Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

Default Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

I don't think there is a thread on the RHI scandal? Anyway this has been nicely simmering over the last month or so and looks to be coming to a head.

http://www.theunitedirishman.com/201...er-steps-down/
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Default Re: Sinn Féin to collapse Assembly unless Arlene Foster steps down

The RHI scandal is not the first first dodgy whiff from Foster: http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...e#.WHE72lxFrMs

SF are in an unenviable position on this, there's not much point in having another election and then ending up back where you started or worse, because if SF collapse the Assembly then how is it supposed to get started again? The DUP are hardly going to swallow their pride to sack Arlene and give into everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    SF are in an unenviable position on this, there's not much point in having another election and then ending up back where you started or worse, because if SF collapse the Assembly then how is it supposed to get started again? The DUP are hardly going to swallow their pride to sack Arlene and give into everyone else.
    This is probably Sinn Féin's best chance in a long while to increase their vote share and to potentially eat into unionist support with Brexit and now this, their support has long plateaued.

Foster's claim that the threats to collapse are motivated by sexism isn't as mad as it might appear.

Why didn't SF collapse the Assembly over the much more serious investigations re NAMA northern's links?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Glad someone started a thread on this, after so many apparent crisis as Stormont i kinda have become numb when issues seem to blow over like little sudden storm fronts seasonally.
    Arlene comes across nasty, when under pressure from Sinn Fein to step aside, pulled out the traditional hardcore Unionist crowd pleasing victim card and upcast IRA attempts to murder her RUC officer Father and planted a bomb on her school bus. [Whatever that has to do with current affairs]

It's not just Sinn Fein criticising Arlene Foster, it's cross party with even one of her own party members speaking out.

She's pressured and she's not handling it too well.

Another factor to consider is the much speculated failing or ill health of Martin Mc Guinness. We don't see or hear much of him in recent weeks.

I think, given the language of various parties and individuals each and everyone is posturing for an inevitable collapse.

I wonder does Trump do St. Patricks day and who all will be invited?
    Last edited by Trow; 07-01-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Foster's claim that the threats to collapse are motivated by sexism isn't as mad as it might appear.

Why didn't SF collapse the Assembly over the much more serious investigations re NAMA northern's links?
    Apples and oranges. The NAMA case was a complex web of cross border and international financial intrigue which had little practical implications for the day to day bread and butter work of the NI administration.

The RHI case is one of the misspending of close to £1/2bn of the actual NI budget.

Apples and oranges. The NAMA case was a complex web of cross border and international financial intrigue which had little practical implications for the day to day bread and butter work of the NI administration.

The RHI case is one of the misspending of close to £1/2bn of the actual NI budget.
    Point taken.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    This is probably Sinn Féin's best chance in a long while to increase their vote share and to potentially eat into unionist support with Brexit and now this, their support has long plateaued.
    There is only so far they can climb, Unionists won't vote for them, they've 60%+ of the CNR pool of voters who actually bother their arses to get out and vote.

Until SFs potential pool of voters get exercised enough to go out and vote then SF are going to stay put and just get on with the business of being inside the tent trying to run the place.

That's normality for ya, boring everyday bread and butter crap.

It seems to be a situation where CNR voters are more than happy to leave dominance of the NI electoral scene to Unionism.

Sorry what is CNR? Not familiar with that term.

Sorry what is CNR? Not familiar with that term.
    Catholic, nationalist, Republican, and on the other side it is PUL which means Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist.

They are broad terms for the two traditional communities, kind of like the old are you a Catholic Atheist or a Protestant Atheist joke.

Catholic, nationalist, Republican, and on the other side it is PUL which means Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist.

They are broad terms for the two traditional communities, kind of like the old are you a Catholic Atheist or a Protestant Atheist joke.
    Ah ok. It's all very tribal though, no? Why would anyone want to be put into those particular boxes?

I don't live in the north, but if I did I think I'd vote Alliance, or maybe Eamon McCann, or the smaller progressive loyalist parties that are the inheritors of Gusty Spence's ideas. Spence when he was in prison was learning from the republicans about revolutionary Marxism and came to the decision that the Protestant working class had more in common with the Taig working class than either did with the power structure.
    Last edited by pluralist; 08-01-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Who would these "smaller progressive loyalist parties" be out of interest?

Ah ok. It's all very tribal though, no? Why would anyone want to be put into those particular boxes?

I don't live in the north, but if I did I think I'd vote Alliance, or maybe Eamon McCann, or the smaller progressive loyalist parties that are the inheritors of Gusty Spence's ideas. Spence when he was in prison was learning from the republicans about revolutionary Marxism and came to the decision that the Protestant working class had more in common with the Taig working class than either did with the power structure.
    It not a question of people self identifying in those blocks, they are just tags that are attached to the tribal blocks.

NI politics is still dominated by the tribal Unionist vs Nationalist blocks with the neutrals looking on bemused.

In the old days it was deemed to be the Catholics vs the Protestants but during The Troubles terms such as Loyalist and Republican became the names for the overtly military wings of each community, with there being a sort of pan Unionist and pan Nationalist fronts opposing each other across the spectrum of violence to pacifists in the opposing blocks.

It's a reductive term but when people were trying to assess the relative numerical strengths of the two communities it was a handy way of counting.

McCann, I never had you down for a hard leftie.

McCann, I never had you down for a hard leftie.
    These days, I am.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast