Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Waste the New Water ? A Political Mess

Default Is Waste the New Water ? A Political Mess

I am beginning to get the impression not so much of a Government that isn't functioning as a government and more of a Civil Service that has lost the will to function at all. The Civil Service will have done most of the work on the current waste proposals, no doubt with the aid of highly paid and insufficiently scrutinised consultants.

The waste fiasco has not even started yet.

In Civil-Service-land, everyone has a front yard and a few hundred ready to pay rent for 3 bins. Somehow or other, more bins is supposed to mean less waste.
    Ultimately, the goal seems to be that we should all achieve zero waste and have 3 empty bins for which we pay a small fortune to have not collected.

In Civil-Service-land, no one is using the buy a bag system, or if they are, it is a matter of whimsy not need.

The bag system involves paying by bulk, rather than weight, although the two are of course related. It enables people to pay in accordance with the amount of waste they produce. So of course, it is being stopped.

In Counties outside Dublin, the numbers of households using bins are around 50% of the total.

As yet, I've head no figures for the percentage using bags. These are the people in the main who produce less waste, and live in apartments and terraced houses. Nothing about their circumstances will change come July 1st except, if they have a car, they may start driving their waste to one of the legal dumps.
    If not, it may pile up in the back garden or be discretely dropped in the Liffey or wherever.

Happy times ahead !

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...ic_refuse.html
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Is Waste the New Water ? A Political Mess

A Greyhound operative came to my door and told me that I am required by Law to be signed up to Waste company...... is this true......... and can someone here point me to the Law concerned?
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    A Greyhound operative came to my door and told me that I am required by Law to be signed up to Waste company...... is this true......... and can someone here point me to the Law concerned?
    No, it isn't true, so far as I can see. The link in my post to Citizensinformation.ie has the low down.

If you live in a terrace or apartment and haven't a place for bins, you can ring the Council and ask them to allow your street to use bags.

However, I've discovered this afternoon that at least some Local Authorities are very keen that everyone should be 'signed up' with an operator, even if they are using bags. The implication was that if you do not sign up you may be harassed by the Council enforcement officers for being under suspicion of illegal dumping.

In other words, if you minimise your waste by composting and not aquring junk and have very little to dispose of (the occasional bag) you may be victimised. If you use the service and can't afford to pay you will be 'enforced'.

It seems not to dawn on Enforcement Officers that the greatest incentive for illegal dumping is the for people with bins who are paying by weight.

The Government idea is that you separate your waste out into three separate categories, and then according to citizensinformation.ie it nearly all gets dumped back together in a land fill site.

Very far from being about waste minimisation, this whole project seems to be about maximisation of waste and profit.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 21-06-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The other side of the waste disposal scam - can I take my packaging back to the supplier / shop ? Can I ****.

Why Join Repak?

The European Union (Packaging) Regulations 2014 and 2015 require that suppliers/producers of packaging and packaged products have a responsibility to fund the recovery of their used packaging.
    What is a Producer?
    A person who, for the purposes of trade or otherwise in the course of business, sells or otherwise supplies to other persons packaging, packaging material or packaged products.
    A major producer is defined as one with a total annual turnover of €1 million or more and which places 10 tonnes or more of packaging and packaged products onto the Irish market.
    Major producers include manufacturers, distributors, packaging manufacturers and convertors, brandholders, importers, retailers and the hospitality sector.
    Producers who meet those thresholds can either self-comply by taking back packaging and registering with their local authority or by joining Repak.
    Repak is a business led compliance scheme licensed by the Irish government to collectively fund recovery and recycling of packaging on behalf of Irish producers.
    By joining Repak, a producer is fully compliant with the legislation, and is not required to take back packaging on their premises for recycling.
    Repak members are also licensed to use the international Green Dot symbol on their packaging.
    Click here for information on Repak membership.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

This nonsense of weighing bags or bins of rubbish is it seems being dropped by government.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I can see your points but in principle I've no issue with having financial incentives for people to recycle. Last year I shared with people who had no interest in recycling and as the two bin bags cost the same didn't bother their arse. Now the recycling bags are much cheaper than the general waste one's and so they have changed their tune.

I know what your saying re how water and waste are managed but the left has got to stop being reactionary when it comes to environmental issues. The Irish left seems to be languishing behind and irrelevant despite us being in an age of global environmental implosion. The fact that these issues have come about mainly come from the capitalist driven consumption society which we live is even more surprising that the left has very little ideas regarding actual sustainability. Shouting general taxation at everything is just not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    I can see your points but in principle I've no issue with having financial incentives for people to recycle. Last year I shared with people who had no interest in recycling and as the two bin bags cost the same didn't bother their arse. Now the recycling bags are much cheaper than the general waste one's and so they have changed their tune.

I know what your saying re how water and waste are managed but the left has got to stop being reactionary when it comes to environmental issues. The Irish left seems to be languishing behind and irrelevant despite us being in an age of global environmental implosion. The fact that these issues have come about mainly come from the capitalist driven consumption society which we live is even more surprising that the left has very little ideas regarding actual sustainability. Shouting general taxation at everything is just not going to work.
    I've no problem with it either - recycling bags were always much cheaper than waste bags around here, but rumour has it that in spite of Government withdrawing pay by weight for waste, the bags will not be available next year - waste collection companies will make more money out of a bins only service.

The left was involved in Rossport, and the left was involved in protecting public access to woodlands, but I agree as yet have not a well worked out programme on the environment (which is not a class issue all that much, as it affects all classes). But then, they have not got a well worked out programme as yet on anything much.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

If it is about profiteering at the expense of public services, yes, waste is the new water.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    In Civil-Service-land, everyone has a front yard and a few hundred ready to pay rent for 3 bins. Somehow or other, more bins is supposed to mean less waste.

"In senior-Civil-Service land": the Civil Service ranges from people getting paid €21k to people on €190k.

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    tell him to **** off with himself mate you dont have to signup with any of the ***** youre entitle to bring it to the landfill yourself if you want!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceannaire View Post

"In senior-Civil-Service land": the Civil Service ranges from people getting paid €21k to people on €190k.
    Thank you for the reminder.

However I think you will find that the people making the decisions on this - Execs and Environment Officers - would be on at least double the €21000.

I had discussion with one such person who had zero comprehension - was not able to understand - that some people do not have a car and do not have the money to dispose of old white goods for example.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Thank you for the reminder.

However I think you will find that the people making the decisions on this - Execs and Environment Officers - would be on at least double the €21000.

I had discussion with one such person who had zero comprehension - was not able to understand - that some people do not have a car and do not have the money to dispose of old white goods for example.
    mate you dont need money for that.... if you buy a new fridge or a washing machine or any big stuff like that whoever you buy it off is suppose to take away the old 1 thats the law i know i drew away enough of them....

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    mate you dont need money for that.... if you buy a new fridge or a washing machine or any big stuff like that whoever you buy it off is suppose to take away the old 1 thats the law i know i drew away enough of them....
    That works unless you have a second hand one.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

no mate they have to take back whatever you have even if you never got it off of them.... it could of been second hand you could of even stole it they still have to take it....

You pay the tax on purchase so the outlets will take that stuff back. There are also recycling centers which take take certain used goods free.

North Strand Recycling being one!

 Paper / Newspapers / Magazines
     Cardboard / Junk Mail
     Beverage Cartons (e.g. Tetra Pak)
     Glass Bottles and Jars
     Food and Drink Cans
     Plastic Bottles
     Plastic Packaging
     Clothes and Shoes
     Batteries (Domestic and Car)
     Stamps / Books / DVD’s
     Fluorescent Tubes
     Mobile Phones
     Fridge / Freezers
     White Goods (e.g. washing machines, dryers,
    cookers)
     Electronic / IT Equipment / WEEE
     Brown Goods (e.g. TV’s, radios, electrical)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast