Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 117 of 117

Thread: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    More on the Joe Brolly comments Trow mentioned:

    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-36497080.html

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,917

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    I like Brolly. I think he goes over the top sometimes with his GAA analysis but his principles stay the same and his heart is in the right place. I wouldn't mind seeing this interview.

    The nationalist community can't be criticised for their patience and attempts to make things work. Considering they've had to put up with a slack jawed political movement that some of the most loony regressives in Dixie would be envious of.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Hints and suggestion of a spot of gerrymandering for the near future....

    Quote.. The firestorm
    Sinn Féin says any move by the Conservatives to row back on proposed boundary changes would amount to gerrymandering to placate the DUP. In a statement seen by The Canary, Sinn Féin MP Francie Molloy warned that, if the map was accurate:

    it would mean that the Tories have again acquiesced to the DUP’s anti-democratic agenda… That is entirely unacceptable and further evidence of the British Government’s ongoing refusal to act in an impartial manner as they are obliged to under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. unquote.. https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2018/01/...up-deal-image/
    Last edited by Trow; 23-01-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Where are we now in terms of devolved Government? I think Martin Mc Guinness's parting words ''There'll be no return to the status quo'' and ''Make no mistake about it, a hard border of the future is coming.'' echo still.
    Happiness is an inside job.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Stir it up. Voluntary body urges restoration of Stormont. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northe...itics-45321568

    Meanwhile Arlene Foster has demanded Sinn Fein end their boycott of Stormont and rally's are to be held later today calling for the same. It's 589 days since Stormont collapsed.
    Happiness is an inside job.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Stir it up. Voluntary body urges restoration of Stormont. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northe...itics-45321568

    Meanwhile Arlene Foster has demanded Sinn Fein end their boycott of Stormont and rally's are to be held later today calling for the same. It's 589 days since Stormont collapsed.
    I don't think there's any appetite within SF under the current circumstances - lack of reform of the POC, lack of an Acht na Gaeilge, DUP strongarming the tories etc., etc. The DUP seems split on the issue, with the failure to secure the last deal laid squarely at the feet of the backwoodsmen and the Orange who wouldn't buy it.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    I don't think there's any appetite within SF under the current circumstances - lack of reform of the POC, lack of an Acht na Gaeilge, DUP strongarming the tories etc., etc. The DUP seems split on the issue, with the failure to secure the last deal laid squarely at the feet of the backwoodsmen and the Orange who wouldn't buy it.
    ''No return to the status quo'' Was the Sinn Fein battle cry. Be interesting to see how they respond to todays criticism. A DUP blame game ongoing. Thy are in denial that it was in fact their ''denials'' of equality rights and financial irregularities that shut power sharing down in the first place. Devolved Government like that is not sustainable.
    Happiness is an inside job.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    ''No return to the status quo'' Was the Sinn Fein battle cry. Be interesting to see how they respond to todays criticism. A DUP blame game ongoing. Thy are in denial that it was in fact their ''denials'' of equality rights and financial irregularities that shut power sharing down in the first place. Devolved Government like that is not sustainable.
    Well the litmus test is wider nationalist opinion. And that litmus paper is very definitively saying "no".

    Sent from my HTC U Play using Tapatalk

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    Well the litmus test is wider nationalist opinion. And that litmus paper is very definitively saying "no".
    Bearing in mind Sinn Fein swallowed up the ''wider Nationalist opinion'' increasing their representation by 75% in last elections i'd say you're right.
    Something's brewing though i sense. Might just be the usual DUP witchcraft cauldron politics given the recent full Moon.
    Happiness is an inside job.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Bearing in mind Sinn Fein swallowed up the ''wider Nationalist opinion'' increasing their representation by 75% in last elections i'd say you're right.
    Something's brewing though i sense. Might just be the usual DUP witchcraft politics given the recent full Moon.
    I think the DUP realise their goose is cooked as regards Brexit. They may now be struggling to get around some "cashflow difficulties" and would see Stormont as a way of doing this. That said, northern nationalism is in no way ready to play ball with these guys.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    I think the DUP realise their goose is cooked as regards Brexit. They may now be struggling to get around some "cashflow difficulties" and would see Stormont as a way of doing this. That said, northern nationalism is in no way ready to play ball with these guys.
    There's a certain Brexit/Stormont twist to all of this. Potential crashes and potholes on the road to Dublin. Chances are you could be stopped and searched along the way. [Hard boarder and policing] Many have opted for an Irish passport, including a percentage from the Unionist communities. [a reflection of the rise in applications post Brexit vote]

    Not entirely entrenched, money still the big motivator though i sense.

    Picture this..... A boarder poll. Result...Unity.

    Picture this.... A United Ireland sucked/nursed into a UK.

    I'd welcome the economic analysis in this scenario. Best forum for it.
    Last edited by Trow; 28-08-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    4,009

    Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

    Timely eleventh hour report....
    Quote.. The government has been accused of having a "sticking plaster approach" to restoring devolution by the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee chairman.

    Conservative MP Dr Andrew Murrison was speaking after the cross-party group published a report into devolution and democracy in Northern Ireland. unquote.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45521515
    Happiness is an inside job.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us