Thread: Shane "Cake" Curran to run for FF

Default Shane "Cake" Curran to run for FF

Think this could be the third seat settled though I could see him topping the poll.

Weeks of speculation has ended as Fianna Fáil tonight added All-Ireland winner Shane Curran to its ticket in Roscommon-Galway.
    The party's National Constituencies Committee confirmed the addition of Mr Curran to the ticket in Roscommon-Galway.
    Mr Curran joins Councillor Eugene Murphy on the General Election ticket.
    The recommendation of the NCC was ratified by the party’s Ard Chomhairle Officer Board this evening.
    It's on breakingnews.ie but won't let me copy and paste link.

Default Re: Shane "Cake" Curran to run for FF

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Think this could be the third seat settled though I could see him topping the poll.

It's on breakingnews.ie but won't let me copy and paste link.
    Who is he ?

And why "Cake" ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Former county Gaelic footballer

Nearly as good as a publican in terms of getting votes.

Shane Curran (born 8 April 1971)[1] is an Irish sportsperson from Castlerea, County Roscommon. He is the former inter-county Gaelic football goalkeeper for Roscommon, and his club St Brigids. He also played association football as well.

Since retiring from inter-county football, Curran has set up flood defence company Global Flood Solutions. The company supplies the rapid response flood defence products such as the Big Bag Flood Defence System for which Curran recently secured a €2 million export deal[2] for which they were interviewed recently by Irish national broadcaster RTÉ[3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Curran
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

It shows utter contempt from FF as regards the standard of politician they are willing to send to Leinster House.

No FG/Lab seats in Roscommon Galway now. The seats are really beginning to fall away from them. 2 down in Roscommon, 2 down Galway East, 1-2 down in Galway West. 1-2 down in Mayo.

Knows how to play act and waste time
    https://youtu.be/8IsbWFZPh0Q

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    It shows utter contempt from FF as regards the standard of politician they are willing to send to Leinster House.

No FG/Lab seats in Roscommon Galway now. The seats are really beginning to fall away from them. 2 down in Roscommon, 2 down Galway East, 1-2 down in Galway West. 1-2 down in Mayo.
    It's shocking. I just found out about the SF candidate. She seems like a bright lady. Would be nice to see her pip Fitzmaurice as that's who'll be her closest rival.

It's shocking. I just found out about the SF candidate. She seems like a bright lady. Would be nice to see her pip Fitzmaurice as that's who'll be her closest rival.
    Fitzmaurice ( who I think is a Judas waiting to shore up FG ) is absolutely nailed on, the new constituency boundaries suit him most and Naughten next best. You can put your house on Naughten.

After that it gets surprisingly interesting. FG were supposed to take the 3rd seat by default as FF were determined to throw away a gimmie seat there.

Before Cake got involved ( probably why he's been drafted in ) the SFer Kerrane was in third place behind Fitz and Naughten in private party opinion polls.

Now FF have this seat sewn up. FG lost their big vote getter when Naughten went Ind and the Feighan hospital farce killed off another chunk of FGs vote so there wasn't enough of a FG vote left to take on a strong FF candidate. Also Fitzmaurice will take a large farmers vote that FG would have been expecting.

The SF vote here should be small because of the loss of Leitrim South, but Claire Kerrane has been endorsed by Ming and the addition of Ballinasloe Town to the constituency brings in 2,059 SF votes that Dermot Connolly won when elected for SF in the Ballinasloe LEA. She should finish 5th and could finish 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Fitzmaurice ( who I think is a Judas waiting to shore up FG ) is absolutely nailed on, the new constituency boundaries suit him most and Naughten next best. You can put your house on Naughten.

After that it gets surprisingly interesting. FG were supposed to take the 3rd seat by default as FF were determined to throw away a gimmie seat there.

Before Cake got involved ( probably why he's been drafted in ) the SFer Kerrane was in third place behind Fitz and Naughten in private party opinion polls.

Now FF have this seat sewn up. FG lost their big vote getter when Naughten went Ind and the Feighan hospital farce killed off another chunk of FGs vote so there wasn't enough of a FG vote left to take on a strong FF candidate. Also Fitzmaurice will take a large farmers vote that FG would have been expecting.

The SF vote here should be small because of the loss of Leitrim South, but Claire Kerrane has been endorsed by Ming and the addition of Ballinasloe Town to the constituency brings in 2,059 SF votes that Dermot Connolly won when elected for SF in the Ballinasloe LEA. She should finish 5th and could finish 4th.
    I agree with your assessment of Fitzmaurice. Although I disagree with Ming fundamentally on environmental matters, I do think he has genuine broader social concerns. Fitzmaurice is a different sort altogether, definitely he would drift more towards the right on economic and social issues.

It's a real pity Curran got involved as it would have been interesting to see how Kerrane would do in the absence of "celebrity" opposition. It is an "old" constituency demographic-wise, and it would involve a lot of young people coming back from the likes of Galway and Dublin for an upset to be caused.

Knows how to play act and waste time
    https://youtu.be/8IsbWFZPh0Q
    I still laugh everytime I see this

However if his Dáil contributions are half as bad as his football punditry he will be a terrible TD. A pathetically cheap move by FF.
    Do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Lee View Post
    I still laugh everytime I see this

However if his Dáil contributions are half as bad as his football punditry he will be a terrible TD. A pathetically cheap move by FF.
    Brilliantly entertaining keeper Shocking bad punditry. I don't think he'll bring anything new to the Dáil.