Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muhammad Ali

Default Re: Muhammad Ali

Boxing greats Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali and George Foreman appear together on 1980s TV show Wogan, with actress Joanna Lumley standing in for host Terry Wogan.

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Frazier died in November after a brief battle with liver cancer.

Programme broadcast on 18 October 1989.

George Foreman Reacts To The Death Of Muhammad Ali:

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post

George Foreman Reacts To The Death Of Muhammad Ali:

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Rest In Peace.

To be honest, sad to hear Mohammed Ali slurring his words, with slowed speech, when earlier he would have out-talked anyone on the set by a mile

Also, it is a shame to see an interview that does not acknowledge Ali as a political figure. Foreman was asked about being a preacher.

Ali said that the "I'm the Greatest" line was "just publicity, not what I think".

Modest as well as the rest of it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Ali said that he believed his illness was a punishment from God for the violence he inflicted on opponents in the boxing ring. I think he said he was specifically uncomfortable with the 'Ali, boomaye!'chants he encouraged supporters to chant in the 'Rumble in the Jungle' match against George Foreman in Zaire in 1974 (it means, 'Ali, kill him!')

Worth bearing in mind amid the current process of deification. He didn't strike me as someone that would approve of his own deification.
    On the nail. He went home to live in a small town, where he grew up. There is much to admire in him, but no-one is perfect. Professional boxing I detest as a form of expoitation of the poor. No rich person's child ever went in for it. Spectacles such as boys boxing for the amusement of the wealthy at "charity" events I think are revolting. But I don't blame the boxers for their personal choice: a lot of people don't have any perfect life options laid out in front of themselves.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12