Thread: Ambrose Congreve & the Mount Congreve estate

Default Ambrose Congreve & the Mount Congreve estate

I only very recently heard of the late Ambrose Congreve, which shows either a shocking lack of awareness on my part, or a shocking inattention by our media (or perhaps a combination of both).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Congreve

It seems that he was a genuine renaissance man, who had a successful career in industry, but devoted most of his life to his true love of gardening. He won many prizes at the Chelsea festival.

He was the owner of one of (I think) only three Rolls Royce Phantom V's in Ireland.

After Congreve's death, relatively recently (in 2011) aged 104 years, the Mount Congreve estate was left to the Irish State. I have not seen any updates as to what their plans are?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Default Re: Ambrose Congreve & the Mount Congreve estate

If he had looked at what the State has done with Russborough House, he might have thought twice about it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    If he had looked at what the State has done with Russborough House, he might have thought twice about it.
    I haven't followed that, do you have a link?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I haven't followed that, do you have a link?
    General neglect, failure to provide a bus link from Dublin, repeated robberies due to no security, and then selling parts of the collection off --

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...fund-1.2678364
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Ok, thanks.