Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Who would these "smaller progressive loyalist parties" be out of interest?
    The PUP, [Popular Unionist Party]
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    It's former leader David Ervine is 10 years dead...[10th anniversary]

Quote. David Ervine was synonymous with working class unionism - he served as a councillor for east Belfast and also as an MLA at Stormont until he died in January 2007, aged 57.

The one-time member of the UVF was instrumental in bringing about the loyalist ceasefire of October 1994 and was once described as "one of the most eloquent politicians in Northern Ireland". unquote. http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2017-01-...th-remembered/

Arlene Foster is to meet with her senior party members on Monday [tomorrow]http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2017-01-08/arlene-foster-to-face-dup-colleagues-in-crisis-meeting/

while Sinn Fein begin the week with another salvo at Unionism with an attempt to out the Stormont speaker..

Quote.. In another development on Monday, Sinn Féin is expected to lodge a motion of no confidence in Assembly Speaker Robin Newton.

It follows his decision last month to allow Arlene Foster to make a statement about the renewables scandal as First Minister without the consent of deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness. [same link as above.]

Looking round at who's saying what i found this from Ulster Unionist Danny Kinahan

Quote..“In 1998, we ensured the First Minister and deputy First Minister were elected on a single, joint ticket, reflecting the joint nature of the roles,” he said. “The DUP had that changed by Westminster to save Ian Paisley’s blushes as otherwise he would have had to support Martin McGuinness as dFM. “That is the root cause of the problem, the inability of the two parties to work together. It over-rides the will of the people, ensures Assembly Elections are fought not on the issues, but on a raw sectarian headcount, and holds us back from our vision of a post-sectarian society. unquote. http://www.ballymenatimes.com/news/s...ahan-1-7762861

Meanwhile the SDLP have rounded on Sinn Fein and the DUP..

Quote.."Whether the DUP and Sinn Féin play out this sham fight or they go to an election, we need a plan for Brexit... and we need them to get on with it".

However on Twitter, Ms Hanna claimed the DUP and Sinn Féin "love to star in dramas of their own making".
    "For whatever reason, both parties have set their face against a public inquiry. They need to prove that the terms they are setting out are robust and help us get some answers," she added.

"People won't accept a deal between the DUP and Sinn Féin over this scandal. Openness and accountability are not something up for trading," she added.
    "We need to see a proper public inquiry, anything short will leave lingering suspicions". unquote.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38549643

Interesting week ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    It not a question of people self identifying in those blocks, they are just tags that are attached to the tribal blocks.

NI politics is still dominated by the tribal Unionist vs Nationalist blocks with the neutrals looking on bemused.

In the old days it was deemed to be the Catholics vs the Protestants but during The Troubles terms such as Loyalist and Republican became the names for the overtly military wings of each community, with there being a sort of pan Unionist and pan Nationalist fronts opposing each other across the spectrum of violence to pacifists in the opposing blocks.

It's a reductive term but when people were trying to assess the relative numerical strengths of the two communities it was a handy way of counting.

McCann, I never had you down for a hard leftie.
    These days, I am.
    Welcome out of the closet.

With respect Plurarist, [From a working class perspective]

With respect Plurarist, [From a working class perspective]

Thanks for this. I was not previously aware of Ian Malone.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...port-1.2714147

Apparently he was one of only three from the island of Ireland that died in the Iraq war, and the only one from the ROI.

One from NI who died didn't die in the field of battle but committed suicide, one was has to wonder was it pressure of job due to the situation he was put in? Who knows.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...land-1.2712517

I have read that there is a large suicide rate among Iraq veterans in the US armed forces.
    Last edited by pluralist; 09-01-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Martin McGuinnes has resigned. A local Sinn Féin guy tells me the rumour is he is very unwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Martin McGuinnes has resigned. A local Sinn Féin guy tells me the rumour is he is very unwell?
    True.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-no...eland-38561446

By the end of the day Arlene Foster [first minister] will be out of a job.

More here.. http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2...irst-minister/

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    He has resigned but the reason given was not his health.

Election coming.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0109/84...s-resignation/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

MMG doesn't look or sound well and would not confirm if he would stand in the election.

Seems to me that SF have finally had enough.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Good. Foster is a racist anti-Irish possibly corrupt and hateful piece of ****.

Hopefully some form of change is afoot.

RTE reports that McGuinness is suffering from a rare heart condition. He looked very frail and his voice was very weak.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    RTE reports that McGuinness is suffering from a rare heart condition. He looked very frail and his voice was very weak.
    There was nothing ''frail or weak'' in his words SGD [I think you might agree]

Someone needed to put Arlene Foster and Paul Givan in check and i reckon the pair of them are rattled big time. Always came across as too bitter for my liking and i think recent words floated about like ''arrogant'' and ''ignoramus'' describes them well.

At least Martin can walk away with his dignity intact.

What are the chances of a coalition without the arrogant racist DUP?

Maybe SF-Alliance-Greens-SDLP with a parliamentary agreement with the UUP?

The UUP seem open to working with the SDLP at any rate.

If they won some of the DUP's seats and there was a sort of liberal government with some Unionist backing, maybe the DUP could be forced into opposition and irrelevance?

The highlighting of how racist the DUP are should be a cornerstone of eveyr other party's campaign imo. Any govt. without them would be a better govt.

Of course PBP will still pretend everyone is a sell out and not recognise the realities of the constraints Stormont is operating in, but a combination of the above could also investigate RHI properly?

I know the UUP will attack SF as it's an election campaign now, but maybe something can be done after the votes are in?

Just a scan of the front pages of the papers today and some unsavoury reporting on McGuinness' health...almost a sense of glee that he's a sick man......in stark contrast to the beatification process that the media started with once they found out Brian Lenihan was sick.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast