Page 11 of 149 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Default Re: The Trump Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Lol the delusion is actually funny at this stage. RNY try a dose of reality.

Firstly no one supported Trump on here. They were both terrible candidates. As I said earlier in the election thread America is circling the toilet bowl of history, and the American citizens hit flush.Try blaming people who actually voted for Trump.
    you didn't ...many other people posting here did

Although I'm glad to hear we are so influential on here, if we can decide and sway the US election Palestine will be liberated, the banking debt repudiated, the homeless housed, Ireland united, the health service fixed etc etc any second now.
    not sure anyone can measure real-time influence of sites such as PW (it is very small indeed)

for me it is a good metric of what goes on with like minded people here in the US (on the issue of US elections) - the minds of the people that thought ANYTHING was better than Hillary. On the left in the US those that resemble what you guys said here were the Bernie-or-Busters.

your influence can only be measured in your actions in FB and TWT - those are the global platforms - it depends on what you share there and how often and how many of you are real 'hubs' of traffic or 'influencers'

if you go by what JMCC says I would have to believe none of you are (influencers)

one of the most important facts i learned from my previous conversation with JMCC (a couple of weeks ago, not today)

is that whatever is going on

=> NO one is in control.

(now ask yourself if that is a good thing ? - the anarchist would jump for yes! )

now to avoid ending my contribution here in a negative note

and given that i know a good number of you are/were newsmen/women

read this

Earlier this month, VanityFair.com reached out to several reality-show producers to get their thoughts on one of the genre’s most grandstanding stars, Donald Trump, being elected president. After the piece was published, we were put in touch with Emmy-winning executive producer Bill Pruitt (The Amazing Race, Deadliest Catch), who worked on The Apprentice’s first two seasons. While Pruitt, who has worked in reality television for more than a decade, did not wish to speak about his own experience with Trump—“What we all thought or heard or saw behind the scenes is pointless,” Pruitt wrote, “He got elected and what’s done is done”—he did agree to let VF.com publish the remainder of his e-mail, which we have reprinted below.

There’s a larger issue at hand: non-fiction or “reality” television has obviously become a huge force in shaping the minds of the populace. The Apprentice contributed to that. People lapped up what the producers were putting out, and the danger became real as news directors, desperate to compete with ratings, started putting music under soft news stories. Facebook started pushing altogether fake news. Opinions on Twitter became truths over lies. People were prone to clickbait no matter how salacious or factually questionable it was, and the entire journalism world turned on its head.

At the very same time, some clever producers were putting forth a manufactured story about a billionaire whose empire was, in actuality, crumbling at the very same time he took the job, the salary, and ownership rights to do a reality show. The Apprentice was a scam put forth to the public in exchange for ratings. We were “entertaining,” and the story about Donald Trump and his stature fell into some bizarre public record as “truth.” This is nothing new, and the impact it’s having on the history of the world is best depicted in the Academy Award-winning film Network, a satire.

Tom Wolfe’s The Bonfire of the Vanities tried to outwit the headlines, but things have gone completely off the rails now with regard to how storytellers have to work double time just to keep up with the awful and true antics of Kanye West, the separating HGTV home-makeover couple, and our president-elect. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Supermarket tabloids are being thrust from the podiums of congressmen and Supreme Court justices. Smart people are playing dumb. And now it’s pretty safe to say that the man behind the curtain, Vladimir Putin, and his merry band of hackers, has done a decent job of playing puppet master doing a Jedi mind trick on the world so that he and Exxon Mobil could strike deals that would make them and the other 1 percent more rich and powerful than they already are.

So it’s more than just about lewd, lascivious behavior, and narcissism on set. It’s about a complex global system that uses the media to construct its allies and to sway the populace to move like lemmings toward the ballot box. We are masterful storytellers and we did our job well. What’s shocking to me is how quickly and decisively the world bought it.

Did we think this clown, this buffoon with the funny hair, would ever become a world leader? Not once. Ever. Would he and his bombastic nature dominate in prime-time TV? We hoped so. Now that the lines of fiction and reality have blurred to the horrifying extent that they have, those involved in the media must have their day of reckoning. People are buying our crap. Make it entertaining, yes. But make it real. Give them the truth or pay the consequences.

Full text here.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    let's try another level of thinking
    No. Let's stick with the facts.

the TIP of the iceberg: if an old n daft-y social media crowd such as the folks posting in english speaking PW lean TRUMP as opposite to "criminal" Hillary as is posted above .. what do you think is going on in the bottom 99% of the iceberg you dont see here, i think even the guys bordering on math illiteracy can guess that one
    You do know that Graph Theory is a part of Mathematics, don't you?

no i am fully aware of Hillary's flaws
    And did you become aware of them before or after she lost the election?

i am not going to deny that every time Trump chooses one of his idiots to run the country i think of the people that promoted anti-Hillary hatred
    Finally coming to terms with a Trump administration? Why are they idiots? Is it because you and the mainstream media, who got things completely wrong, said so? And if they are idiots, how come they were selected instead of people like yourself?

so, yes you helped Trump win with yours/their day-in-day-out hatred of HRC
    Because we didn't share your adulation of HRC, we helped Trump?

why dont you people just own it.. own your WIN!! you got your man in da House
    Don't get it yet? He's not our man.

and there's the kiddo upthread complaining about g-d knows what? after making numerous and clear arguments in favor of Trump ... why not enjoy your win?
    I'm enjoying getting a prediction right but that's more a professional thing in that I have to be able to work out things before others see them.

your collective attitude to the whole thing is very bizarre..
    Remember the "politics as entertainment" thing? Try seeing it in that context. Some people here might be on the Left of the political spectrum, some in the centre, some on the Right and others might be not be easily classifiable as either Left, Centre or Right because they share attributes from all parts of the spectrum.

what OUTgoing traffic man! get your **** together! it is not about outgoing as it is a reflection of what goes on in minds of people like you ..and what people like you (that can vote) ended up sharing on social media in addition to what you people shered in Ireland that landed here, back and forth
    People with professional search engine development experience think in terms of inbound (people visiting a site by clicking on links on other sites) and outbound traffic (people visiting other sites from a link on a site) and link graphs, among other things. As I said, you don't seem to understand Social Media. Outgoing traffic is where people click on a link on a site which takes them to another site. People like me rarely share links outside of our professional areas. If we are on political discussion websites, it is more likely that we would post a link to a mainstream media article. We are almost always too busy running the internet to bother.

(why are you pulling the blinders over your eyes? - i mean YOU know that!)
    Actually we know a lot more but don't see things through the tunnel vision of HRC-tinted welding glasses.

post that classified data here
    So you are advocating posting classified US data on a website? I remember Assange when he was on a particular mailing list that dealt with cryptography, hacking and privacy issues but that's probably before you discovered the internet. The problem is that HRC compromised classified data. There are people serving prison sentences in the US for compromising classified data.

oh no ... i didnt know ye guys caint vote? oh ..NO!
    A few can. But most of us cannot vote in US elections. Care to guess why?

the snowflakes get their car assaulted when they go Christmas shopping because ..well.. they still have bumper stickers for Hillary... that is my world now...one that i want you to know you helped create when you reposted the Breitbart "truths" on your Facebook and Twitter.
    As opposed to the Youtube and news clips of people who voted for Trump being physically assaulted? God forbid anyone would hurt the feelings of Snowflakes. They are such special little people. Again, you really don't understand Social Media and the web. People who may have supported Trump and who consider the mainstream media to be little more than presstitutes for the status quo, or in the case of a lot of the US media, HRC, may have posted links to Breitbart and other sources on their FB or Twitter accounts. However I, and many others, would not even bother doing this. What you repeatedly fail to understand is that we are discussing politics and are not, generally, political activists like you.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    A more eloquent take-down of the above airhead nonsense could not have been better framed.

The HRC diehards seem to live in a bubble where the whole world is to blame for Trump and not herself nor her party/campaign apparatus nor her record.

It is almost a pleasure to see such airhead tomfoolery as it shows their time is over. HRC type politics, Blairism and warmongering interventionism, is over. Sanders is the Alternative now and he will, I suspect, take over the Democratic party as they are, sadly it must be said, where they need to be to actually listen to him, which is their own fault of course.

4 years of Trump will make Bernie very electable.

Your social media arguments are pretty indisputable too. RNY would do well to listen to one of our resident IT 'experts' as she herself often offers well-informed opinions on Scientific matters, if not much else.

Hillary supporters really do seem to be sore losers. They cannot admit they were wrong, and Sanders was right in terms of the required alternative to right-wing 'populism'. Everything else re. the corrupton of the DNC could be forgotten if they would just admit they were strategically and ideologically wrong, but they won't and they can't.
    All true about Hilary, but don't mistake it, Trump and Trumpism is very, very dangerous. It really is part of that wider 'rise of the right' that you did not enjoy about Austria.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    The China situation is very interesting. There are millions of Chinese registered .com, .net and .org domains being deleted at the moment from the Chinese domain bubble in Q3/Q4 2015. It was a largely speculative bubble and the money spent on those deleting domain names was often spent by people who didn't know the business. A shift away from the China-friendly trade position would be very different from the Clinton/Obama position.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Anyone who decides how to vote because of a meme or what someone shares on Facebook is a moron. If a country's citizens are so moronic that they need to be protected from Facebook posts by foreigners because they are unthinking idiots who cannot critically engage and come to an independent decision on how to cast a vote then that country is doomed. In the toilet bowl if you will.
    You appear to be operating under the false assumption that a country of 320M could, would, or should, organize and manage itself in the same manner as a country of 3M. You likely haven't experienced enough of the world yet, to understand that is unworkable. When businesses scale they evolve or die, so too with countries.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    As opposed to the Youtube and news clips of people who voted for Trump being physically assaulted? God forbid anyone would hurt the feelings of Snowflakes. They are such special little people. Again, you really don't understand Social Media and the web. People who may have supported Trump and who consider the mainstream media to be little more than presstitutes for the status quo, or in the case of a lot of the US media, HRC, may have posted links to Breitbart and other sources on their FB or Twitter accounts. However I, and many others, would not even bother doing this. What you repeatedly fail to understand is that we are discussing politics and are not, generally, political activists like you.

Regards...jmcc

you think it is a mere coincidence that the day you are yapping away in PW about Hillary' snowflakes that i should get to my car after a little Christmas shopping and find this?

[--]

or you think that maybe

only maybe

that you/others promoting in real time (in Ireland and in other Eng speaking world) all that Breitbart trash could have consequences in my life?

or those macho-midgets who started overtaking my car on the highway with their testosterone inflated pick-up trucks to intimidate me after the election?

no MAN has ever managed to shut my mouth

and i am afraid to say you will not be the first..

(activist? - i've been called many things but activist is a first - and are you using that word in a derogatory way?)
    Last edited by random new yorker; 24-12-2016 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    that you/others promoting in real time (in Ireland and in other Eng speaking world) all that Breitbart trash could have consequences in my life?
    Despite what you may think, the world does not revolve about you. You are an anonymous poster on a small Irish focused political forum. That image seems to be from Blogspot.com and is tagged "Hillary snowflake". Is it really yours (it would seem strange that you would self-apply the term Hillary snowflake)?

(activist? - i've been called many things but activist is a first - and are you using that work in a demeaning way?)
    You are a political activist. You promote and campaign for a politician (HRC) or political party. You may even be a member of a political party and take an active interest in promoting its ideals. It is not demeaning. Many ordinary, decent people are political activists.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    All true about Hilary, but don't mistake it, Trump and Trumpism is very, very dangerous. It really is part of that wider 'rise of the right' that you did not enjoy about Austria.
    The Trump farce may turn into the fierce Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    The Trump farce may turn into the fierce Trump.
    The biggest danger for the Democrats is that he may be successful.

Regards...jmcc

...So you are advocating posting classified US data on a website? I remember Assange when he was on a particular mailing list that dealt with cryptography, hacking and privacy issues but that's probably before you discovered the internet. The problem is that HRC compromised classified data. There are people serving prison sentences in the US for compromising classified data....
    That she posted classified US data on a website is one of the few things about HRC that are not worth condemning. Regrettably, she did so inadvertently.

Actually those prison sentences are extremely politicized. Petraeus let classified stuff out not only more sensitive than anything HRC did, but arguably more sensitive in the real sense than anything Assange managed to release to the world, but he seems much more likely to end up in Trump's administration than in prison.

Regards...jmcc
    Prosperous supercilious offended white Yuppies with HRC stickers on their car bumpers are hardly the main victims of abuse after Trump's election. Which, though he is hardly a fascist, has definitely galvanized the fascists lurking in the shadows, coming out into the open as the "alt-right" on Breitbart, whose legitimization is ominous. We have a whole string of incidents of verbal harassment, physical assaults and even outright murder as in one case in my own ultra-liberal Bay Area of racial minorities, sweeping the nation. The fascists have interpreted Trump's victory as a victory for white supremacy, and are acting accordingly.

In that context, the occasional harassment of Trumpistas in liberal enclaves is understandable and not to be condemned.

-AMH-

The biggest danger for the Democrats is that he may be successful.

Regards...jmcc
    That seems unlikely. Trump shows every sign of being the kind of president who discredits everything he stands for, insofar as Trump actually stands for anything consistently. But the first few years of his Presidency will be a wild and extremely unpleasant ride for America, and therefore the rest of the world.

The biggest danger is that Trump will be such an utter embarrassing failure as to revive the Democratic Party, a party we really need to do without.

That at one point both the Democratic and Republican Party seemed widely discredited with the American citizenry was the single best thing about this election year.

-AMH-

Quote Originally Posted by A Marxist Historian View Post
    That seems unlikely. Trump shows every sign of being the kind of president who discredits everything he stands for, insofar as Trump actually stands for anything consistently. But the first few years of his Presidency will be a wild and extremely unpleasant ride for America, and therefore the rest of the world.

The biggest danger is that Trump will be such an utter embarrassing failure as to revive the Democratic Party, a party we really need to do without.

That at one point both the Democratic and Republican Party seemed widely discredited with the American citizenry was the single best thing about this election year.

-AMH-

If Trump can keep the Republican party on side then he's quite likely to get a second term if he wants one. He's just got be a good salesman to get that far and 4 years goes by quickly enough. He's a godsend for the Democrats because his antics and appointments will push the Republicans image so far to the right that the Democrats can hold their own vote share because of the Republicans image problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    If Trump can keep the Republican party on side then he's quite likely to get a second term if he wants one. He's just got be a good salesman to get that far and 4 years goes by quickly enough. He's a godsend for the Democrats because his antics and appointments will push the Republicans image so far to the right that the Democrats can hold their own vote share because of the Republicans image problem.
    Keeping the Republican party on side is necessary if he wants to get anything passed through Congress to his liking. But that, with Trump, is actually an if.

In terms of getting himself re-elected in four years, it could actually be a disadvantage. If Trump four years from now still has the image of a fighter against the Democratic and Republican establishments, and can manage to blame the disasters of his term on them instead of himself, that's his best shot at getting re-elected.

-AMH-

Despite what you may think, the world does not revolve about you. You are an anonymous poster on a small Irish focused political forum. That image seems to be from Blogspot.com and is tagged "Hillary snowflake". Is it really yours (it would seem strange that you would self-apply the term Hillary snowflake)?
    yes it is my blog

yesterday as i approached my car after shopping i noticed a lot of litter around, as i got closer i realized this isn't just litter, someone placed it there carefully, and Alas, i only realized what was going on bc you called me a 'Hillary snowflake' here multiple times right after the election

i checked the car (couple bumps on the side, not too bad, ~ 1000$ damage) and it dawned on me, Ha! PW JMCC's 'snowflakes' so i took a picture w my iPhone

I decided to upload this in the morning and named it 'Hillary Snowflake' as i thought what best example can i give JMCC to show that whatever he thinks he is just having fun sharing [politics as entertainment] other people here in the US are actually taking action on it

Page 11 of 149 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast