Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Post Brexit Britain

Default Re: Post Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    The UK will not have the same access to the EU market as Ireland and cannot - it has repeatedly been said - cherry-pick.

Another warning re. May's proposal for highly selective immigration from the EU to UK - it will be reciprocated by the EU:

UK nationals would suffer under skills-based immigration, EU tells Javid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-tories-brexit

(Can we expect further optimistic but groundless UK forecasts for the weekend?)
    Interesting. I have been wondering how the "common travel area" berween us and the UK can work after a "real" brexit. If UK citizens can travel to and from RoI without a visa after brexit, can they work here? Can they "immigrate" to RoI? How does that square with a post brexit change of immigration policy between UK and EU?

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Interesting. I have been wondering how the "common travel area" berween us and the UK can work after a "real" brexit. If UK citizens can travel to and from RoI without a visa after brexit, can they work here? Can they "immigrate" to RoI? How does that square with a post brexit change of immigration policy between UK and EU?
    I don't know the answers but I fear the issue may not have been considered at all - the relationship with the Republic doesn't appear to warrant any consideration - just vague and groundless assurances whenever it is raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    I don't know the answers but I fear the issue may not have been considered at all - the relationship with the Republic doesn't appear to warrant any consideration - just vague and groundless assurances whenever it is raised.
    Yes, I get the impression that the common travel thing is to be part of the inevitable fudge. If brexit is nasty then it could be problematic. Bizarre really, since it was only introduced as a means of avoiding issuing passports to the Irish in the UK in the 1920s.

the fudge could be to allow it as we are not in Schengen

ergo Brits coming here will still need a passport to get onto the Continent

But we are not in Schengen as the Brits did not join. Could we join post BREXIT?
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    the fudge could be to allow it as we are not in Schengen

ergo Brits coming here will still need a passport to get onto the Continent

But we are not in Schengen as the Brits did not join. Could we join post BREXIT?
    I would like to think we would join Schengen, post Brexit, of only to make the points that this chi no longer relies on the UK, and, that we see our future as part of the European project.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    I would like to think we would join Schengen, post Brexit, of only to make the points that this chi no longer relies on the UK, and, that we see our future as part of the European project.
    I'd agree that would send out the right signals. Just saying: If Iceland is a member of the Schengen cooperation and they are not even in the EU], then why not Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Currently there are over 100,000 UK citizens live in Ireland and of course more work here, travelling across the border each day. Many of those resident would have Irish spouses/children. But of course we voted to be able to kick out the parents of Irish born children a while back. There have been repeated assurances in the press that legal rights will remain the same for migrants in both directions. Given the insanity of the situation, I don't think it would be wise to bank on that.

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Shouldn't it read "should..."??

I have argued many times and in many places that we should have joined long ago. Our craven attitude which kept us out since the Brits would not will have to change post whatever type of brrxit we get. The Brits will, for political reasons, change the immigration rules, even if Corbyn wins hands down.

Then we will have to deal with issues like service men coming in from UK to maintain equipment??

Jeremy Hunt 'Misjudged' Brexiteer Tories With 'Toe Curling' EU/USSR Comparison

Foreign secretary made incendiary claim during party conference speech

“The lesson from history is clear: if you turn the EU club into a prison, the desire to get out won’t diminish it will grow and we won’t be the only prisoner that will want to escape.”

In his speech, Hunt also said the EU should “never mistake British politeness for British weakness”.

“Because if you put a country like Britain in a corner, we don’t crumble. We fight,” the foreign secretary said.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...uTX6ZyaIGC4mUw

Does anyone think that opportunistic British politicians could continue to get up to all sorts of sham wars with the EU post-Brexit. There's nothing under fire politicians like more than a scapegoat/distraction.

How far could they go, boarding and arresting EU/Irish Boats etc? Post-Brexit shenanigans would be an opportunity sent from heaven for the "GOTCHA" headline writers

Will the Brexiteers hoopla carry on for the next decade?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910