to have in this country:

• "First, we need to make sure hard-working Americans have the skills and opportunities to succeed in the jobs of the future."
    • "Second, we need to make sure people are paid fairly for their work. Those who work hard and do their part should share in the benefits, allowing them to earn a good living and get ahead."
    • "And third, we need policies that allow the middle class to maintain or improve their standard of living. A small pay raise doesn't help much if the costs of housing, health care, and education are rising significantly more."

Go deeper: This fact sheet digs into policy ideas that Biden and his team have been working on for the first point above.

P.S. Trump tweets this morning: "Crazy Joe Biden is trying to act like a tough guy. Actually, he is weak, both mentally and physically, and yet he threatens me, for the second time, with physical assault. He doesn’t know me, but he would go down fast and hard, crying all the way. Don’t threaten people Joe!"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast