Thread: Fenian proclaimation of 1867

Default Fenian proclaimation of 1867

Well, it being Easter and all I thought I would put up the Fenian proclamation of the Republic which accompanied their rising of 1867. It predates the 1916 proclamation by half a century but is, astonishingly, much more progressive in my view.

Connolly is, rightly or wrongly, generally credited with the progressive aspects of the 1916 proclamation. But whose hand I wonder was at work in 1867 separating church and state, guaranteeing everyone the "intrinsic value of their labour", promising to take the land from the oligarchy and directly appealing to the English working class for unity against the "oppressors of labour ... "

Extraordinary document.

The Irish People of the World

We have suffered centuries of outrage, enforced poverty, and bitter misery. Our rights and liberties have been trampled on by an alien aristocracy, who treating us as foes, usurped our lands, and drew away from our unfortunate country all material riches. The real owners of the soil were removed to make room for cattle, and driven across the ocean to seek the means of living, and the political rights denied to them at home, while our men of thought and action were condemned to loss of life and liberty. But we never lost the memory and hope of a national existence. We appealed in vain to the reason and sense of justice of the dominant powers.

Our mildest remonstrance's were met with sneers and contempt. Our appeals to arms were always unsuccessful.

Today, having no honourable alternative left, we again appeal to force as our last resource. We accept the conditions of appeal, manfully deeming it better to die in the struggle for freedom than to continue an existence of utter serfdom.

All men are born with equal rights, and in associating to protect one another and share public burdens, justice demands that such associations should rest upon a basis which maintains equality instead of destroying it.

We therefore declare that, unable longer to endure the curse of Monarchical Government, we aim at founding a Republic based on universal suffrage, which shall secure to all the intrinsic value of their labour.

The soil of Ireland, at present in the possession of an oligarchy, belongs to us, the Irish people, and to us it must be restored.

We declare, also, in favour of absolute liberty of conscience, and complete separation of Church and State.

We appeal to the Highest Tribunal for evidence of the justness of our cause. History bears testimony to the integrity of our sufferings, and we declare, in the face of our brethren, that we intend no war against the people of England – our war is against the aristocratic locusts, whether English or Irish, who have eaten the verdure of our fields – against the aristocratic leeches who drain alike our fields and theirs.

Republicans of the entire world, our cause is your cause. Our enemy is your enemy. Let your hearts be with us. As for you, workmen of England, it is not only your hearts we wish, but your arms. Remember the starvation and degradation brought to your firesides by the oppression of labour. Remember the past, look well to the future, and avenge yourselves by giving liberty to your children in the coming struggle for human liberty.

Herewith we proclaim the Irish Republic.

The Provisional Government.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Re: Fenian proclaimation of 1867

Very good. I like the History line especially.

My late mother was proud of the fact that one of her ancestors had to be smuggled out of the country because of Fenian activities in Ireland in 1867. Her own father was heavily involved in Sinn Féin and was a volunteer in the War of Independence.

I recall people who had been active in the War of Independence visiting the house when I was much younger. Too young to get some of their history. Also found that some were reluctant to discuss those events

The flag captured at Tallagh - a star for each county -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_Rising

Marx and Engles campaigned for the release of Fenian prisoners. They wrote extensively on Fenianism, which they said was a "movement of the lower orders" (workers and peasants, notwithstanding its petty bourgeois leadership
    Last edited by C. Flower; 30-04-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Good thread. Found this earlier proclamation of interest...

Quote Humbert... In a grandiloquent manner suited to the necessities of the case, Humbert addressed his hearers, through the medium of an interpreter, somewhat as follows: "Citizens and brethren: understand that we are soldiers, not highway robbers. We have landed here to fight the armies of the King of England and save your unfortunate country—not to wage war on private citizens. We in France acknowledge no religion that preaches intolerance toward another. We believe as little in your Pope as in your Established Church—Catholics and Protestants are the same to us. We believe only in justice and charity to all mankind." unquote.
    http://www.libraryireland.com/french...ish-people.php
    Happiness is an inside job.