Thread: The Kenny Text: A United Ireland coup?

Default The Kenny Text: A United Ireland coup?

Enda Kenny, soon to leave his role as Taoiseach, may well have secured his legacy. In a summit of all 27 EU leaders today, a declaration was unanimously and promptly agreed which could be a very unexpected inducement for anti-Brexit voters in Northern Ireland to vote for a united Ireland in some future referendum. Well done, that civil servant who spotted the connection with the reunification of Germany agreement.

"The declaration, known in Brussels as the “Kenny text”, says: “The European Council acknowledges that the Good Friday Agreement expressly provides for an agreed mechanism whereby a united Ireland may be brought about through peaceful and democratic means.
    “In this regard, the European Council acknowledges that, in accordance with international law, the entire territory of such a united Ireland would thus be part of the European Union.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...tion-1.3066569

Default Re: The Kenny Text: A United Ireland coup?

The significance escapes me really. As far as I know the EU has no legislation around existing members having to be the same size always. If a member becomes bigger or smaller it does not matter ... it remains a member. If Scotland had left Britain while Britain was a member it would have affected nothing apart from Britain being smaller. Britain would still have been a member. Similarly, if Ireland gets bigger all it means is that a bigger Ireland is a member. This all seems blindingly obvious to me. I fail to see where the "coup" is and why this even has to be stated at all.
    Last edited by Sam Lord; 29-04-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    The significance escapes me really. As far as I know the EU has no legislation around existing members having to be the same size always. If a member becomes bigger or smaller it does not matter ... it remains a member. If Scotland has left Britain while Britain was a member it would have affected nothing apart from Britain being smaller. Britain would still have been a member. Similarly, if Ireland gets bigger all it means is that a bigger Ireland is a member. This all seems blindingly obvious to me. I fail to see where the "coup" is and why this even has to be stated at all.
    I am not sure about that Sam as i follow the conversations of some friends in Spain and the question of Cataluña independence always comes up.. I am not an expert in EU law of course not - but it is possible that a breakaway province from one of "members" would have to file for an Application as a NEW member which is completely different than just folding NI into a current ROI member AND follow the blueprint set up by Germany. It is brilliant. Whatever you guys think of the man...no one will ever take that credit away from him if it happens.

Other members here or in other forums would be much better informed as re the Scottish case... In that case it is Not clear to me that they immediately become another member of the EU if they vote for independence. Now after article 50 is triggered then it may be a different story with the Scots cos Britain becomes a non-member and a 2nd or 3rd class customer.

Also just to reiterate this is major news in Brussels as my friends there were discussing it with some livelihood.. I read this piece maybe 2-3 days ago and didn't dare post it here cos most members are against the EU anyway ... imagine that Ireland would become unified and 'completely independent' cos the EU helped?

Scotland would have to reapply for membership, and Spain would definitely insist on that.

I suppose the Irish situation needs clarification because the North will have been part of a UK that exited the EU and could have been a grey area in the event of Irish reunification.

Also, although it doesn't count for much in concrete terms, but I think there is an acknowledgement in Europe that the Irish nations natural extent is the entire island.

Scotland having to apply in the case of leaving Britain has nothing in common with the 6 counties joining Ireland.

If Newfoundland decided, for some reason, to leave Canada tomorrow and join Ireland and was accepted there would be no implication for Ireland's membership of the EU. Ireland would still be a member same as always ... just slightly bigger. Unless there is some law that members are not allowed to get bigger or smaller that I am not aware of...

I still don't see the significance.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Scotland would have to reapply for membership, and Spain would definitely insist on that.

I suppose the Irish situation needs clarification because the North will have been part of a UK that exited the EU and could have been a grey area in the event of Irish reunification.

Also, although it doesn't count for much in concrete terms, but I think there is an acknowledgement in Europe that the Irish nations natural extent is the entire island.
    Any voluteers for reading the two accession treaties, Ireland and UK, and all the other relevant treaties and intergovernmental agreements since then ?

So, what is Kenny's game if not just to try to pull this issue from under SF's feet ? I have no idea.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The significance of this is that it has utterly shifted mainstream Irish nationalism and republicanism from a critical position on, and indeed opposition to, the European Union into a position of enthusiastic and wholehearted support. This has nailed the national aspirations of mainstream Irish nationalism to the European project.

Look how easily SF in particular changed their tune on the EU (to little critical commentary from members).
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

I think, with SF, it has less to do with being an ardent supporter of the EU, and more to do with opportunism. Also, in the absence of any left alternative, I think being a reluctant supporter of the EU is more prudent at the moment. The UK could become very unpleasant if the Tories win this election, and are in power when the UK takes its first steps outside the EU.

Can you imagine a France led by Le Pen exiting the EU as well.

A lesson from European history and especially the break-up of the Habsburg and Ottoman empires should be heeded. A power vacuum without a progressive alternative to take it's place can turn very nasty very quickly...especially now, it is parties from the right that are trying to take their country's out in the first place.

There's a wiff of early early twentieth century in the air with global politics at the moment...but without the rise of a strong leftist movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    I think, with SF, it has less to do with being an ardent supporter of the EU, and more to do with opportunism. Also, in the absence of any left alternative, I think being a reluctant supporter of the EU is more prudent at the moment. The UK could become very unpleasant if the Tories win this election, and are in power when the UK takes its first steps outside the EU.

Can you imagine a France led by Le Pen exiting the EU as well.

A lesson from European history and especially the break-up of the Habsburg and Ottoman empires should be heeded. A power vacuum without a progressive alternative to take it's place can turn very nasty very quickly...especially now, it is parties from the right that are trying to take their country's out in the first place.

There's a wiff of early early twentieth century in the air with global politics at the moment...but without the rise of a strong leftist movement.
    It is also a slap in the face for the U.K (delivered from Angela via Kenny ?). It is more or less an invitation to the North to leave the U.K. Brexit is going to get rough.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    So, what is Kenny's game if not just to try to pull this issue from under SF's feet ? I have no idea.
    He's a collaborator and has allowed a United Ireland to become a political football for the sake of his "friends" in Brussels. The EUnuchs don't give a damn about Ireland or a United Ireland. They are simply trying to undermine the UK's negotiating position. This whole thing has the capability to get very dirty, very quickly. The UK realises by now that it has the capability to split the EU on an East/West axis and inflict near mortal damage just by repatriating Eastern European EU citizens who are unemployed and then dealing with EU citizens currently dependent on social housing and benefits. This would have massive economic implications for the economies of those countries and German and France could not immediately cope with the influx.

Regards...jmcc