Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1917 -2017 The Coming Centenary of the Russian Revolution - Discussions of the Revolution

Default Re: 1917 -2017 The Coming Centenary of the Russian Revolution - Discussions of the Revolution

"If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Default Re: 1917 -2017 The Coming Centenary of the Russian Revolution - Discussions of the Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    A very good call. Yes, I've read it - it's a great book. No longer on my shelves so some sensible person must have expropriated it. I'll order it up. If anyone is interested in discussing it over a few weeks, in book club style, that would be great.

...he wrote Ten Days that Shook the World—wrote it in another ten days and ten nights or little more. He was gaunt, unshaven, greasy-skinned, a stark sleepless half-crazy look on his slightly potato-like face—had come down after a night's work for a cup of coffee.

"Max, don't tell anybody where I am. I'm writing the Russian revolution in a book. I've got all the placards and papers up there in a little room and a Russian dictionary, and I'm working all day and all night. I haven't shut my eyes for thirty-six hours. I'll finish the whole thing in two weeks. And I've got a name for it too—Ten Days that Shook the World. Good-bye, I've got to go get some coffee. Don't for God's sake tell anybody where I am!"
    Do you wonder I emphasize his brains? Not so many feats can be found in American literature to surpass what he did there in those two or three weeks in that little room with those piled-up papers in a half-known tongue, piled clear up to the ceiling, and a small dog-eared dictionary, and a memory, and a determination to get it right, and a gorgeous imagination to paint it when he got it. But what I wanted to comment on now was the unqualified, concentrated joy in his mad eyes that morning. He was doing what he was made to do, writing a great book. And he had a name for it too—Ten Days that Shook the World![6]
    I'd forgotten that Reed died so young, in 1920 - so many great people worn out or wiped out by the demands of those days.

With the greatest interest and with never slackening attention I read John Reed's book, Ten Days that Shook the World. Unreservedly do I recommend it to the workers of the world. Here is a book which I should like to see published in millions of copies and translated into all languages. It gives a truthful and most vivid exposition of the events so significant to the comprehension of what really is the Proletarian Revolution and the Dictatorship of the Proletariat. These problems are widely discussed, but before one can accept or reject these ideas, he must understand the full significance of his decision. John Reed's book will undoubtedly help to clear this question, which is the fundamental problem of the international labor movement.

V. LENIN.
    End of 1919
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    A very good call. Yes, I've read it - it's a great book. No longer on my shelves so some sensible person must have expropriated it. I'll order it up. If anyone is interested in discussing it over a few weeks, in book club style, that would be great.

I'd forgotten that Reed died so young, in 1920 - so many great people worn out or wiped out by the demands of those days.
    I read it years' ago as my father had a copy. Unfortunately it went by the wayside at some point during various house moves.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

I never read that book - I'll have to get a copy for my ebook.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12