Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Brexit Britain

Default Re: Post Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Can't find anything in the Sunday Times on this, did you mean the Observer?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ondon-homeless
    Apologies, it is in today's Observer.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

No worries, I'm just very mildly p.eed-off that I've done what I rarely do these days and given Mr Murdoch €3 of my hard-earned.

I assume this is the piece, the earlier link is Sadiq Khan's commentary:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-survey-evolve
    Last edited by pluralist; 17-07-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I doubt it.
    I think people deserve a little more respect than a 3 word put down?

Why do you doubt it? Look at the massive inequality and the coming recession there.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    I think people deserve a little more respect than a 3 word put down?

Why do you doubt it? Look at the massive inequality and the coming recession there.

Ok. I'll try an elongated version of 'I doubt it'.

When you speak of massive inequality in Britain, I know you are correct.

When you speak of coming recession there, while the numbers are not yet in, I think you are almost certainly correct. I would be surprised if there is not a serious and significant recession in the UK. I hope that it is not too severe. I hope that it is not too severe partially because I am well aware that Tory/(Lib Dem) policies have already and very directly caused the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands.

Yes, it's true that, as Paul Weller put it 30 years ago, "the class war is real and not mythologised". That much is clear to me, and from what I've read of your posts on here, it's clear to you also, and I think it's clear to most semi-intelligent people that don't have vested interests in the 1%'ers and the FIRE economy and their well-financed media interests.

But, also, most of the revolutionary 'solutions' that have been tried in the past don't seem to have worked, or when they have almost worked, have caused massive loss of life. And that's not something I can go along with.

When I see people that claim to be on the left go along with the likes of Merkel's or indeed Peter Sutherland's or Bono's well-financed policy and propaganda to further increase massive inwards immigration into Europe (a policy which - very clearly and obviously - feeds into massive downward pressure on wages for the 99%), because, you know, it's 'racist' not to do so, I just think, wow. I think, what's WRONG with you people (I don't mean you personally, obviously, I just mean a lot of people that claim to be on the left or of the left that fail to draw obvious conclusions from mass immigration policies - or if they do draw the obvious conclusions, they deny the logic that is in their own heads and fail to state so publicly - because, in my view, of a fear they have of being accused of racism).

If you are prepared to honestly debate the issues, then it's potentially plausible that we could have, if not a meeting of minds, then at least, a more or less honest debate. But if you are part of the hippie-wonderland 'open the borders' club, then, it's perhaps less likely.
    Last edited by pluralist; 19-07-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Did someone mention recession? Guardian....

IMF cuts UK growth forecasts following Brexit vote
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Did someone mention recession? Guardian....

IMF cuts UK growth forecasts following Brexit vote
    What's the IMF track record in predictions ?

Also, growth is not everything. If what grows is the movable feast of corporate profits (as here in Ireland) and what shrinks is the income and living standard of ordinary citizens, then I'm not bothered about it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Maybe the thread should say Post Brexit UK rather than Post Brexit Britain?

Northern Ireland is likely to end up being the most shook up part of the UK after a Brexit. The status quo of CNRs often not bothering to vote or voting for neutral parties in elections may abruptly come to an end as a Post Brexit NI leaves them stuck in a Little Britain scenario where they will no longer be part of the same superstate as the Republic. Where once they could have the best of both worlds re no border between North and South and peace and stability while having full access to the Single Market, Farm Subsidies, Erasmus programmes and free movement throughout the EU. Post Brexit there'll have to be a customs border between North and South and they'll be isolated from the EU and to a lesser extent the ROI.

That's a recipe for CNR/Neutrals unhappiness with the future status quo in NI.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Maybe the thread should say Post Brexit UK rather than Post Brexit Britain?

Northern Ireland is likely to end up being the most shook up part of the UK after a Brexit. The status quo of CNRs often not bothering to vote or voting for neutral parties in elections may abruptly come to an end as a Post Brexit NI leaves them stuck in a Little Britain scenario where they will no longer be part of the same superstate as the Republic. Where once they could have the best of both worlds re no border between North and South and peace and stability while having full access to the Single Market, Farm Subsidies, Erasmus programmes and free movement throughout the EU. Post Brexit there'll have to be a customs border between North and South and they'll be isolated from the EU and to a lesser extent the ROI.

That's a recipe for CNR/Neutrals unhappiness with the future status quo in NI.
    Will the U.K. most likely not go for the Single Market option ? That seems to be the talk.

What will be the killer will be the inevitable border.

Which is why Enda is now rooting for a United Ireland, presumably as part of some kind of Commonwealth scenario?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Which is why Enda is now rooting for a United Ireland, presumably as part of some kind of Commonwealth scenario?

I hope so. I favour a deal for 32 county reunification combined with return to the Commonwealth (provided no joining NATO).

Apart from the slagging, this thread would seem to indicate we have no clue what post B will be, anywhere.

The IMF shuffles the cards, again, the Euro group is bogged down, Inda is waffling, as usual, and we have no housing for the thousands of bookies and spivs from London who will soon arrive in the IFSC.

Now, what will happen? Take yer pick from the following.

No article 50 before 1.1.2017.
    No reduction in export of Mercs and Beamers to UK.
    UK still needs Polish plumbers, so, a selective immigration policy will replace free movement.
    NI/RoI border will remain open, EU will pay for supposed increased surveillance in Rosslare and Dublin Airport....
    UK agriculture will implement less food production controls, even more sh*te burgers will be sold by Larry G.
    Our recent 220 million increase in EU contribution will go up even more, to pay for UK reduction, to be compensated by more money for farmers (todays news already), s long as Hogan is in post.
    Our tax efficient arrangements for multi-nationals will be watered down, compensated by less supervision.

Will the U.K. most likely not go for the Single Market option ? That seems to be the talk.

When SF mooted the idea immediately after the UK referendum result I remember Matt Carthy being shot down with some venom by a FFer and to a lesser degree of venom by a Fger on a radio one panel. Now Gombeen Martin and gombeen eile Enda basically coming to terms with the idea. Though yes, I'd say FG would only love us to go grovelling back for Commonwealth status.

Donald Tusk, the EU council president, added that the leaders had made it “crystal clear” that access to the single market “requires acceptance of all four EU freedoms – including freedom of movement

There can be no single market à la carte.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...for-first-time

http://www.factcheckni.org/facts/wou...toms-frontier/

The EU might as well put a closing down sign up if they allow the UK the kind of access it wants, because that would start a contagion of exit demands in EU countries. Free movement of EU citizens is the killer for the UK, if the UK have to sign up for that then their citizens will be mightily peed off at the Tories.

The border thing will be a rolling chain of external events that'll either increasingly reinforce the concept that the existing status quo in NI has ceased to exist ( such as a customs border with the south ) or things will progress smoothly and NI will stay satisfied.

Much will depend on how much London will put into holding Scotland and ensuring a Brexit lite. An ugly divorce type Brexit will set minds spinning in NI and a UK recession with many more English Tory cutbacks for NI would activate a sleeping electorate.

As regards Enda and the border speech, who knows what motivated him, maybe keeping up with Mickey Martin's border speech, maybe the Germans and French have sent a mischievous keep NI in the EU possibility to send a message to the UK re Scotland if the UK gets snippy in negotiations. Ye can't trust that Enda or Micheal are just exercising nationalist tendencies without outside prompting. The UK is not yet finished with the ROI and has been putting the arm around us for some unknown reason long before a Brexit was probable.
    Last edited by Shaadi; 21-07-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Hammond Says U.K. Exploring Free-Trade Deal With China: BBC
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

The date at the bottom of this piece is June 24, the day after...........China says UK will need 500 negotiators and ten years..........

China laughs at Britain's hope to negotiate quick free trade deal ...

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/06/24/ch...t_response.php
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast