Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread started by C. Flower - News Media and the Internet - What is 'Fake' and What is Real ?

Default Re: News Media and the Internet - What is 'Fake' and What is Real ?

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    the week before the election i knew something was wrong with my Facebook feed

my right hand side was lined w support adds for Trump

t'was the same week that Comey posted that he was going to start another investigation on the Clinton emails

everyone was in distress.

47% waited to get data .. virginia + first tallies from midwest .. it was about 9p and in our house it was over. the other 47% were flabbergasted, couldn't believe it, trump looked like someone was playing a g-d damned prank on him...

well

Ahh ... you may want to understand why AI is already in control of how we feel and how we vote

(and some folks over here are so out of touch they are still talking about Workers Unions)

RNY

SAN FRANCISCO — An automated army of pro-Donald J. Trump chatbots overwhelmed similar programs supporting Hillary Clinton five to one in the days leading up to the presidential election, according to a report published Thursday by researchers at Oxford University.

The chatbots — basic software programs with a bit of artificial intelligence and rudimentary communication skills — would send messages on Twitter based on a topic, usually defined on the social network by a word preceded by a hashtag symbol, like #Clinton.

Their purpose: to rant, confuse people on facts, or simply muddy discussions, said Philip N. Howard, a sociologist at the Oxford Internet Institute and one of the authors of the report. If you were looking for a real debate of the issues, you weren’t going to find it with a chatbot.

“They’re yelling fools,” Dr. Howard said. “And a lot of what they pass around is false news.”

The role fake news played in the presidential election has become a sore point for the technology industry, particularly Google, Twitter and Facebook. On Monday, Google said it would ban websites that peddle fake news from using its online advertising service. Facebook also updated the language in its Facebook Audience Network policy, which already says it will not display ads in sites that show misleading or illegal content, to include fake news sites.

In some cases, the bots would post embarrassing photos, make references to the Federal Bureau of Investigation inquiry into Mrs. Clinton’s private email server, or produce false statements, for instance, that Mrs. Clinton was about to go to jail or was already in jail.

Automated Pro-Trump Bots Overwhelmed Pro-Clinton Messages, Researchers Say
    By JOHN MARKOFFNOV. 17, 2016
    So both candidates had bots spreading fake stories but Trump had more

Who was first? Who responded?

Also. For clarity; are you against the use of bots to spread fake news or against it only when your least preferred candidate does so?
    Last edited by DCon; 18-11-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

For future reference.
    RNY

-----

False, Misleading, Clickbait-y, and/or Satirical “News” Sources
    Disclaimer 1: All of the contents in this document reflect the opinion of the author and are for educational purposes only. This resource was split into categories around 8:00pm EST on 11/15/16.

CATEGORY 1: Below is a list of fake, false, or regularly misleading websites that are shared on Facebook and social media. Some of these websites may rely on “outrage” by using distorted headlines and decontextualized or dubious information in order to generate likes, shares, and profits. These websites are categorized with the number 1 next to them.

CATEGORY 2: Some websites on this list may circulate misleading and/or potentially unreliable information, and they are marked with a 2.

CATEGORY 3: Other websites on this list sometimes use clickbait-y headlines and social media descriptions, and they are marked with a 3.

CATEGORY 4: Other sources on this list are purposefully fake with the intent of satire/comedy, which can offer important critical commentary on politics and society, but have the potential to be shared as actual/literal news. I’m including them here, for now, because 1.) they have the potential to perpetuate misinformation based on different audience (mis)interpretations and 2.) to make sure anyone who reads a story by The Onion, for example, understands its purpose. If you think this is unnecessary, please see Literally Unbelievable.

Note: I will be updating the categorizations and adding links gradually through the next couple of days.
    Many of the websites on this list continue to offer valuable journalism and/or satirical commentary. For example, a website included on this list wrote an overall thoughtful piece about the list, but the headline suggests that every source on this list is fake, which misrepresents the list. Finally, I do not condone plug-ins that automatically block any of the websites listed below. And as a reminder, not all of the sources listed below should be considered fake.

100PercentFedUp.com (2,3)
    EnduringVision.com (1)
    PakAlertPress.com
    21stCenturyWire.com (2, 3)
    FPRNradio.com
    PoliticalBlindSpot.com
    70news.wordpress.com (1)
    The Free Thought Project (3)
    PoliticalEars.com
    Abcnews.com.co (1)
    GeoEngineeringWatch.org
    Politicalo (1)
    ActivistPost.com (2, 3)
    *Website Removed* (temporarily)
    PoliticusUSA
    Addicting Info (3)
    GovtSlaves.info
    PrisonPlanet.com
    AmericanNews.com (1)
    GulagBound.com
    PrisonPlanet.tv
    AnonNews.co (3)
    HangTheBankers.com
    Associated Media Coverage
    HumansAreFree.com
    ProjectVeritas
    BeforeItsNews.com
    Huzlers (4)
    Being Liberal
    IfYouOnlyNews
    React 365
    BigAmericanNews.com
    Indecision Forever (1)
    RealFarmacy.com
    BigPZone.com
    IJR (Independent Journal Review)
    RealNewsRightNow.com (1, 4)
    Bipartisan Report (3)
    InfoWars (1, 2)
    RedFlagNews.com
    BizPac Review
    Infowars.com
    Red State (3)
    Blue Nation Review (2,3)
    IntelliHub.com
    Reductress (4)
    Breitbart (2, 3)
    Inquisitr.com
    RileNews.com (1, 4)
    Call the Cops (4)
    JonesReport.com
    Satira Tribune
    Cap News (4)
    LewRockwell.com
    Sprotspickle.com (4)
    ChristWire.org (4)
    Liberal America
    The Blaze
    Chronicle.su
    LibertyTalk.fm
    The Free Thought Project (3)
    CivicTribune.com (1)
    LibertyUnyielding
    Borowitz Report (4)
    ClickHole.com (4)
    LibertyVideos.org
    The Onion (4)
    CoastToCoastAM.com (2)
    LMR/LibertyMovementRadio.com
    The Other 98% (3)
    CollectiveEvolution (3)
    MediaMass.net (1)
    The Reporterz
    ConsciousLifeNews.com (2)
    MegynKelly.us (1)
    The Stately Harold
    ConservativeOutfitters.com (2)
    MSNBC.com.co (1)
    TheDailySheeple.com
    ConspiracyWire (WideAwakeAmerica.com) (2)
    MSNBC.website (1)
    TheNewsNerd.com
    CountdownToZeroTime.com (2)
    Naha Daily (4)
    TheRunDownLive.com
    CounterPsyOps.com
    National Report
    TheUsPatriot.com
    NationalReport.net (1)
    TruthFrequencyRadio.com
    CreamBMP.com (1)
    NaturalNews.com
    Twitchy.com (3)
    DailyBuzzLive.com
    NC Scooper
    UnconfirmedSources.com
    DailyCurrant.com
    NCT (New Century Times)
    News Examiner
    USA Supreme
    Daily Wire
    News-Hound.com (1)
    US.Blasting.News
    DCClothesLine.com
    NewsBiscuit.com (1)
    US Uncut (3)
    DCGazette.com (1)
    Newslo (1, 4)
    VeteransToday.com
    DerfMagazine.com
    NewsMutiny.com (1, 4)
    *Website Removed*
    (temporarily)
    Disclose.tv
    Newswatch 28
    WakingUpWisconsin.com
    DrudgeReport.com.co (1)
    Newswatch 33
    Winning Democrats
    DuffleBlog.com (4)
    NewsWire-24.com
    WitScience.org
    DuhProgressive.com
    NoDisInfo.com
    World Net Daily
    Embols.com
    Now8News
    World News Daily Report (4)
    Empire Herald
    NowTheEndBegins.com
    WorldTruth.tv
    Empire News (1)
    Occupy Democrats (3)
    ZeroHedge
    EmpireNews.com
    Endingthefed.com

Tips for analyzing news sources:

Avoid websites that end in “lo” ex: Newslo (above). These sites take pieces of accurate information and then packaging that information with other false or misleading “facts” (sometimes for the purposes of satire or comedy).

Watch out for websites that end in “.com.co” as they are often fake versions of real news sources

Watch out if known/reputable news sites are not also reporting on the story. Sometimes lack of coverage is the result of corporate media bias and other factors, but there should typically be more than one source reporting on a topic or event.

Odd domain names generally equal odd and rarely truthful news.

Lack of author attribution may, but not always, signify that the news story is suspect and requires verification.

Some news organizations are also letting bloggers post under the banner of particular news brands; however, many of these posts do not go through the same editing process (ex: BuzzFeed Community Posts, Kinja blogs, Forbes blogs).

Check the “About Us” tab on websites or look up the website on Snopes or Wikipedia for more information about the source.

Bad web design and use of ALL CAPS can also be a sign that the source you’re looking at should be verified and/or read in conjunction with other sources.

If the story makes you REALLY ANGRY it’s probably a good idea to keep reading about the topic via other sources to make sure the story you read wasn’t purposefully trying to make you angry (with potentially misleading or false information) in order to generate shares and ad revenue.

If the website you’re reading encourages you to DOX individuals, it’s unlikely to be a legitimate source of news.

It’s always best to read multiple sources of information to get a variety of viewpoints and media frames. Some sources not yet included in this list (although their practices at times may qualify them for addition), such as The Daily Kos, The Huffington Post, and Fox News, vacillate between providing important, legitimate, problematic, and/or hyperbolic news coverage, requiring readers and viewers to verify and contextualize information with other sources.

Bio: I am an assistant professor of communication & media, and this list started as a resource for my students, who are learning about journalism/social media/media literacy.

Update 1: I’ve received hundreds of emails with suggestions, very few of which are duplicates, so it will take me a while to sift through and verify them. I will add them as appropriate. (EDIT 11/15/2016 @ 3:42 EST: I have a list of sources, suggested by all of you, that will take me a long time to get through)

Update 2: Yes, I am considering further coding/categorizing these sources for clarity and creating a more durable/dynamic database. This is likely just step 1.

Update 3: Some people are asking which news sources I trust, and all I can say is that I read/watch/listen very widely, from mainstream, corporate owned sources (The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes) as well as The Atlantic, National Public Radio, and various local and alternative sources with different political perspectives, some of which are included on this list. The problem: Even typically reliable sources, whether mainstream or alternative, corporate or nonprofit, rely on particular media frames to report stories and select stories based on different notions of newsworthiness. The best thing to do in our contemporary media environment is to read/watch/listen widely and often, and to be critical of the sources we share and engage with on social media.

Update 4: A group of AWESOME librarians will be working with this list to provide more detail, examples of the news articles in question, etc. I will post what they make here when it is complete.

Update 5: It should be noted I’m not the first person to call out some of these websites. When I first started compiling this specific large list on Monday, some friends alerted me to many websites doing similar and great work, such as Ed Brayton’s recent post at Patheos (I included many of the websites on his list after checking them myself if I was unfamiliar). I plan on providing more links to outside resources in the near future.

© 2016 by Melissa Zimdars
    The work 'False, Misleading, Clickbait-y, and Satirical “News” Sources'
    is made available under a Creative Commons
    Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
    No sign of Political World on that list.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

RNY quoting Melissa Zimdars

C. Flower quoting RNY quoting Melissa Zimdars:

and the above interchange is an excellent example of how fake news get PRODUCED
    Exactly - by magic a true report regarding Hilary Clinton's email scandal is dropped into a story about fake news.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    So both candidates had bots spreading fake stories but Trump had more

Who was first? Who responded?

Also. For clarity; are you against the use of bots to spread fake news or against it only when your least preferred candidate does so?
    I am against the use of bots to spread fake news. Period.

cos a number of yous here would be out of a job

(I am a Job Creator, i worry about these things)

---
    But I am also against People spreading false sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Exactly - by magic a true report regarding Hilary Clinton's email scandal is dropped into a story about fake news.
    do you happen to know or have bothered to 'report' here what was the result of the investigation?

this is part of the problem

back in the day people would actually report on outcomes of investigations... Found Guilty/ Found Not Guilty

these days folks are so gullible to consume whatever infotainment comes their way that the initiation of ANY investigation IS the news

Sounds like the inquisitorial Autos da Fé, Lisbon, 1755.

Sounds like the inquisitorial Autos da Fé, Lisbon, 1755.
    So you and your friends want to be the new Spanish Inquisition and anyone daring to question your candidate gets burned at the stake?

Another subtle point of law that you may have missed: Courts and juries find people guilty or not guilty. Investigations generally only determine if there is a case to answer. Let's see if you recognise this.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    No sign of Political World on that list.
    what a relief, eh Riposte !

Fake news on Facebook is a real problem. These college students came up with a fix in 36 hours.
    By Colby Itkowitz November 18 at 6:15 AM

When Nabanita De scrolled through her Facebook feed recently, she felt afraid. There were so many posts with competing information and accusations about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton that she didn’t know how to begin deciphering the fearmongering from the reality.

The social media site has faced criticism since the presidential election for its role in disseminating fake and misleading stories that are indistinguishable from real news. Because Facebook’s algorithm is designed to determine what its individual users want to see, people often see only that which validates their existing beliefs regardless of whether the information being shared is true.

So when De, an international second-year master’s student at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, attended a hackathon at Princeton University this week with a simple prompt to develop a technology project in 36 hours, she suggested to her three teammates that they try to build an algorithm that authenticates what is real and what is fake on Facebook.

And they were able to do it.

De, with Anant Goel, a freshman at Purdue University, and Mark Craft and Qinglin Chen, sophomores at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, built a Chrome browser extension that tags links in Facebook feeds as verified or not verified by taking into account factors such as the source’s credibility and cross-checking the content with other news stories. Where a post appears to be false, the plug-in will provide a summary of more credible information on the topic online.

They’ve called it FiB.

---

I think FB already does this to tag active reporters and writers (at least those are the only ones FB Verified in my feed)

(now..look at the darling faces of the international college kids in the pictures)
    Last edited by random new yorker; 19-11-2016 at 03:46 AM.

---
    And if Clinton bots had won her the election would you be here complaining about it?

Just out of interest
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

---
    Then stop doing it.

I'm talking about the false and abusive slurs against other forum members.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 19-11-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Interesting to see how this "Fake News" meme is being used to attempt to justify censorhip - even satire sites like the Onion are under attack .

It is also being used to try to clean up some of the very real dirt around Hilary Clinton.

Buzzfeed - who owns and runs that site ?? - published a story on so-called false news that claims that reportage of Assange's views (on Political Insider) on Clinton having funded jihadists including ISIS was fake news.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/viral-fake-election-news-outperformed-real-news-on-facebook?utm_term=.bi69eeoge#.fd8wJJqmJ

But it came from the horse's mouth. You can read the emails and decide for yourself if you think he is right.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/w...breaking-news/

Further back up the thread, mention of the very real Clinton emails was smuggled into a list of so-called "Fake News".

"Fake News" is a construct designed to enable and justify blanket censorship.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 19-11-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

It all sounds very Conor Cruise O'Brien-esque...the "liberal" who loved censorship because it suited his political agenda.

Democrats need to face up that they put forward a poor candidate that said business as usual, while for a long time now they have adandoned and alienated their support base.

what a relief, eh Riposte !
    Cass runs a tight ship .... keeping a close eye on the libel laws.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Seems that the "approved blacklist" of websites was just a Snowflake effort designed to impress the like-minded and censor sites that didn't agree with the HRC campaign. It has been rather well debunked.

Regards...jmcc

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast