Thread: Boom Ireland

Default Boom Ireland

A new study by Pew Research compares middle class income between the US and 11 EU countries over the period 1991 - 2010. Guess which little green country came out on top? Typical long Pew product. I've just read the first page.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/04/24/...estern-europe/

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: Boom Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    A new study by Pew Research compares middle class income between the US and 11 EU countries over the period 1991 - 2010. Guess which little green country came out on top? Typical long Pew product. I've just read the first page.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/04/24/...estern-europe/

"To 2010" ?

Why is Pew releasing this now ? There are numerous studies based on more recent data showing that the economic divide has widened in Ireland post crash.

From 1991 to 2010, the shares of adults living in middle-income households increased in France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, but shrank in Germany, Italy and Spain.1
    It would be interesting to view what has happened 1991-1915 of 16.

And does Pew look at just income, or also prices? services?

In Ireland, VAT and prices are very high, services very patchy. This seems not to tell us anything much and because it captures the boom period and not the post-bust, is kind of misleading.

And of course it is looking at equality within each State, not individual spending power/quality of life.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Irrelevant and outdated.

I would suggest you try renting anything other than a bedroom in Ireland Count and tell me again how wealthy people are.

Much to the chagrin of jmcc.......I'm going to suggest that both CF and Apjp are, wait for it, .........clueless.

Of course there are newer studies on individual countries, but they don't necessarily measure exactly what's measured in this study. With international studies you have to make sure that you are measuring apples to apples, and initial stats often later get revised up and down.

Methodology

BY RAKESH KOCHHAR
    Data source

The data for this analysis are obtained from the Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg (LIS), a research center that harmonizes and provides access to data from government surveys and other sources for a large number of countries. Of the 12 countries included in this study, the latest available data for eight countries – Finland, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, the UK and the U.S. – are for 2013, and the latest data available for Denmark, France, Ireland and Italy are for 2010.
    Read more under the methodology tab.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Ireland had fastest growing GDP in EU in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...DP_growth_rate

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Irrelevant and outdated.

I would suggest you try renting anything other than a bedroom in Ireland Count and tell me again how wealthy people are.

Why are people still reading Count B.ullshit's ludicrous spam? I blocked him ages ago.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Why are people still reading Count B.ullshit's ludicrous spam? I blocked him ages ago.
    Ha ha! You're a faker. You haven't blocked me at all. Not that I care either way.For the record here are three consecutive posts from just a month ago, in early April 2017 in the Chelsea Manning thread.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...038#post463038

#10 http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...039#post463039

#11 http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...043#post463043I

f you had blocked me, you wouldn't have been able to see my post # 9........

Drunk again?

f you had blocked me, you wouldn't have been able to see my post # 9........
    Good point!
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Good point!
    I wish I could see your comment, but i have you blocked!

Much to the chagrin of jmcc.......I'm going to suggest that both CF and Apjp are, wait for it, .........clueless.

Of course there are newer studies on individual countries, but they don't necessarily measure exactly what's measured in this study. With international studies you have to make sure that you are measuring apples to apples, and initial stats often later get revised up and down.

Read more under the methodology tab.
    Still outdated and irrelevant no matter who it is to the chagrin of.

In any case, any study on Ireland that does not measure the impact of the renting sector, or the mortgage crisis, commuting and living costs on people's DISPOSABLE income is pure nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Still outdated and irrelevant no matter who it is to the chagrin of.

In any case, any study on Ireland that does not measure the impact of the renting sector, or the mortgage crisis, commuting and living costs on people's DISPOSABLE income is pure nonsensical.
    Since you appear not to have read, and certainly not understood the first page of the report, how exactly do you know it hasn't measured the components you cite?
    Or is that too difficult for your tabloid brain?

Oops!

From today's IT.

Despite looming concerns over Brexit, Ireland is on course to be the fastest growing economy in the euro zone for a fourth straight year, according to Davy Stockbrokers. In its latest economic outlook the firm predicts that gross domestic product (GDP) will grow by 5 per cent in 2017, up from a previous forecast of 3.7 per cent. Eoin Burke-Kennedy has the details.

Since you appear not to have read, and certainly not understood the first page of the report, how exactly do you know it hasn't measured the components you cite?
    Or is that too difficult for your tabloid brain?
    Sorry for the late reply good sir.

You're the one who consumes more media than anyone on here. I would say someone who read the news, and much more than just the news, in 4 languages is far less likely to have a 'tabloid brain'.

At this stage it looks like your whole existence on here is to try and bore the rest of us into not using this site at all with your spamming of us with non-stop rubbish, nonsense, and in this case, a 7 year old study.

You must really be a sad little man to exist only to abuse others online. The typical arrogant Yank-the worst type of American. All you're good for is shouting over others and hurling abuse.

I have used this site for 7 years and you are the first person who has not used it to voice their own opinions. That's what really disgusts me about all your posts. This particular thread seems to be a fantastic attempt to paint Ireland as some economic powerhouse when it is in social chaos and has record levels of homelessness, housing costs and inequality. On what I have read above I would have you down as someone likely to vote Fine Gael and you deserve about as much respect the way you go on.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

I'll take no lectures on literacy nor intelligence from an ould fella that resorts to insults at every opportunity then takes offence at the slightest criticism of his copy and paste show and tell rubbish.
    Last edited by Apjp; 08-05-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Yes, yes, Count B. The problem is that you have headlined a study based on pre-crash data as 'boom Ireland'and suggested that there is something new about it. The study content is something completely different - trends towards equality / inequality in Europe up to the crash.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Yes, yes, Count B. The problem is that you have headlined a study based on pre-crash data as 'boom Ireland'and suggested that there is something new about it. The study content is something completely different - trends towards equality / inequality in Europe up to the crash.
    The data in the report is from the time period 1991-2010. The report itself is dated April 26, 2017.

Footnote #3 on page 1.

1. The selection of countries from Western Europe is based on the availability of comparable data for 1991, 2000, 2010 and 2013 or for years close to those dates. The year 2010 is the latest date for which LIS data are available for all 12 countries, while data for 2013 are available for eight of these countries. Data for years later than 2013 is not yet available from LIS. The LIS data may be accessed at http://www.lisdatacenter.org/. See Methodology for more on the source data and the specific survey dates for all countries. Other studies of a similar nature, albeit varying in methodology, countries included and time period covered, include those by DIW Berlin, France Stratégie, Bigot, et al, and the International Labour Organization (ILO).

If you seriously think people in the US would consistently pay attention to Pew if they were repeatedly relying on out of date data, then you're even more oblivious than I imagined.