Thread: Ownership of health resources

Default Ownership of health resources

May I ask a simple question.? What prevents the State compulsory acquiring the Elm Park site ? After all the State is and has been the funder of most of what happens there.

Default Re: Ownership of health resources

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    May I ask a simple question.? What prevents the State compulsory acquiring the Elm Park site ? After all the State is and has been the funder of most of what happens there.
    I have a vague memory that legislation was changed a few years back to widen CPO powers.

Not sure of the current law, but the law can always be changed.

I am 100% in favour of all core health services being in public ownership - and the terms should be that all previous funding is knocked off whatever it paid (reasonable / normal market price minus previous contributions or tax reliefs).
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

It has been floated here and there in the recent discussions re Vincents.

However, a better solution would be for the holy nuns (and, more importantly their representatives on the hospital group) to gift the land to the state, no strings attached.

CPO is a blunt instrument and would definitely be dragged into the courts.

It has been floated here and there in the recent discussions re Vincents.

However, a better solution would be for the holy nuns (and, more importantly their representatives on the hospital group) to gift the land to the state, no strings attached.

CPO is a blunt instrument and would definitely be dragged into the courts.
    Do you believe in miracles ?

A gynae/doctor from St Vincents said that in 7 years he had only done two sterilisations, and had gone to the head of the hospital for permission before doing them.

The statement that people will be treated without regard to their religion or ethnicity is a complete red herring. Savita Halappanavar got equal treatment ("you're in Ireland").

The question is, will the hospital perform its functions without regard to the ethos of the owners and dominant party on the Board ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

All the mainstream press were reporting yesterday that the terms of the agreement had been published. All I can find is the 25 page summary given to Simon Harris, linked above. Sorry for misleading, it is anything but the full agreement, which is more than 200 pages long.

Has anyone had sight of it ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The Rentier State.. That's what, the state exists as a funnel from the subjects pockets to their Rentier Masters.

Changing that would be suicidal for those owning the apple tart.