Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,831

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Only saw this now, seems there was a motion at this evenings Dublin City Council meeting to overturn the July Council decision to make O'Devaney Gardens public mixed income housing in total public control and ownership. I hope the wavering councilors found the courage to face down Minister Simon Coveney.


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    4,780

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Interesting piece on both this and the whole O'Deveney Gardens situation in the latest Look Left magazine. It's still the best solution to the housing crisis I have seen.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Tbh, I don't agree with it, housing should be a mix of public and private in my view.

    They are basically calling for a 'super-NAMA' unless I read them incorrectly.
    100 % mate.... were savin for our own place and id be fair thick if we had to get a morgage and then the council gave the place next door to some **** that never worked a day in his life!!!!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    4,780

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    100 % mate.... were savin for our own place and id be fair thick if we had to get a morgage and then the council gave the place next door to some **** that never worked a day in his life!!!!
    I'd be raging if I had to live next to a snob with ignorant preconceived notions about those who live in social housing.

    (The reality is that in decades to come very few people will be able to save for a mortgage because it will all go on extortionate rent paid to private landlords)
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    If the figures are kosher, it is an interesting proposal. I find it a bit optimistic let's say to believe there are so many people with incomes over €34,932 living in social housing here . If it is only party true it should help a bit even, but we are living in a neo-liberal age and need to be aware of exactly what is happening elsewhere and get used to realising we have to argue these things increasingly from basic principles as social democracy continues to decline elsewhere

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,249

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Back in the 19th century Engels wrote "the Housing Question" in which he prised apart the mechanics of the capitalist system to show that ordinary workers could never afford decent housing.
    Social housing - the only way that people on workes incomes would get decent housing - was a one of the gains won by building powerful trade union organisations, workers parties and by the fear put into capitalists by the Russian Revolution.
    If we want social housing, we will have to organise, and fight for it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    4,780

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Back in the 19th century Engels wrote "the Housing Question" in which he prised apart the mechanics of the capitalist system to show that ordinary workers could never afford decent housing.
    Social housing - the only way that people on workes incomes would get decent housing - was a one of the gains won by building powerful trade union organisations, workers parties and by the fear put into capitalists by the Russian Revolution.
    If we want social housing, we will have to organise, and fight for it.
    The below book is a very good for a more modern take on housing which builds on Engels.

    https://www.versobooks.com/books/211...nse-of-housing
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    I'd be raging if I had to live next to a snob with ignorant preconceived notions about those who live in social housing.

    (The reality is that in decades to come very few people will be able to save for a mortgage because it will all go on extortionate rent paid to private landlords)
    not been a snob atall mate but theres some fierce knackers get council houses and rent assist.... sometimes i do work for a lad that rents flats and you would not believe the state some of them leave a place in.... 1 time i even had to take up a carpet with a shovel....

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,249

    Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    The below book is a very good for a more modern take on housing which builds on Engels.

    https://www.versobooks.com/books/211...nse-of-housing
    Looks interesting. Thanks.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us