Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Deported Veterans of America

Default Re: The Deported Veterans of America

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    It's a song by Kate Bush.Check her stuff out.Writes her own stuff.Talented but ...a Tory.
    Well we don't actually know that she is a Tory, it's true that she made some mildly approving comments re Teresa May recently, that's about it. It is hard to interpret 'Army Dreamers' as anything other than a critique of UK militarism. Of course, people can change their political views over time. Most people do, let's face it.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    The military culture of much of the world is disgusting and pretty sickening too.

I remember being in a cinema with 2 friends in the Chelsea part of London in 2015. There were at least 2 RAF/British Navy/Army ads before the film started. After the second one, which again repeated the slogan of something like 'a life beyond borders/the ordinary', I just interrupted silence by saying something in an audible and hateful Irish accent like 'Jaysus look at this propaganda, a life beyond murders'. I swear half the crowd(largely middle aged and older people) stared me out of it as though I was in the IRA just for criticising such largescale brainwashing(the move was PG15, so it felt to me as though the ads were targeting people my friend's age-young twenties, even younger).

Sure enough the younger of my two friends told me it is everywhere in Britain, always on the box etc. and a few days later before leaving what do you know, another of my friend's friends said he was joining the Army, not for any reason, just cos 'he felt like doing so'.

Military advertising should not be allowed in my view. It targets young men before they are educated enough to decide for themselves if there is any purpose to joining said Army.

Austria btw arrested deported dozens of American soldiers from an airport last year for carrying Arms without consulting the Austrian govt. In Switzerland everyone manages to keep a nice clean rifle at home from their obligatory military service days yet gun violence is much much lower than in America.

America and Britain are the most brainwashed societies on the planet. Let's face it.

How on Earth can a society mindlessly worship an Army? It is beyond me to understand how people can be so stupid. Anytime you talk to the average American or Brit about their Army they usually get all offended and prooffer how moral and great the majority of their soldiers are.

The only thing that disgusts me about Prague's nightlife is the all-too visible presence of American soldiers out of uniform and looking for everyone to validate their right to be there. I only wish the legendary Czech and Polish capacity for self-regard and self-respect took on the military neutral aspects of their Austrian neighbours.
    This militarisation of UK culture and visible hyping and recruitment (army bands at sports matches, "Heroes" rubbish etc.) is all pretty well new post the illegal attack on Iraq.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The latest Irish Defence forces advert.

I'm not kidding.

http://www.independent.ie/videos/iri...in%20On%20Site

"This is not a game, this is for real. ANewDawn.ie Apply now for a career in the Defence Forces"

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The latest Irish Defence forces advert.

I'm not kidding.

http://www.independent.ie/videos/iri...in%20On%20Site

"This is not a game, this is for real. ANewDawn.ie Apply now for a career in the Defence Forces"

do you happen to know if there is a path to citizenship in Ireland via service in your IDF?

Thank you random new yorker! I can finally post

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    Thank you Sam. Comprehensive as always.

Q1. WoW ! so if i understand this correctly someone from Portugal can join your Army? and even better any other National from another state lawfully residing in Ireland also can do it ...

Q2. Sure i believe that the Irish Defence Forces (sounds exactly like some other IDF i know) have no problem filling their ranks but that is not the question.

My question was if you are a Foreign National residing lawfully in Ireland and you join the Army is there a path to citizenship?

@ntp: another gem for you !! (maybe the US law was based on what they have on those Islands?)

I had no idea about that. Actually, I have no idea about how that works in Portugal...

Do they serve time before being deported, or is deportation used as a means of punishment?

Irish judges on occasion boot people out instead of penalising them in Ireland.

I think this is a pretty poor show - if someone commits a crime here, they should be dealt with here.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

They serve time and are deported after

Quote Originally Posted by ntp View Post
    They serve time and are deported after
    So what do you think should happen ? That everyone who fights for the US should be made a citizen ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    So what do you think should happen ? That everyone who fights for the US should be made a citizen ?
    It's their legal right and morally the right thing to do, don't you think? If someone is willing to die for a country shouldn't that country give them citizenship?
    At this moment, if they die abroad, the US will give them citizenship and bury them in a military graveyard with all the honors.

I had no idea about that. Actually, I have no idea about how that works in Portugal...
    you need a BI to register (proof of citizenship) now that it is voluntary .. back in the olden days men would be 'registered from birth'

but you are too young to remember those days

also in the PT Army women fight in 'combat' positions ..aka.. the frontline

anyway sounds like a good piece to develop .. the consequences of deploying an Army of citizens v an Army of Mercenaries ..

Thank you random new yorker! I can finally post
    welcome ..

by the way they have a welcome to new members thread that you could use to introduce yourself cos it's part of their culture

(ahem... I totally failed that test)
    Last edited by random new yorker; 13-03-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Typos

you need a BI to register (proof of citizenship) now that it is voluntary .. back in the olden days men would be 'registered from birth'

anyway sounds like a good piece to develop .. the consequences of deploying an Army of citizens v an Army of Mercenaries ..

I wouldn't say that they are mercenaries. That's a different reality. They fight for a country even though they are not officially citizens. But if they die in combat the US will grant them citizenship.

I wouldn't say that they are mercenaries. That's a different reality. They fight for a country even though they are not officially citizens. But if they die in combat the US will grant them citizenship.

Infantry soldiers historically have always been treated like cattle. They are disposable. Armed forces rely on codding poor and uneducated young men and women to enlist, and then brainwashing them and turning them into psychotic killers. Lesson one is don't sign up to go killing people all over the world. The people who sign you up have contempt for you.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast