Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Panama Papers: the secrets of dirty money

Default Re: The Panama Papers: the secrets of dirty money

does anyone have the Guardian link ??

HERE

as I expected this is what they say about their own: Six members of the House of Lords, three former Conservative MPs and dozens of donors to UK political parties have had offshore assets.

omitting the most important name of all (as re UK politics), Ian Cameron, the father of current PM, David Cameron ...

instead focusing on Putin ... what a joke ... everyone knows Putin has a massive 6 billion fortune in and offshore

tell me what I don't know
    Last edited by random new yorker; 04-04-2016 at 12:23 AM.

not in front page of NYTimes

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    does anyone have the Guardian link ??

HERE

as I expected this is what they say about their own: Six members of the House of Lords, three former Conservative MPs and dozens of donors to UK political parties have had offshore assets.

omitting the most important name of all (as re UK politics), Ian Cameron, the father of current PM, David Cameron ...

instead focusing on Putin ... what a joke ... everyone knows Putin has a massive fortune offshore ..
    Consistent with what Craig Murray is saying then. Limited hangout/selective disclosure.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    not in front page of NYTimes
    Really?? I'm shocked.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trust-Priv.../dp/0316836311
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

yes i think so @ Pluralist #18

i read all this in morning tho and only posted here now cos it's like what are they posting ... nothing? no names? wall of silence ...

vetting info ... let's see what they publish

Interesting how this is being managed. I see that the Guardian, El Pais and Le Monde are all leading with Putin and the Icelandic President. Obviously there's an agreement on the publishing choreography.

Took a quick look at WaPo, WSJ, and L.A.Times, nothing so far. The WSJ does have a pronunciation guide for UK football teams, if that helps.
    https://www.icij.org
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

the umpteenth data dump to change **** all but keeping snazzy website designers in the job

In the LA Times and in the NY Time I just found this (same words):

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalism, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, said the cache of 11.5 million records detailed the offshore holdings of a dozen current and former world leaders, as well as businessmen, criminals, celebrities and sports stars.

The Associated Press wasn't immediately able to verify the allegations made in articles that were published by the more than 100 news organizations around the world involved in the investigation.

However, the German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung, which first received the data more than a year ago, said it was confident the material was genuine.
    ---

i believe (in bold) is the reason they haven't published in full front page here in the US. This is how american news report on stuff they have't vetted themselves.

Interesting that the ICIJ did not leak this to the American press.

Rumour that German intelligence are backing the leak.

did i not post the links to NYT and LAT?

i think that's what the article says ? ... or i read that somewhere else

did i not post the links to NYT and LAT?

i think that's what the article says ? ... or i read that somewhere else

---
    The Munich-based daily was offered the data through an encrypted channel by an anonymous source who requested no monetary compensation and asked only for unspecified security measures, said Bastian Obermayer, a reporter for the paper.

(..)

ICIJ said the law firm's leaked internal files contain information on 214,488 offshore entities connected to people in more than 200 countries and territories. It said it would release the full list of companies and people linked to them early next month.

(..)
    The newspaper and its partners verified the authenticity of the data by comparing it to public registers, witness testimony and court rulings, he told The AP. A previous cache of Mossack Fonseca documents obtained by German authorities was also used to verify the new material, Obermayer added.

---
    from an american point of view they will not promote this unless they are absolutely sure in May

Yea i knew i read it in the NYT..
    Last edited by random new yorker; 04-04-2016 at 04:52 AM.

News Group Claims Huge Trove of Data on Offshore Accounts

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSAPRIL 3, 2016, 5:30 P.M. E.D.T.

(this was posted in World - one page over not on front page that's why i didn't find it before. RNY)

Funnily enough local coverage is focusing on Kiwi and Oz individuals and companies named in the leak, which could get interesting. Even the normally quite right-wing media outlets aren't really falling for the waffle in US/European media about Putin

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-russel-norman

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pa...-idUSKCN0X102E

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) said on Monday it is investigating more than 800 wealthy clients of a Panama law firm for possible tax evasion....In New Zealand, the tax agency is "working closely" with its tax treaty partners to obtain full details of any New Zealand tax residents who may have been involved in arrangements facilitated by Mossack Fonseca, said John Nash, Inland Revenue’s international revenue strategy manager, in comments emailed to Reuters.

Nash said there is an "active compliance program focused on those who engage in abusive offshore arrangements and don’t meet their tax obligations."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast