Thread: Bullock Harbor development, can they leave nothing alone.

Default Bullock Harbor development, can they leave nothing alone.

Bullock harbor is one of the gems of the Dublin coastline. A small hidden harbor steeped in history it has been a place of introspection, delight, romance and inspiration for locals and visitors from home and abroad for centuries.
    Until now all development in the surrounding area has been low key small scale and sensitive.

Enter Richard Barrett, the arrogant one of Treasure Holdings infamy.

Sensing the emergence of Celtic Bubble Cat mark 2, and with all the sensitivity of a charging Rhinoceros he is attempting, through his company Bartra Capital to destroy the harbor and its environs.

Here is a link to an Irish Times article on the matter: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/envir...ment-1.2936357

And from another article from David Monagan who managed to get this on the Forbes site.
    Super intelligent Barrett, side kick Johnny Ronan and their adventures:

The developers who reigned over Ireland’s hyper-inflated property boom have been fleeing their supercalifragilisticexpialidocious debts and even their homeland for some time. Now the most daring duo of the Celtic Tiger, the Irish Jesse James and Billy the Kid, are tossing a centerpiece of their global empire of Treasury Holdings – self-valued at 4.6 billion euros--into liquidation the way the next guy might close down a pub.
    Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmon.../#701dc9c7115f

Like in the case of the monstrous incinerator in the center of Dublin.....the people can object all they like. They can protest 'till they are blue in the face. Their local elected representatives can vote against it 'till the cows come home, but the charging Rhinoceros of greed will not be stopped.

Bullock is steeped in history. The Brandy Hole, used by smugglers in years gone by. The spikes driven into the granite, an echo through time of the hard hard work which gave hard Dalkey stone to build Cobh Cathedral, part off the Thames Embankment, the North and South Liffey Walls and much else. It holds a place in my heart as forebears of mine lived in one of the now demolished cottages on the Quay.
    Some years ago I did a video pointing out just two of the interesting remains of the ancient Bullock harbor........brace yourselves....here it is:

And as if that was not enough..... the Bullock Octopus:

Joking aside, over the years I have shown very many visitors to Dublin the Dublin gem which is Bullock harbor. They have without exception been enchanted by it. It is an historic, still working harbor. We should tell its storied history, we should show it as it is, show it in all its moods, not sanitized, not gentrified, not the play thing of the rich.
    There is a pier in DunLaoghaire harbor where we fished as kids. If there are any fish still there (unlikely) no one can fish for them. It is now private, part of a boat yard. So will go Bullock Harbor. The history will be forgotten, the locals displaced, the visitors ignored by a snooty elite from behind high security gates and those Irish who imposed this will be far away, unconcerned, thinking themselves o so clever as they entertain their guests on their yacht in the sun.

A local:

"I am disgusted to my core that anyone can dare to demolish this beautiful and precious landmark.

"How dare you destroy history for a quick buck. How dare you rampage over our lives with your greed.

"I plan to camp out to stop this monstrosity and any more destruction of our beautiful places. We have a few left, a few.[
    From this article:
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/proper...velop-12379750

More on the history of Bullock: http://www.dalkeyhomepage.ie/bullockages.html

“Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.”
    ― Joni Mitchell
    Last edited by eamo; 19-01-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: Bullock Harbor development, can they leave nothing alone.

Can't see what is proposed Eamon, but greatly enjoyed the videos.

Any idea when the first / old harbour was built ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Thanks for the lovely post and video.I learnt how to swim at Dun Laoire baths , RIP. Later at Bug Rock , Seapoint , Salthill , Sandycove. I feel a quite visceral anger ,bordering on violence , towards scumbags like Barret and Ronan...

Refused planning permission
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Hooray! That's the first bit of good news in weeks.

Great news indeed .

Here is the Irish Times article about the refusal.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/envir...sion-1.2965361

Here is a bit about the harbours history:

The harbour in Bullock has a tumultuous history. Indeed it has also been a long history, the harbour can be traced back as far as 1346 when the castle was built there. The monks of St.Mary's Abbey extracted a toll (a quantity of their fish catch) from all persons using the harbour. The area was self-contained with a fortified wall to keep out intruders.

In 1641 Royalist Troops launched an attack in the harbour during which 56 people were drowned. During the nineteenth century the harbour was used to transport coal to and from the nearby coal yard (Downeys). Captain William Hutchinson was appointed Harbour Master of Dunleary and Bullock at the age of 25. He was based in Bullock, paid £100 a year and provided with a house there. His job entailed keeping the sailors (pilots) on the 'straight and narrow' and supervising the ballasting of vessels.

The harbour is very picturesque and peaceful these days, a far cry from its incident-ridden past.
    From here: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/readin...llock-harbour/

In the 1800's rock was quarried from the foreshore when the tide was out. Some of the works can still be seen but few people now know what they are or their history. There was also a quarry to the North side of St Patrick's church, close to the harbour. Stone was taken to Bullock harbour and loaded by crane onto barges to be taken into Dublin and onward. If you look carefully you can find the cut off stumps of the crane legs still on the pier.
    It was the Cistercian Monks who back in the 12 century developed the original harbour. Incidentally, it was also because of the Cistercians that Monkstown, the other side of Dunlaoghaire, got its name.

As someone pointed out on the Save Bullock Harbour facebook group the people behind this proposal will not give up easily. They will be back.

Here are Richard Barrett who is behind this attack on Bullock and his sidekick little Johnny Ronan. Click on the pic to enlarge. Is it just my imagination or do they look like two right evil fkers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CzZgCJ5WgAQyNoh.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1230
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreasuryHoldings.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	1229  

Anyone who watched the video "Bulloch harbour old and new" linked above will have seen the old Mooring ring which predates the present Harbour by many hundreds of years. By finding that old ring you could see the old quay, where boats berthed for hundreds of years before the present Bullock harbour was built.

Believe it or not, it has been removed. Without consulting or informing anyone it has been cut away. So secret was its removal that even the men who work from the harbour knew nothing till it was gone. I do not yet know if it was removed officially or unofficially. As Bulloch Harbour comes under the remit of the Dublin Port company, Dunlaoghaire Rathdown County Council (who were not at fault and were very helpful) knew nothing of its removal. Their best guess was that it was removed because it was a trip risk.

The historic artifact and the ancient quay which it drew attention to would have been a problem for any future development such as that recently proposed by Bartra Capital, which makes me wonder was the ancient mooring ring removed with or without permission.
    I want to make clear, I am not suggesting Bartra or anyone else removed it. I am making no allegations. I do not know who removed the mooring ring. But I do know serious gas cutting equipment was used. This was not done casually and I am sure there are many others like me who would like to know why and by whom it was removed.

I will be contacting the Dublin Port company to ask if they removed the ring but in the mean time thought you all might like to know about this. Will keep you informed.

Infuriating.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Its official. I got word today that the mooring ring was removed without authorisation.

The Dublin Port engineer who is also the engineer for Bulloch Harbour writes that by September 2015 when a disused crane was being removed the old mooring ring had already been unofficially removed. This unofficial removal had been done in a manner which left a piece of metal protruding. For safety reasons that dangerous protrusion was removed by Dublin Port contractors. The ancient mooring ring had already been removed in an act of vandalism by people unknown who were I suspect, in the pay of people unknown.

The video was taken in 2012. The ring was gone by 2015.

What is done can never be undone. Whoever is behind this must have no respect for our collective past.

Money doesn't talk, it swears. Bob Dylan.
    Last edited by eamo; 19-04-2017 at 08:36 PM.