Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muhammad Ali

Default Muhammad Ali

One of the iconic men of our time is reported to be near the end of his life.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/othe...family-8110551

Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Default Re: Muhammad Ali

R.I.P Muhammad Ali. I have such great memories of him.

"I float like a Butterfly and Sting like a Bee".

"I am the Elvis of Boxing."

What a character!
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

--Alex MacPherson (@macphersona): "Neil Leifer's shot of Muhammad Ali fighting Cleveland Williams in 1966 is the greatest sports photograph of all time" http://bit.ly/1r6T8lJ
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

A great man.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Ali was sentenced to five year's imprisonment for refusing to fight in Vietnam. He eventually won an appeal to the Supreme Court, but had the sentence, and vilification, hanging over him for years.

"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me nigger, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father... Shoot them for what? ...How can I shoot them poor people, - babies and poor black people? Just take me to jail."

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The book about his fight in Dublin in 1972 is well worth a read ...

https://www.bookdepository.com/Big-F.../9780224091947
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

An insight into Muhammad Ali family life, sad as well as happy times, and the hard ruthless side of American life. From his impoverished son Muhammad Ali Jr.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/26/muhamma...ty-in-chicago/

----------------------

Ali must have been among the most photogenic people ever. Don't think I've ever seen a bad picture of him, well not until the Parkinson's Disease took its toll.

This is an account of how the famous April 1968 Esquire front cover of Muhammad in the same pose as St. Sebastian came about:

http://www.georgelois.com/pages/Esquire/Esq.Ali.html

---------------------

Some more pics:

I should be a postage stamp, because that's the only way I'll ever get licked. I'm beautiful. I'm fast. I'm so mean I make medicine sick. I can't possibly be beat. Muhammad Ali.
    Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...dal643411.html

http://car.post-stamps.com/wp-conten...0/CA14102b.jpg

Listening to Finucane and company reviewing the papers yesterday was quite depressing. Apart from Seamus Mallon nobody seemed to understand Ali's importance. It was all blether about the ugliness of boxing and Parkinson's disease. Ali himself denounced the sport , comparing it unfavourably with Oriental martial arts. Maybe its an age thing? How old is Marion though....she is doing her oh god it's going all political let's go to a break for years now. Anyway thank god for the SDLP man...he educated them.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Listening to Finucane and company reviewing the papers yesterday was quite depressing. Apart from Seamus Mallon nobody seemed to understand Ali's importance. It was all blether about the ugliness of boxing and Parkinson's disease. Ali himself denounced the sport , comparing it unfavourably with Oriental martial arts. Maybe its an age thing? How old is Marion though....she is doing her oh god it's going all political let's go to a break for years now. Anyway thank god for the SDLP man...he educated them.:-)
    Couldn't listen to much but what I heard ignored Ali's political importance. He and the Panthers 'unslaved' black America and were an inspiration globally to oppressed people.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

This is a very good run down on the politics of boxing and Ali's political development.

Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality.… If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years.36

http://www.isreview.org/issues/33/muhammadali.shtml

How did Ali end up backing the war in Afghanistan, and smarmed over by the US establishment ?

Sad. But can in no way wipe out what he achieved when in his full health.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

On an experience at a Southern filling station -

"How come you want me to fight for America and you wont let me go to the toilet ?"

— Jean-Paul Sartre

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Ali's funeral - ironically it seems best covered by Fox News.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Turkish Prez Erdogan along with King Hussein of Jordan were scheduled to attend the funeral. Reportedly, Erdogan turned his flight around after Ali's family refused to allow him to place a Muslin icon on the coffin. He's a piece of work.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Ali said that he believed his illness was a punishment from God for the violence he inflicted on opponents in the boxing ring. I think he said he was specifically uncomfortable with the 'Ali, boomaye!'chants he encouraged supporters to chant in the 'Rumble in the Jungle' match against George Foreman in Zaire in 1974 (it means, 'Ali, kill him!')

Worth bearing in mind amid the current process of deification. He didn't strike me as someone that would approve of his own deification.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast