Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Brexit Britain

Default Re: Post Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    The date at the bottom of this piece is June 24, the day after...........China says UK will need 500 negotiators and ten years..........

China laughs at Britain's hope to negotiate quick free trade deal ...

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/06/24/ch...t_response.php
    Yes, this story brought home the complexity involved in unscrambling an egg.

It seems likely that the Whitehall Mandarins will be trying to devise a Brexit that is not a Brexit.

I wonder how Teresa May will try to divert the public's attention from this ? Any thoughts ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I hope so. I favour a deal for 32 county reunification combined with return to the Commonwealth (provided no joining NATO).
    If there was reunification then there would be no need to be in a Commonwealth too.

And no capacity to make any independent decision about joining NATO or anything else.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...for-first-time

http://www.factcheckni.org/facts/wou...toms-frontier/

The EU might as well put a closing down sign up if they allow the UK the kind of access it wants, because that would start a contagion of exit demands in EU countries. Free movement of EU citizens is the killer for the UK, if the UK have to sign up for that then their citizens will be mightily peed off at the Tories.

The border thing will be a rolling chain of external events that'll either increasingly reinforce the concept that the existing status quo in NI has ceased to exist ( such as a customs border with the south ) or things will progress smoothly and NI will stay satisfied.

Much will depend on how much London will put into holding Scotland and ensuring a Brexit lite. An ugly divorce type Brexit will set minds spinning in NI and a UK recession with many more English Tory cutbacks for NI would activate a sleeping electorate.

As regards Enda and the border speech, who knows what motivated him, maybe keeping up with Mickey Martin's border speech, maybe the Germans and French have sent a mischievous keep NI in the EU possibility to send a message to the UK re Scotland if the UK gets snippy in negotiations. Ye can't trust that Enda or Micheal are just exercising nationalist tendencies without outside prompting. The UK is not yet finished with the ROI and has been putting the arm around us for some unknown reason long before a Brexit was probable.
    Well, Theresa May has made it clear that she is not interested in an open border with the EU in Ireland. If the UK puts its arm around Ireland, you can be sure it is a stranglehold. She probably expects Ireland to be out of the EU in 5 years, in so far as she's bothered.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I wonder how Teresa May will try to divert the public's attention from this ? Any thoughts ?
    She will have no problem as long as the supine Irish media offer such gems as reporting that Kenny is the first leader to visit her. I know if is silly season but such pathetic, slavish, rehash of Merrion St handouts.
    I will say it again, when will we have the courage to be Europeans, not UK lackies?

gojam
    ‏@gojam_i_am

@theresa_may & Enda Kerry meet - "Common approach to passenger data" sounded intriguing and is bound to be missed as MSM focus on CTA
    Ignoring the shpelling mistake, I think this tweeter picked up on something interesting.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

If there was reunification then there would be no need to be in a Commonwealth too.
    I meant as a concession to Unionist opinion to help get the vote over the line. We are constantly being told that there is no point in holding a referendum as it would not get a majority in the Six Counties. I think it would be interesting to see if re-joining Commonwealth would help as a confidence-building move for Unionist voters.

And no capacity to make any independent decision about joining NATO or anything else.
    There is no such capacity to make such independent decisions as things stand. That has nothing got to do with the Commonwealth though.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Yes, this story brought home the complexity involved in unscrambling an egg.

It seems likely that the Whitehall Mandarins will be trying to devise a Brexit that is not a Brexit.

She doesn't need to. She has appointed Brexiters to the key Brexit posts. It's their hot potato now, so if/when they f.**** up it's not on her!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fe...Species_(poem)

Ignoring the shpelling mistake, I think this tweeter picked up on something interesting.
    Doesn't this mean that both Ireland and UK will continue to toady to the CIA/US and hand the data over ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I meant as a concession to Unionist opinion to help get the vote over the line. We are constantly being told that there is no point in holding a referendum as it would not get a majority in the Six Counties. I think it would be interesting to see if re-joining Commonwealth would help as a confidence-building move for Unionist voters.

There is no such capacity to make such independent decisions as things stand. That has nothing got to do with the Commonwealth though.
    Surely no State can be compelled to join NATO ?

Interesting, a United Ireland within the UK/ sorry / Commonwealth. The devil would be in the detail.

Sadly, we are not in the days where we could do that and then ring up TM from Canada and tell her we have opted out of the latter, after all.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Doesn't this mean that both Ireland and UK will continue to toady to the CIA/US and hand the data over ?
    If that is your view, then can you present an alternative strategic plan for Ireland as an independent nation?

Surely no State can be compelled to join NATO ?
    I don't understand the question. To me, NATO is an outdated idea. If you want my view, I think we should have gotten sensible and joined NATO decades ago, but given that we didn't, certainly not now. Every country should assess threats and opportunities in its own interests. Given that we didn't join NATO in the past, that turned out ok, on balance and we shouldn't now, IMHO.

My idea is for a union of north western European states - Ireland, Britain, the Scandinavians, maybe bring in Denmark and Iceland and Holland. I'd grant it's a mildly eccentric idea, but as Fintan O'Toole suggests in a recent column we live in strange times.

Interesting, a United Ireland within the UK/ sorry / Commonwealth. The devil would be in the detail.
    The devil is always in the detail, that's how geo-politics and international agreements work. It's probably part of the reason why we've had (relative) peace since 1945. Particularly for small windswept islands off the coasts of slightly larger islands that apparently used to run an empire....

Sadly, we are not in the days where we could do that and then ring up TM from Canada and tell her we have opted out of the latter, after all.
    We never could.
    Last edited by pluralist; 29-07-2016 at 09:37 AM.

No chance in hell of an alternative or subset of the EU. Fintan is (very unlike him) dreaming. Let us not mix up passenger data, NATO, etc., with post Brexit. We have passenger data 'cos US airlines have to have it under patriot act, no political chance of that being refused. OTOH, less than or partial control of free movement internally is now.too expensive to implement, so, fudge seeking is the name of the game.

She doesn't need to. She has appointed Brexiters to the key Brexit posts. It's their hot potato now, so if/when they f.**** up it's not on her!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fe...Species_(poem)

She could well sink in the mire of her own making.

This is a bigger game than internal Tory politics.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The arrival of the Troika and the theft of 64 Billion from the people of Ireland made Cromwell's sojourn in Ireland look like a picnic. The EU is nothing more than camoflage for German domination..... I'm no UK lackey ..... neither am I an EU lackey.... although there is a lot of them about. We didn't spend a thousand years fighting the British only to settle for slavery under the German jackboot .. fascists in 1914....... fascists in 1939.... and fascists today...... It's in their DNA
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    The arrival of the Troika and the theft of 64 Billion from the people of Ireland made Cromwell's sojourn in Ireland look like a picnic. The EU is nothing more than camoflage for German domination..... I'm no UK lackey ..... neither am I an EU lackey.... although there is a lot of them about. We didn't spend a thousand years fighting the British only to settle for slavery under the German jackboot .. fascists in 1914....... fascists in 1939.... and fascists today...... It's in their DNA
    I think that's over the top to be honest. I am no great Europhile but I have always had the impression that the Germans have learned from their history, barring the odd neo-Nazi nutter.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast