Thread: Obama: A Virtual Museum of his Presidency

Default Obama: A Virtual Museum of his Presidency

Whether you agree or disagree, and I know CF is not O's #1 fan, this is probably the first opportunity to record something like this, more to follow......

DAVID MARANISS, filling two-thirds of WashPost A1 and two pages inside, "Obama's Legacy: THE CONTENT OF HIS PRESIDENCY - From health care to Cuba, Obama will leave behind a record of liberal achievement: "His decisions were ineffective in stemming the human wave of disaster in Syria, and he has thus far failed to close the detention camp at Guantanamo Bay ... and to make anything more than marginal changes on two domestic issues of importance to him, immigration and gun control.

"But from the Affordable Care Act to the legalization of same-sex marriage and the nuclear deal with Iran, from the stimulus package that started the slow recovery from the 2008 recession to the Detroit auto industry bailout, from global warming and renewable energy initiatives to the veto of the Keystone pipeline, from the withdrawal of combat troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and the killing of Osama bin Laden to the opening of relations with Cuba, the liberal achievements have added up, however one judges the policies. ...

"To the extent that his campaign rhetoric raised expectations that he could bridge the nation's growing political divide, Obama owns responsibility for the way his presidency was perceived. ... [He] was comfortable coolly working in his own way at his own speed, waiting for events to turn his way. ... Rather than plow forward relentlessly, like Clinton, Obama slowed down." See "The First Black President," the first of "five multimedia rooms" in coming months as part of "Obama: A Virtual Museum of His Presidency" http://wapo.st/1r9IFqn

--" Overseas, Obama begins the long goodbye," by AP's Kathleen Hennessey in London: "As Obama wrapped up his valedictory trip to London on Saturday, he looked very much like a president on his way out the door, reflecting on his tenure and eager to shape how he is remembered. ... The president acknowledged his victory lap was premature, saying, 'I don't think that I'll have a good sense of my legacy until 10 years from now.'"http://apne.ws/1r9KmE4

MRS. OBAMA gave a fiery fascinating defense of her husband and his presidency yesterday in her commencement address at Jackson State University, a Historically Black University in Jackson, Miss.: "[W]hen I hear words like dignity and excellence, I think about my husband. (Applause.) See, I know I'm biased -- and I do think he's cute, too. (Applause.) But as I've walked this journey with Barack, I've gotten a pretty good look at what it means to rise above the fray, what it means to set your eyes on the horizon, to devote your life to making things better for those who will come after you. I have seen how, no matter what kind of ugliness is going on at any particular moment, Barack always stays the course. (Applause.) ...

"And then there's the countless times when that language gets personal and is directed at my husband -- charges that he doesn't love our country. The time he was called a liar in front of a Joint Session of Congress. The nonstop questions about his birth certificate and his belief in God. ... [I]n light of today's 24-hour news cycle -- in this era where our Facebook feeds are limited to the voices of folks who think exactly like we do, and our TVs and radios are exclusively tuned in to those who tell us only what we want to hear -- it's not surprising that our disagreements have become more personal, more intense. ...

"I wish I could say otherwise, graduates, but the question isn't whether you're going to come face-to-face with these issues; the question is how you're going to respond when you do. ... [A]re you going to take a deep breath, straighten your shoulders, lift up your head, and do what Barack Obama has always done -- as he says, 'When they go low, I go high.' (Applause.)

"That's the choice Barack and I have made. That's what has kept us sane over the years. We simply do not allow space in our hearts, minds, or souls for darkness. Instead, we choose faith -- faith in ourselves, in the power of hard work. Faith in our God, ... Our love for our country, which has given us so many blessings and advantages. ...

"And we choose excellence. We choose to tune out all the noise and strive for excellence in everything we do. No cutting corners. No taking shortcuts. No whining. We give 120 percent every single time, because excellence -- excellence is the most powerful answer you can give to the doubters and the haters. (Applause.)" Amazing photo http://abcn.ws/1XPz4PP
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: Obama: A Virtual Museum of his Presidency

When I saw the title I was expecting to see some iconic objects of the Obama era (a drone ? a set of golf clubs?) but no, it is journalism.

I read my way through this lengthy Atlantic piece on Obama and did find it (maybe) gave some kind of a feel of tensions (I have no idea of real or not) between Obama Clinton and Kerry. Worth a read, anyway.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ctrine/471525/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Perhaps worth posting here.

Obama is wrong. There is no hope within the existing system. The extent of social and economic change which is needed is as revolutionary as that undertaken by the Russian and French revolutions. That does not mean to say it needs to be as bloody. The world has changed. When children were executed for stealing handkerchiefs, executing those who had battened off the poor did not seem such a big thing. We are more civilised now and I don’t advocate killing Philip Green.

But we do need a revolutionary mindset when it comes to certainty of the justice of the cause. I upset people by my urging us to disrespect Tories, including ordinary Tories, in my last article. But I fear this is necessary. Society is so obviously broken to the disadvantage of the many, that to indulge those who, from self-interest or media brainwashing or nostalgia, support the status quo is not helpful. People have to be shocked out of their complacency and made to see the ugly truth behind the mass propaganda. Unionists, Blairites, Tories, we should stop according them all respect. It is uncomfortable of course, but otherwise nothing will change.
    https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...nary-attitude/
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Obama gone. He provided Hopelessness, and Change for the Worse. He left the door wide open for Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...acy-presidency
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Yawn.

Your hero was a very brave murderer and he has won lots of awards for same.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Yawn.

Your hero was a very brave murderer and he has won lots of awards for same.
    I thought I'd take this opportunity to rub salt in your wounds

-- Barack Obama last night called on members of Congress to show “political courage” in protecting Obamacare.From Greg Jaffe: “The former president was speaking in Boston after receiving the Profile in Courage Award, presented on the 100th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy’s birth … In the course of a 45-minute speech … Obama praised the courage of freshman lawmakers who voted for the Affordable Care Act … knowing that it might put their seats and political careers at risk. ‘These men and women did the right thing,’ he said. ‘They did the hard thing ... and most of them did lose their seats. … This great debate is not settled but continues, and it is my fervent hope … that regardless of party, such courage is still possible. … I hope that current members of Congress recognize that it takes little courage to aid those who are already powerful, already comfortable, already influential. But it takes great courage to champion the vulnerable, the sick and the infirm’ and those with ‘with no access to the corridors of power.’”

Making it clear that he plans to keep a higher profile than the last ex-president, President Obama targeted Congress as he spoke in Boston last night at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, accepting the annual Profile in Courage Award.

• The Globe's Joshua Miller and Laura Krantz, on A1: "In one of his first speeches since he left the White House, ... Obama built a moral case against President Trump's efforts to repeal his health care law."

Ah sure, rub away Count.

I think maybe JFK was the last President not to murder little babies?

But go ahead and tell me what a great man he is for favouring slightly less privatised healthcare.

I live in a middle income country with less than 30 years of independence behind it where all people have a right to healthcare. You live in the greatest country in the world, or so we're told, and this was the best he could do?