Page 110 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1662

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Default Re: The Trump Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    the Israelis don't trust him either, dont forget one of the first things he did in office was to whisper some serious intelligence he got from the Israelis (on Syria if I recall correctly) in the ear of the russian ambassador ...

that is why this is so interesting

the world thinks he is a demented psycho, a reckless scumbag, that is why they can not predict what his next move will be .. my guess is the Israelis will be cautious and the Palestinians better make a move RIGHT NOW to get their share of Jerusalem (East)... the longer they wait the most difficult it will be for them to get it..
    The Palestinians can't make any moves because Israel will whack them and use it as an excuse to grab more. The Palestinians have no one to turn to who will go beyond lip service to them. It's sad to watch, but the reality is pretty grim for them.

Palestinians have learnt a hard lesson : there is no reward for using peaceful protest , keeping ceasefires or electoral processes. None whatsoever. They may as well wait this out. No progress can be made without the constructive involved of the US govt. And there is no US government.

I suppose this could all be Trumps tactical dressage to get the East gate of the Jerusalem City walls re-opened for the second coming of the fabled King of the Jews [Jesus] Boy! would that sure put things into perspective over two thousand years on.
    Last edited by Trow; 07-12-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Donny's deal-making abilities got mocked by the pundits. He gave away for nothing, something he might have been able to use as leverage in an agreement to stop new settlements.

More specifically on the move......

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...rusalem-embas/
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    He gave away for nothing, something he might have been able to use as leverage in an agreement to stop new settlements.
    Or so it seems. Doubt if this ''gift'' to Israel was'nt discussed behind closed doors during his visit to Israel back in May this year. He himself has ordered a new settlement with the relocation of the American Embassy.

Doubt also if Israel would ever back off with their claim to any portion of ''their promised land.'' In effect, he had no leverage to begin with.

I wonder what Iran has to say on recent developments? Their funding of Hamas and Hezbolla i'm sure will become an issue of interest for the US should any major dissent arise from Trumps move. What actions the US and Israel might take against such a ''funder of terrorism'' against Trumps pursuit of perfect peace in the Holy lands has already been mapped i suspect.

An article looking at Iran in perspective to the above.. http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a8097261.html
    Last edited by Trow; 07-12-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Just finished listening to his *speech*

Defo Teleprompter-Trump. A standard GOP speech sprinkled with a few trumpisms ... someone has him under control. His son-in-law i presume.

It is very risky what he is doing but it could work out. The Palestinians will not want to stay on the margin and should move up to the table to negotiate East Jerusalem for themselves. (I hope).

I guess now we have to wait and see what happens.
    Ha! East Jerusalem is occupied by Israeli soldiers, which are not about to leave unless forced to. A East Jerusalem "capital" would be a farce. As is the whole idea that the USA was ever anything but an enemy of Palestinian rights, whoever was President.

As the whole issue is merely symbolic anyway, I do not expect any truly explosive developments from it. By ripping away from Palestinian eyes any last illusions that the USA is their friend, that is beneficial. But, I think most Palestinians know that already.

-AMH

the Israelis don't trust him either, dont forget one of the first things he did in office was to whisper some serious intelligence he got from the Israelis (on Syria if I recall correctly) in the ear of the russian ambassador ...

that is why this is so interesting

the world thinks he is a demented psycho, a reckless scumbag, that is why they can not predict what his next move will be .. my guess is the Israelis will be cautious and the Palestinians better make a move RIGHT NOW to get their share of Jerusalem (East)... the longer they wait the most difficult it will be for them to get it..
    That was all PR. The fact is that Israel has pretty good relations with Putin, rather better than Trump has at this moment. The Israelis don't like Russian support of Syria, but Putin has been very careful not to offend them too much. The Israelis want all Iranian influence run out of Syria, but have made it clear that Russian presence there is OK with them, as long as the Russians don't give Assad nukes or something.

-AMH

Donny's deal-making abilities got mocked by the pundits. He gave away for nothing, something he might have been able to use as leverage in an agreement to stop new settlements.

Why would Trump want to block new settlements? His outdoing the Democrats in catering to every Israeli whim is very useful to cover up stuff like his tolerance of his alt-right supporters and their neo-Nazi fringe.

-AMH

Quote Originally Posted by A Marxist Historian View Post
    Why would Trump want to block new settlements? His outdoing the Democrats in catering to every Israeli whim is very useful to cover up stuff like his tolerance of his alt-right supporters and their neo-Nazi fringe.

-AMH
    I doubt Trump cares much about settlements, I used them as an example only. Trump values his reputation as a dealmaker, and giving without getting is not in his DNA. Maybe Israel would have given something if pushed.

The irony is that Trump's base probably couldn't find Israel on the map, and wouldn't admit to it if they could.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Palestinians have learnt a hard lesson : there is no reward for using peaceful protest , keeping ceasefires or electoral processes. None whatsoever. They may as well wait this out. No progress can be made without the constructive involved of the US govt. And there is no US government.
    our State Department is like nearly abandoned or something of the sort.. a lot of career diplomats either quit or were pushed aside, i read yesterday of Rexit (trump will dump Rex Tillerson in one of his firing-of-the-month show off sessions).. so yeah, certainly representation of the US gov around the world is taking a hit.. i suppose it adds to the glee of a good number of members in this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I suppose this could all be Trumps tactical dressage to get the East gate of the Jerusalem City walls re-opened for the second coming of the fabled King of the Jews [Jesus] Boy! would that sure put things into perspective over two thousand years on.

yes he is indeed playing to his evangelical base with this one

i dont think the pundits know what's going on with Israel either .. and trump doesn't give two sh*ts about settlements .. not sure he knows what that is.. his question in that case would be if he can go build the 5 star condos himself . .. all the other prez candidates since clinton have made this promise in the campaign trail..

i dont think it matters much and it won't change anything either

Quote Originally Posted by A Marxist Historian View Post
    Ha! East Jerusalem is occupied by Israeli soldiers, which are not about to leave unless forced to. A East Jerusalem "capital" would be a farce. As is the whole idea that the USA was ever anything but an enemy of Palestinian rights, whoever was President.

As the whole issue is merely symbolic anyway, I do not expect any truly explosive developments from it. By ripping away from Palestinian eyes any last illusions that the USA is their friend, that is beneficial. But, I think most Palestinians know that already.

-AMH
    we agree on that ..

this president is patently a hater but i believe he is generally anti-semitic (also anti-jew).. only he found the outlet for his hatred in muslims cos the jews he knows in NY are good 'clients' and unlike himself pay their bills on time .. in other words if Ivanka would get a divorce from Kushner he would just as easily turn on them

he sounds like certain living fossils you guys describe here living up North (maybe cos his scotish mother?)... someone taught the boy to divide to conquer, build walls, sow hate between the fractions before getting the ball rolling, no! we are not all snowflake people, and we dont "all" have the same basic rights .. according to the teachings of his tribe, well lie, lie lie and deny any wrong doings, gaslighting is his way of doing business .. a living fossil himself (in my opinion).

I dont believe other people (governments) take him seriously on foreign policy. Cos he doesn't care about foreign policy. He cares about himself and how he will keep playing to his base of Evangelicals in this case.. (dont make the mistake of thinking he is doing this for the Israelis or for any jews)
    Last edited by random new yorker; 08-12-2017 at 06:20 AM.

I doubt Trump cares much about settlements, I used them as an example only. Trump values his reputation as a dealmaker, and giving without getting is not in his DNA. Maybe Israel would have given something if pushed.

The irony is that Trump's base probably couldn't find Israel on the map, and wouldn't admit to it if they could.
    Yes, he might like the Israelis to give him a Trump Tower in Jerusalem.

-AMH

this is the reason why i think the World has moved on from this Palestinian issue:

"Palestinian leaders have learned that declarations of concrete support from their Arab brothers only sometimes materialized. And many note that the Arab world has done little more than issue notes of protest as the Israeli government has extended its de facto control over the eastern part of Jerusalem since seizing it from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war and annexing it in a move still not recognized by most of the world.

The Palestinians’ Arab defenders have meanwhile shifted their own priorities."

Ppl have bigger fish to fry and all the attention and rivers of ink bestowed on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict 2000-2014 led to zero progress.

Page 110 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111 LastLast