Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Waste the New Water ? A Political Mess

Default Re: Is Waste the New Water ? A Political Mess

Civil servants which wasn't surprising in the least re bins. Three bins might be more confusing to a tenant like myself.However colours helped to differentiate. As regards to billing : i got a bill which includes water, bins and house = poll tax which is neater and less paperwork etc.

Since moved abroad which gave me a different perspective to Ireland. One thing is clear that FFFG don't give a damn about people as their taxes re pay is somewhere 4th to 5th highest in Europe. Huge problems for firms who want to move re brexit especially firms from London - Canary wharf firms.

What was noticeable when i came back to Ireland on occasions - huge rip off re hotels which implies that hotels have huge debts hence high prices in comparison to Europe especially Dublin. Dublin approx € 200 per night (peak) in contrast to Berlin €60 quite close to centre.Mind boggling indeed.

Also in third level education, TCD/UCD in Dublin whose fees is highly inflated which is a huge rip off and in addition to that, high rental accommodation costs as well. Do they think we are rich??? No guarantee of jobs if graduated which put a huge question mark on these uni's.

Britain and Germany whose fees was way lower and more quality teaching to ours which leaves me wondering as regards to the state of education sector. Discussed it with a guy back home as his father said something like " Ireland is a rogue country " to that effect. Is there any truth in that??

Anyway, back to bins, need to see bin firm's accounts displayed more openly cos most bin's accounts are in off shore accounts like isle of man or Jersey - quite difficult to see it. Hard to know what are their profits, taxes so on etc. Noticed that county councils stopped bins as private bin firms take over. A slippery slope to American style system - nothing is free for lunch etc in comparison to UK and Europe.

Could see another crash coming here re recession as debts payments is due for next three years.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    Civil servants which wasn't surprising in the least re bins. Three bins might be more confusing to a tenant like myself.However colours helped to differentiate. As regards to billing : i got a bill which includes water, bins and house = poll tax which is neater and less paperwork etc.

Since moved abroad which gave me a different perspective to Ireland. One thing is clear that FFFG don't give a damn about people as their taxes re pay is somewhere 4th to 5th highest in Europe. Huge problems for firms who want to move re brexit especially firms from London - Canary wharf firms.

What was noticeable when i came back to Ireland on occasions - huge rip off re hotels which implies that hotels have huge debts hence high prices in comparison to Europe especially Dublin. Dublin approx € 200 per night (peak) in contrast to Berlin €60 quite close to centre.Mind boggling indeed.

Also in third level education, TCD/UCD in Dublin whose fees is highly inflated which is a huge rip off and in addition to that, high rental accommodation costs as well. Do they think we are rich??? No guarantee of jobs if graduated which put a huge question mark on these uni's.

Britain and Germany whose fees was way lower and more quality teaching to ours which leaves me wondering as regards to the state of education sector. Discussed it with a guy back home as his father said something like " Ireland is a rogue country " to that effect. Is there any truth in that??

Anyway, back to bins, need to see bin firm's accounts displayed more openly cos most bin's accounts are in off shore accounts like isle of man or Jersey - quite difficult to see it. Hard to know what are their profits, taxes so on etc. Noticed that county councils stopped bins as private bin firms take over. A slippery slope to American style system - nothing is free for lunch etc in comparison to UK and Europe.

Could see another crash coming here re recession as debts payments is due for next three years.
    Good to hear from you, DS, and an interesting post.

"Ireland a rogue country" - yes to some extent. I think that Ireland's gombeen / post colonial culture meshes perfectly with international neo liberalisation (so called 'austerity', which is anything but austere for the rich). It includes some poor educational services and high prices.

I agree with you too that the Irish economy is hugely vulnerable to a crash due to the very high level of personal and state debt per capita. Highest in the world ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Good to hear from you, DS, and an interesting post.

"Ireland a rogue country" - yes to some extent. I think that Ireland's gombeen / post colonial culture meshes perfectly with international neo liberalisation (so called 'austerity', which is anything but austere for the rich). It includes some poor educational services and high prices.

I agree with you too that the Irish economy is hugely vulnerable to a crash due to the very high level of personal and state debt per capita. Highest in the world ?
    CF, what do you mean by post colonial culture ?

Govt here and others measure GDP in regards to debt ratio etc but that isn't right metric.

Cos GNP is the true state of metric in Ireland cos of huge numbers of multi national firms which distorts the GDP picture.

Also the inflation has been creeping back slowly which is affecting the prices here. That said, it will affect debt interest repayments for Ireland in next three years with govt finances not great. Think debt repayment of some 50BN for 2018-2021 is due as im not sure if it's each year or sum for 2018-2021. Then after that, next biggest debt repayment is 2031-2034.

Most of the employment taxes in Ireland came from low paid employment and also high taxes as well with something like 38,400 at 40% where as in Uk it's 50K or more at 40%, in Germany 54K at 40% etc as i don't have the data here. It just highlights a major problem for most emigrants who plan to return etc in regards to personal taxation rate and also hidden indirect taxations such as bins, house tax, water, vat et al.

Britain and Germany whose fees was way lower and more quality teaching to ours which leaves me wondering as regards to the state of education sector. Discussed it with a guy back home as his father said something like " Ireland is a rogue country " to that effect. Is there any truth in that.
    Britain's fees are no longer way lower. As for quality teaching, it depends on the university. Some UK unis are excellent, some are worse than the worst of the Irish ones.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Also i forgot to mention is car insurance in Ireland which rocketed sky high.Not only this but rental houses,hidden cost of living rose as well.Heard a teacher who couldn't afford to rent a room despite teacher pay - slept in car instead which had shocked the principal of the school in Dublin.

Friend told me of his car insurance problem with AXA for years 15 years worth of loyalty.Then this year AXA told him that his car insurance risen to €900 even with his no claim bonuses. His last year insurance was something around €700.

He was outraged at the rise, loyalty of AXA beggers belief. He is not the only one out there as there are scores of people in similar positions re sky high car price insurance for what? Cartel re raid last week as i would suspect cartel somewhere there.

Told me that if he leave AXA as he could lose his no claim bonuses,which was quite ridiculous and some sort of extortion hold on him etc. Anyway he is looking around and planning to leave AXA (not worth it).

Not only that, i have heard stories of people returning and charged a full whack of car insurance something like 4K as opposed to his old price under 1K prior to emigration.

That's FFFG for you as why did you vote for them in the first place??

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Britain's fees are no longer way lower. As for quality teaching, it depends on the university. Some UK unis are excellent, some are worse than the worst of the Irish ones.
    Not all of them , top 5 uni's in UK are quite expensive as others outside top ten's were bit cheaper than TCD or UCD which i was surprised due to improved exchange currency rate, which made it cheaper. Also cost of living is cheaper than Ireland in some places not all places.

When you say some are worse than worst of the Irish ones (Institute of technologies)?? which ones? if you mean bottom end of uni's in UK, if so, that wouldn't be surprising.

[QUOTE]
    CF, what do you mean by post colonial culture ?
    Deeply held attitudes in government, upper civil service, establishment, that Ireland is a milk cow to be milked, not a sovereign state whose people they serve.
    Govt here and others measure GDP in regards to debt ratio etc but that isn't right metric.Cos GNP is the true state of metric in Ireland cos of huge numbers of multi national firms which distorts the GDP picture.
    I agree - but even if you look at personal debt and debt in relation to GDP it is scary. Compared with GNP it is beyond scary.

Also the inflation has been creeping back slowly which is affecting the prices here. That said, it will affect debt interest repayments for Ireland in next three years with govt finances not great. Think debt repayment of some 50BN for 2018-2021 is due as im not sure if it's each year or sum for 2018-2021. Then after that, next biggest debt repayment is 2031-2034.

Most of the employment taxes in Ireland came from low paid employment and also high taxes as well with something like 38,400 at 40% where as in Uk it's 50K or more at 40%, in Germany 54K at 40% etc as i don't have the data here. It just highlights a major problem for most emigrants who plan to return etc in regards to personal taxation rate and also hidden indirect taxations such as bins, house tax, water, vat et al.
    Real inflation would help with the debt, as it would effectively shrink.

It is made as hard as possible for emigrants to return, which is crazy as construction workers, nurses etc. are desperately needed.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Deeply held attitudes in government, upper civil service, establishment, that Ireland is a milk cow to be milked, not a sovereign state whose people they serve.
    Thanks for that as i understand it now. Why do the electorate keep voting for FFFG as it doesn't make sense?? Last election i voted for SF for the first time as i was disgusted with FG govt that time & still do now. They don't have Ireland's interests at heart frankly just selling their mother's soul.

I agree - but even if you look at personal debt and debt in relation to GDP it is scary. Compared with GNP it is beyond scary.
    Haven't looked at personal debt and debt to GDP (dodgy metric), i see re beyond scary which doesn't look good if the inflation is to rise.

Real inflation would help with the debt, as it would effectively shrink.
    Real inflation is gone as ECB's QE is pushing the inflation back to where it was before. Now of last week, they are signalling that QE is to be pulled out as a sign that inflation is on the rise.

It is made as hard as possible for emigrants to return, which is crazy as construction workers, nurses etc. are desperately needed.

Yes FFFG govt made it quadruple harder for emigrants to return and they don't care about emigrants quite frankly except for their pensions secured for lifetime.

Saw ex FF minister Batt o Keeffe in the train station as nobody wants to know him. Same could be said for some ex ministers of previous govt for instance Howlin in Wexford.

Social media and education/information to the electorate re govt previous and present policies could be the way to defeat FFFG in next election.
    Last edited by disability student; 07-07-2017 at 05:18 PM.

youre 100 % right about hotels mate.... rip off the customers and ride the staff as well.... shower of ***** every 1 of them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12