Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: France - 2017 presidential election

Default Re: France - 2017 presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Nah corruption can still matter, look how it has damaged Sarkozy in the primaries.

They like a good sex scandal alright, but corruption never goes away.
    Juppe got as far as second round v Fillon, he was forced to go to Montreal for two years cos he was banned from public office for fake invoices. Same scam as Fillon is accused of, only this one is his wife!!

Unfortunately if he is dropped or found guilty Ms LeP is already playing the whiter than white card, and leading in some sondages.

OMG

Apparently Fillon's missus got a lot more money than originally reported. And he was looking after the young'uns too...

The British wife of French presidential candidate François Fillon was paid more than €900,000 as his parliamentary assistant and contributor to a magazine owned by a friend, French reports alleged on Tuesday, as police raided parliament in a probe into whether the jobs were fictitious.

Two of the couple's five children were paid €84,000 as assistants, according to satirical weekly Le Canard Enchaîné, bringing the total to almost €1 million.
    Torygraph
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Stick a fork in Fillon

It is looking increasingly likely, that Francois Fillon who until recently was considered the favorite for the French presidential election in the April/May presidential election, may drop out leaving the frontrunner challenger spot to Marine Le Pen in limbo.

Shortly after news broke that the presidential candidate may have paid out as much as 1 million euros to his wife and children - more than initially alleged - in an ever growing graft scandal, French police searched Francois Fillon's office in parliament as an inquiry into alleged fake work by his wife threatened his campaign and party leaders began to consider a 'Plan B' without him. Fillon had been favorite to win the presidency for the conservative Republicans party until a week ago, when it was reported that his wife Penelope had drawn hundreds of thousands of euros in pay from state funds without doing any work.

According to Reuters citing the latest opinion poll conducted on Tuesday, 76% of voters were not convinced of his professed innocence. With the inquiry gathering pace, party officials began to wonder whether, and how, they might replace him.

"The way things are going, I think we might have to quickly trigger a plan B," one lawmaker on condition of anonymity told Reuters.

"Plan B. Lots of people are thinking, reflecting and working on it but no one will speak openly about it," said another influential Republicans member of parliament.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...er-police-sear
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

When I read horsesh*t like "opinion polls", "one lawmaker" and "another influential Republicans member of parliament" all my conditioning alarm bellz go off. Brace yourselves, lads, Marine is coming.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    When I read horsesh*t like "opinion polls", "one lawmaker" and "another influential Republicans member of parliament" all my conditioning alarm bellz go off. Brace yourselves, lads, Marine is coming.
    franc nouveau by Christmas. punt nua mid 2018

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Nail. Meet coffin

become prime minister of France in May 2007 when the British Daily Telegraph video-recorded the interview with Penelope Fillon, who is Welsh. “I have never been actually his assistant or anything like that. I don’t deal with his communication,” Ms Fillon told the Telegraph.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...medium=twitter

Money for these people is like sex for the rest of us.

Some of them actually value money more than political power.

Local commentary is mixed. Some stuff about his party readying an alternative candidate, but who? Himself carrying on regardless, video last night might well be the nail, however, no consensus on second round effect.

Melonchon being mentioned as a beneficiary, he, an indo, middle of the roader, would need to score well in first round. Agreed that sondages are not a good indication, but the feeling is that LeP cannot move up from the 30s to over 50 for the second round. If she did all the rest would have to make serious cockups. One scenario is if Fillon soldiers on then the right will move right away from his base supporters, benefitting LeP in second round.

Still, a long way to go, water to flow under the bridge.

Le Pen is interesting. Right Wing politically but seemingly Left Wing socially & economically. At least if one can believe what she says

Arguing that the FN was the party of the French people, Ms Le Pen said she wanted a "free, independent and democratic country".

Globalisation, she said, meant "manufacturing by slaves for selling to the unemployed" while the FN solution was a "local revolution" guided by "intelligent protectionism and economic patriotism".

She said the EU was a "failure" which had "kept none of its promises", and she promised to renegotiate French membership fundamentally, and would call a referendum on leaving if the attempt failed.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.c...s/amp/38872335

Fillon putting up a fight

French conservative presidential candidate Francois Fillon will fight back on Monday against the fake job scandal that threatens his campaign, a source close to him said.

"Counter-attack," the source said in a text message. Fillon "plans to tell the truth to the French people", when he speaks at his campaign headquarters at 4 pm (1500 GMT).

Fillon has come under pressure to quit the race since a newspaper, Le Canard enchaine, published a report on Jan. 25 alleging that his wife Penelope was paid hundreds of thousands of euros in state money for work she may never have done.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fr...-idUSKBN15L0WW

Fillon met with the heavies of the Republican party but they couldn't come up with an alternative. His arrogance is breathtaking. Remains to be seen what the effect, if any, his "apology" brings.

General consensus is he won't make round two, unless Macron has some skeleton somewhere, or, as a first timer in the national election scene, doesn't hack it.

Ms LeP will head the first round, but whoever is with her in the second will become president, the electorate will vote to stop LeP.

Macron??? Should the Goldman $achs puppet make it to the second round he'll be minced meat.

France, Opinion Way poll:

Le Pen (FN-ENF): 25% ↓
    Macron (EM-NI) 23%
    Fillon (LR-EPP): 20%
    Hamon (PS-S&D) 14%
    Mélenchon (FG-LEFT): 12% ↑
    Dupont-Aignan (DLF-EFDD): 4% ↑
    Jadot (EELV-G/EFA): 1% ↓
    Poutou (NPA-LEFT): 1%
    Arthaud (LO-NI): 0%

https://www.facebook.com/EuropeElect...74588982737778

Does Mélenchon have any hope? I reckon Le Pen will have less chance of beating him than any of the establishment candidates as like everywhere else there is a lot of pissed off voters.
    Do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Lee View Post
    Does Mélenchon have any hope? I reckon Le Pen will have less chance of beating him than any of the establishment candidates as like everywhere else there is a lot of pissed off voters.
    There is some "emotional" support for Melonchon, not sure why, or from where, people have said to me that he is nice, but I'd say they are from the same region. Don't know when the poll was done, not since Mondays apology?

Last night's news showed Fillon being booed, and the Canard has a piece saying the Mrs got 45k compo from the Parliament when she left. You could not make it up BUT isn't there a similar deal in the Dail? Fillon's argument is there is nothing illegal and everybody does it. However, the reaction is, you are rich, we are not.

As I said, whoever ends up in second round v LeP will win. Despite Trumpishness and the NL and German movements, Mrs LeP doesn't have the numbers, her % isn't moving, second round vote will be, regardless , almost, of who, will be agin her. The feeling is "suck it up" even if you have vote for an ex Goldman Sucks type.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast