Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

Default Re: Solidarity Housing Proprosal

Only saw this now, seems there was a motion at this evenings Dublin City Council meeting to overturn the July Council decision to make O'Devaney Gardens public mixed income housing in total public control and ownership. I hope the wavering councilors found the courage to face down Minister Simon Coveney.

Interesting piece on both this and the whole O'Deveney Gardens situation in the latest Look Left magazine. It's still the best solution to the housing crisis I have seen.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Tbh, I don't agree with it, housing should be a mix of public and private in my view.

They are basically calling for a 'super-NAMA' unless I read them incorrectly.
    100 % mate.... were savin for our own place and id be fair thick if we had to get a morgage and then the council gave the place next door to some **** that never worked a day in his life!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    100 % mate.... were savin for our own place and id be fair thick if we had to get a morgage and then the council gave the place next door to some **** that never worked a day in his life!!!!
    I'd be raging if I had to live next to a snob with ignorant preconceived notions about those who live in social housing.

(The reality is that in decades to come very few people will be able to save for a mortgage because it will all go on extortionate rent paid to private landlords)

If the figures are kosher, it is an interesting proposal. I find it a bit optimistic let's say to believe there are so many people with incomes over €34,932 living in social housing here . If it is only party true it should help a bit even, but we are living in a neo-liberal age and need to be aware of exactly what is happening elsewhere and get used to realising we have to argue these things increasingly from basic principles as social democracy continues to decline elsewhere

Back in the 19th century Engels wrote "the Housing Question" in which he prised apart the mechanics of the capitalist system to show that ordinary workers could never afford decent housing.
    Social housing - the only way that people on workes incomes would get decent housing - was a one of the gains won by building powerful trade union organisations, workers parties and by the fear put into capitalists by the Russian Revolution.
    If we want social housing, we will have to organise, and fight for it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Back in the 19th century Engels wrote "the Housing Question" in which he prised apart the mechanics of the capitalist system to show that ordinary workers could never afford decent housing.
    Social housing - the only way that people on workes incomes would get decent housing - was a one of the gains won by building powerful trade union organisations, workers parties and by the fear put into capitalists by the Russian Revolution.
    If we want social housing, we will have to organise, and fight for it.
    The below book is a very good for a more modern take on housing which builds on Engels.

https://www.versobooks.com/books/211...nse-of-housing

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    I'd be raging if I had to live next to a snob with ignorant preconceived notions about those who live in social housing.

(The reality is that in decades to come very few people will be able to save for a mortgage because it will all go on extortionate rent paid to private landlords)
    not been a snob atall mate but theres some fierce knackers get council houses and rent assist.... sometimes i do work for a lad that rents flats and you would not believe the state some of them leave a place in.... 1 time i even had to take up a carpet with a shovel....

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    The below book is a very good for a more modern take on housing which builds on Engels.

https://www.versobooks.com/books/211...nse-of-housing
    Looks interesting. Thanks.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12