Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 8th June 2017

Default Re: UK General Election 8th June 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    If they did that'd be the last they'd see of my vote. It's hard enough for politicians not to become captured by the insider culture without them abandoning their own basic principles.
    +100.

I so wish Labour had a chance of a decent showing. Their best hope would lie in appealing to the 16 million ppl who voted Remain and maybe a million or so with buyer's remorse. Alas , Corbyn is anti EU so thats his main weapon decommissioned. A decent man if a bit geeky , he was my MP in the 90s. Before that I had Dianne Abbott.I'm so old I canvassed for Foot in 83. This is all getting drearily familiar....

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Wow, May they get everything they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Wow, May they get everything they deserve.
    And remember that this is a First Past The Post system rather than Proportional Representation. This could, unless the LibDems manage to attract a significant anti-Brexit vote from Labour and the Tories, result in a potential loss of most if not all seats. Interestingly, Scotland and NI are not included above so it appears to be only England and Wales. This makes May's decision somewhat more understandable in that Labour's support is not bigger than the combined LibDems, UKIP and Others.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    I so wish Labour had a chance of a decent showing. Their best hope would lie in appealing to the 16 million ppl who voted Remain and maybe a million or so with buyer's remorse. Alas , Corbyn is anti EU so thats his main weapon decommissioned. A decent man if a bit geeky , he was my MP in the 90s. Before that I had Dianne Abbott.I'm so old I canvassed for Foot in 83. This is all getting drearily familiar....
    Look on the bright side, there wasn't another Falklands this time around. The EUnuchs in Brussels have handled this thing exactly the wrong way. But then with maggots like Drunken Juncker, it was to be expected. The best way to make enemies is to portray them as enemies. These fools have given Brexit a momentum that it would not otherwise had.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Look on the bright side, there wasn't another Falklands this time around. The EUnuchs in Brussels have handled this thing exactly the wrong way. But then with maggots like Drunken Juncker, it was to be expected. The best way to make enemies is to portray them as enemies. These fools have given Brexit a momentum that it would not otherwise had.

Regards...jmcc
    sounds like the Queenie lover thinks people in Europe should have facilitated a (soft) Brexit?

she wants hard Brexit ... well give them hard Brexit? why are you making this about the EUnuchs in Brussels?

it's as if you think Oh we don't give a sh*t about them in EU but they'd better give a sh*t about us? that is how you ended up with 52% of the Pro-Brexit vote. It's cos you think 'you are better than them'

There was initial shock in the continent, but I dont think Europeans will be cryin' the UK leaving.. people are actually quite respectful of the UK decision to leave, but don't expect to see them tear eyed..

it doesn't look like people care much.. what I am reading is 'if you/UK want to leave, don't let the door hit you in the ass too hard'

if the threat is the UK becoming Singapore I would think the whole gig can be undermined .. and don't forget that Trump is mainstreaming into the Republican fold.. so... Theresa May have gotten a good shag the first time around but when she comes for second helpings it May feel a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    she wants hard Brexit ... well give them hard Brexit? why are you making this about the EUnuchs in Brussels?
    This is an election that is being fought on Brexit lines and the actions of the EUnuchs like Drunken Juncker and his merry band of unelected maggots have provided the pro-Brexit side with a very useful enemy. They have given Brexit a dynamic that it would not otherwise have had and it provides the Tory party with the incentive to attract a lot of the vote that went to UKIP over the years. There has always been a "Little Englander" element in the Tory party vote. The Labour Party has its own problems and it cannot campaign on an anti-Brexit platform because it has its own internal splits. The LibDems will probably try to position themselves as a kind of sensible anti-Brexit vote.

You are probably not familiar with Irish and UK history but the situation that the UK is facing in this GE is not unlike the Home Rule situation it faced with Ireland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Except this time it is Scotland that may wish to leave (Sturgeon has already notified May of her intent to proceed with plans for a second Scottish Independence referendum anyway.) This is a post-UK election in that the battleground for the Tories and Labour is England and Wales.

Regards...jmcc

This is an election that is being fought on Brexit lines and the actions of the EUnuchs like Drunken Juncker and his merry band of unelected maggots have provided the pro-Brexit side with a very useful enemy. They have given Brexit a dynamic that it would not otherwise have had and it provides the Tory party with the incentive to attract a lot of the vote that went to UKIP over the years. There has always been a "Little Englander" element in the Tory party vote. The Labour Party has its own problems and it cannot campaign on an anti-Brexit platform because it has its own internal splits. The LibDems will probably try to position themselves as a kind of sensible anti-Brexit vote.
    why is that a problem of the Junker? seems to me the problem is the Lille Englander and their awesome ideas of grandeur .. the folks in the continent are and WILL be minding their own business and interests .. most people do not feel they have to make special adjustments to accommodate the self-centered Brits, if they want to leave, lead by their Ms. Arrogance-in-Chief PM, they can hit the road. If Corbyn is For Brexit at heart, then grow a pair and be for Brexit and get the [email protected] out!

As you can see, the problem is not the Junker or the folks in the mainland, right? the problem is Lille Drunkard England.

and as you very well know, Little England seeps through here too, every now and then I get a good waff of their thinking in your comments, apjp, dcon etc...

You are probably not familiar with Irish and UK history but the situation that the UK is facing in this GE is not unlike the Home Rule situation it faced with Ireland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Except this time it is Scotland that may wish to leave (Sturgeon has already notified May of her intent to proceed with plans for a second Scottish Independence referendum anyway.) This is a post-UK election in that the battleground for the Tories and Labour is England and Wales.

Regards...jmcc
    True, i am not very familiar with the Home Rule situation v Ire v early 20th century and in all honesty that is a problem for you guys to have (I do follow their politics and know Scotland is heading for the door which makes me quite giddy)... now for you to get on the board and whine that 'g-d damn those drunkards in Brussels aren't making our lives easier' -- i can tell you my opinion is this: they can go ***** off back to the cold shores where they came from ..Europe will be happy to house the EU Institutions now in London and get the jobs.. .I even nudged a couple of friends in Lisbon to put a Bid to get some of them to move to Portugal, why not? (- their loss will be our gain -).

No-one pushed them out. They did it to themselves. If they are breaking the dishes in their own kitchen people should be thinking that it may be a good idea to connect the upstairs with the garage right next door and build a whole new shinny kitchen for themselves, and leave the downstairs to the quarreling parties.

it is also not other Europeans problem if the Tories will be governing Lille England for a couple decades .. but maybe the Lib Dems pick up enough Remain steam ? I think they signed up some 5000 ppl yesterday just after TMay announcement of the new snap election ... (that liar TMay is the Britard version of Trump and people have gotten 5 psychotic months following Trump's lies.. maybe it will serve a greater purpose? maybe it will backfire in her face? no clue... certainly it is fun to watch .. )

why is that a problem of the Junker?
    Because that little maggot and his unelected friends essentially polarised things in the EU so much so that they made Brexit inevitable. He's an uncouth individual who has a drinking problem. He is a political liability and is only in his position because the Germans and French put him there. There is a massive democratic deficit with the EU and it has gone far beyond the trading bloc that it once was.

As you can see, the problem is not the Junker or the folks in the mainland, right? the problem is Lille Drunkard England.
    And again, you don't understand EU politics. The UK is a major economy in the EU and losing it causes a lot of problems. It is a major importer of EU goods and it has a large number of EU immigrants. The official EU line is that the UK is cutting its own throat but the reality is that the UK's negotiating position is far stronger than it appears because it could easily cause an economic crisis that would split the EU right down an East-West axis.

and as you very well know, Little England seeps through here too, every now and then I get a good waff of their thinking in your comments, apjp, dcon etc...
    We understand the UK situation better than you. Most Irish people have relatives in the UK and others have spent time there. This does not mean that we are British.

True, i am not very familiar with the Home Rule situation v Ire v early 20th century and in all honesty that is a problem for you guys to have (I do follow their politics and know Scotland is heading for the door which makes me quite giddy)...
    Do some reading on it as there are some very strong parallels with the Scottish vote in the House of Commons being equivalent to the Irish vote in the early 20th century. If a situation arises where the difference between the Tory seats and the Labour seats (and the LibDems, Greens,Plaid Cyumru etc) is less than the Scottish seats, then the Scots basically hold the balance of power. This is the nightmare scenario for the Tories.

No-one pushed them out.
    Actually there has been an attempt to impose a German/French control over the EU for the last decade or so. The Lebensraum move by Germany to expand into Eastern Europe and bring in former Warsaw Pact countries into the EU was a dangerous one and many of these countries did not meet the entry criteria. The UK ended up with a lot of immigration from these Accession states whereas Germany availed of a temporary ban on such immigration.

it is also not other Europeans problem if the Tories will be governing Lille England for a couple decades .. but maybe the Lib Dems pick up enough Remain steam ?
    The problem with the LibDems is that Labour still hasn't torn itself apart yet.

I think they signed up some 5000 ppl yesterday just after TMay announcement of the new snap election ... (that liar TMay is the Britard version of Trump and people have gotten 5 psychotic months following Trump's lies.. maybe it will serve a greater purpose? maybe it will backfire in her face? no clue... certainly it is fun to watch .. )
    The vote group to watch will be the UKIP ones. These may shift to the Tories but there is going to be voting across traditional party lines.

Regards...jmcc
    Last edited by jmcc; 20-04-2017 at 04:15 AM.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    The public think what the media tell them to think in England.
    Only in England? Modern politics is managed by spin. The media agenda is about 24 hours in duration the handlers manage on that basis. In the UK, Corbyn's inactivity on the Brexit agenda and over concentration on trying to reposition the left has led to very low poll ratings. Ergo, the handlers start a flash, opportunist election "result" based on those figures.

Within 24 hours there is a reconsideration of the situation, the LibDem options are factored in, Scotland is factored in, etc. The result? Media management on whether the Cons will get 100+ majority.

Watch this space....

why is that a problem of the Junker? seems to me the problem is the Lille Englander and their awesome ideas of grandeur .. the folks in the continent are and WILL be minding their own business and interests .. most people do not feel they have to make special adjustments to accommodate the self-centered Brits, if they want to leave, lead by their Ms. Arrogance-in-Chief PM, they can hit the road. If Corbyn is For Brexit at heart, then grow a pair and be for Brexit and get the [email protected] out!

True, i am not very familiar with the Home Rule situation v Ire v early 20th century and in all honesty that is a problem for you guys to have (I do follow their politics and know Scotland is heading for the door which makes me quite giddy)... now for you to get on the board and whine that 'g-d damn those drunkards in Brussels aren't making our lives easier' -- i can tell you my opinion is this: they can go ***** off back to the cold shores where they came from ..Europe will be happy to house the EU Institutions now in London and get the jobs.. .I even nudged a couple of friends in Lisbon to put a Bid to get some of them to move to Portugal, why not? (- their loss will be our gain -).

No-one pushed them out. They did it to themselves. If they are breaking the dishes in their own kitchen people should be thinking that it may be a good idea to connect the upstairs with the garage right next door and build a whole new shinny kitchen for themselves, and leave the downstairs to the quarreling parties.

it is also not other Europeans problem if the Tories will be governing Lille England for a couple decades .. but maybe the Lib Dems pick up enough Remain steam ? I think they signed up some 5000 ppl yesterday just after TMay announcement of the new snap election ... (that liar TMay is the Britard version of Trump and people have gotten 5 psychotic months following Trump's lies.. maybe it will serve a greater purpose? maybe it will backfire in her face? no clue... certainly it is fun to watch .. )
    Once again you are more or less calling us the same as the English.

Your ignorance knows no bounds. Why don't you stick to American and Portuguese politics cos you know nothing about Irish and British politics.

It is not in Ireland's interests to have a vendetta against the Brits, no matter how stupid English voters may seem at times, and if anything Brussels is just as immature and cavalier as the Tory party.

Your self-righteousness is short sighted and Brussels will only shoot themselves in the foot if they take on the Brits in a trade war.

We had a trade war with the Brits after the civil war. It lasted from 1932-1948 more or less, with the actual trade war being followed by years of sanctions and threats to invade and reconquer us as our neutrality was a direct affront to Churchill. He actually tried to starve us into submission, but of course there was never any chance of the post independence elite kowtowing to Whitehall. If you are going to take on the Brits economically, you better be prepared for years of hardship.

I think your bluster is hot air and if a post Brexit trade war damaged Portugal's tourist industry or wine cork industry, the likes of yourself would soon change your tune.

Put simply, Irish people know what the Brits are like, and they are almost as stubborn as ourselves and the Tories are the most bitter, backstabbing and conniving of the lot. Europe will suffer badly if they take on the Brits, and all that hot air coming out of europhiles like yourself is just guff. When push comes to shove, let's see how many EU countries actually follow up their talk with sanctions, cos the Brits certainly won't take it lying down.

You are basically dealing with imperialists and they want you to take the bait because it solidifies their own grip on power if you do.
    Last edited by Apjp; 21-04-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Because that little maggot and his unelected friends essentially polarised things in the EU so much so that they made Brexit inevitable. He's an uncouth individual who has a drinking problem. He is a political liability and is only in his position because the Germans and French put him there. There is a massive democratic deficit with the EU and it has gone far beyond the trading bloc that it once was.

And again, you don't understand EU politics. The UK is a major economy in the EU and losing it causes a lot of problems. It is a major importer of EU goods and it has a large number of EU immigrants. The official EU line is that the UK is cutting its own throat but the reality is that the UK's negotiating position is far stronger than it appears because it could easily cause an economic crisis that would split the EU right down an East-West axis.

We understand the UK situation better than you. Most Irish people have relatives in the UK and others have spent time there. This does not mean that we are British.

Do some reading on it as there are some very strong parallels with the Scottish vote in the House of Commons being equivalent to the Irish vote in the early 20th century. If a situation arises where the difference between the Tory seats and the Labour seats (and the LibDems, Greens,Plaid Cyumru etc) is less than the Scottish seats, then the Scots basically hold the balance of power. This is the nightmare scenario for the Tories.

Actually there has been an attempt to impose a German/French control over the EU for the last decade or so. The Lebensraum move by Germany to expand into Eastern Europe and bring in former Warsaw Pact countries into the EU was a dangerous one and many of these countries did not meet the entry criteria. The UK ended up with a lot of immigration from these Accession states whereas Germany availed of a temporary ban on such immigration.

The problem with the LibDems is that Labour still hasn't torn itself apart yet.

The vote group to watch will be the UKIP ones. These may shift to the Tories but there is going to be voting across traditional party lines.

Regards...jmcc
    The Home Rule comparison is spot on.

The Scots are bing infantalised in a very similar way to the Irish from the 1880'S-1916.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Only in England? Modern politics is managed by spin. The media agenda is about 24 hours in duration the handlers manage on that basis. In the UK, Corbyn's inactivity on the Brexit agenda and over concentration on trying to reposition the left has led to very low poll ratings. Ergo, the handlers start a flash, opportunist election "result" based on those figures.

Within 24 hours there is a reconsideration of the situation, the LibDem options are factored in, Scotland is factored in, etc. The result? Media management on whether the Cons will get 100+ majority.

Watch this space....
    Well the English seem abnormally gullible in that regard.

How many people at home do you know that bother their hole buying a newspaper?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast