Thread: Minister of State for Health Supports Smokers

Default Minister of State for Health Supports Smokers

The latest oppressed minority seems to be smokers, in Finian McGrath (smoker, no relation) 's view. He wants special areas for smokers in pubs and restaurants, and special consideration for the tender feelings of smokers.

The Carnival of Reaction rocks on!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...kers-1.2648775
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Minister of State for Health Supports Smokers

Minister of State for...what?

Fair play to him.Someone must represent the oppressed farmers of Virginia. Healy Raes will be livid mind you. But they will hit back soon. Legalise poitín? Shoot to kill for landowners maybe? Pesky hill walkers .....

He should be dismissed pronto

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The latest oppressed minority seems to be smokers, in Finian McGrath (smoker, no relation) 's view. He wants special areas for smokers in pubs and restaurants, and special consideration for the tender feelings of smokers.

The Carnival of Reaction rocks on!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...kers-1.2648775
    This isn't some radical idea.

I just want to point out a number of things. I know you just want to have a laugh at McGrath but I found a number of things Simon Harris and one charity on Six One said last night to be far more absurd:

1. The NGO in question said this law saves lives. How exactly? If people went to a pub prior to 2004 they were doing so out of their own free will, full well in the knowledge that this was a passive smoking environment.

2. Yes, the no smoking in offices, public buildings or general places of Business/work is a good law, but what's with the obsession with enforcing it in social environments such as bars, clubs and restaurants?

In light of my 2nd complaint, I would point out it is the norm in Austria, Czech Republic and Poland to have partitions in certain bars, or even allowing bars decide for themselves whether they are smoking, 50-50, or non-smoking.

3. Simon Harris aims to have Ireland smoking-free by 2025. His strategy to do this is to make people smoke outside and to promote even higher Fag prices(Ireland already has by far the highest in the EU bar maybe Scandinavia afaik). On top of this he actually thinks it is possible to have a whole population that does not smoke.

I find more than an element of FG fascism behind the way such anti-social laws are implemented and I am actually in sympathy with McGrath on this one.

On the approach and attitudes towards it: I smoke about 10-12 fags a day myself I will admit, but the laughing at people who smoke is typical of the sneering Irish attitude to some things.

In my own personal and social experience in different places there are many reasons people smoke:

1. Social confidence and staying off the drink. I have some experience here as I have sometimes not had a drink for 2-3 weeks while smoking my normal amount. One man I know who runs a bar in Prague could not have given up the drink without smoking. The classic stereotype is that a smoker often ends up taking hard drugs. In some ways the reverse can be true.

2. To take time off during the day to think about things. To get out of the office for 5 minutes. You can imagine Finian getting pissed off by Noonan or some other Blueshirt prick telling him what to do in his capcity as Minister and doing the same.

3. People who smoke can often have different personalities from people who don't. This is just a general point but it also helps people avoid conflict too.

If you ask me the problem in Ireland is drink and the drink lobby as there is no danger of any politician being bought off by the smoking lobby anymore and I think McGrath has honest intentions in coming out on this. You will never get everyone to stop smoking just by putting fags at 12 euro a pack as I said and we saw how even FG did not listen to the tobacco lobby in recent times.

A general point aimed at the govt and society at home: A relaxing of the smoking ban in certain social outlets would be too moderate and too in line with other EU States (for FG who are naturally Fascist when it comes to social laws and, independently of that, many Irish people whose nature it is to think less of smokers while they themselves get bladdered every Thursday and Friday night).

While smoking means you may die younger, alcohol affects your ability to function and it is a far bigger problem in Ireland, even coming down to insane sick leave rates and how many people you would see in the office hung-over, yet there are no crazy plans to make Ireland 'drink-free' or to 'ban drink in restaurants, clubs etc.' Such a plan, in line with a plan to treble or quadruple the price of drink, would indeed be crazy and do very little to tackle the actual issue, or problem as we like to see it.
    Last edited by Apjp; 17-05-2016 at 11:37 PM.

"However, heavy smokers are more likely to die early, thereby saving the system money."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...-34731802.html