Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's with the Whales?

Default Re: What's with the Whales?

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Read the OP again... Quote..'' links to come.'' unquote.

Here.. http://www.france24.com/en/20151103-...es-voluntarily

Quote. Another 49ft whale was found dead on a beach at Hemmes de Marck, near Calais in the English Channel on Tuesday. The mammal was already in the process of decomposition. unquote.

Good observation anyway.
    of course tis a good observation

Eng Channel? ... hmmm ye think the english have anything to do w it?

i think it's their fault !!

Found this, very interesting...

Quote. Historical trends in the incidence of strandings of sperm whales
    (Physeter macrocephalus) on North Sea coasts: An association
    with positive temperature anomalies unquote. http://www.abdn.ac.uk/marfish/pdfs/Pierce2007b.pdf
    association or correlation is not causation

i think twas the English... it's the only plausible explanation

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    of course tis a good observation

Eng Channel? ... hmmm ye think the english have anything to do w it?

i think it's their fault !!
    association or correlation is not causation

i think twas the English... it's the only plausible explanation
    Would'nt be happening in the Days of Doggerland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

Unless of course they were blown off course by a tsunami...

Quote.. "We have speculated for years on the lost land's existence from bones dredged by fishermen all over the North Sea, but it's only since working with oil companies in the last few years that we have been able to re-create what this lost land looked like....We have now been able to model its flora and fauna, build up a picture of the ancient people that lived there and begin to understand some of the dramatic events that subsequently changed the land, including the sea rising and a devastating tsunami." unquote.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    No, it doesn't.

Let's blame it on the Scots then. Had they gotten it right the Brits would have to shut down BUTEC and the Orcas could be breading in peace again.
    AH A AH AH AH i didn't see this before

Yes! I think we should blame the Scots instead

Would'nt be happening in the Days of Doggerland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

Unless of course they were blown off course by a tsunami...

Quote.. "We have speculated for years on the lost land's existence from bones dredged by fishermen all over the North Sea, but it's only since working with oil companies in the last few years that we have been able to re-create what this lost land looked like....We have now been able to model its flora and fauna, build up a picture of the ancient people that lived there and begin to understand some of the dramatic events that subsequently changed the land, including the sea rising and a devastating tsunami." unquote.
    oh hon

the Doggerland? i wasnt aware of this

<10,000 years ago? it explains how ye got your middle eastern forefathers/mother farmers (in this case..)

oh hon

Stick around, you'll always learn a thing or two.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Orca beached on Germany's northernmost island of Sylt... U-Boats perhaps?

SPIEGEL Online
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

New and more powerful sonar?

Regards...jmcc

I don't think so, all 6 German submarines are based in the Baltic Sea... the island of Sylt is in the North Sea.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

oh hon

<10,000 years ago? it explains how ye got your middle eastern forefathers/mother farmers (in this case..)
    Exactly

My paternal haplogroup (R1b1b2a1a) turns out to be from the most common in Western Europe. This is no surprise given my father’s family (which came over to Boston a century ago) is from Dublin.

Still, it’s fascinating to see just how far back the group has been in Northwestern Europe. According to 23andMe, R1b1b2a1a…
    …is found mostly on the fringes of the North Sea in England, Germany and the Netherlands, where it reaches levels of one-third. That distribution suggests that some of the first men to bear the haplogroup in their Y-chromosomes were residents of Doggerland, a real-life Atlantis that was swallowed up by rising seas in the millennia following the Ice Age.
    Forget Atlantis–talk about shades of Tolkien’s Numenor! Doggerland was a low-lying region of forests and wetlands that paleontologists believe connected Britain to the European mainland. And it must have been a hunter’s paradise. Present-day fishing trawlers in the North Sea occasionally dredge up the bones and tusks of the mastodons and other game from the ocean floor.
    Doggerland had its heyday between about 12,000 years ago, when the Ice Age climate began to ameliorate, and 9,000 years ago, when the meltwaters of the gradually retreating glaciers caused sea levels to rise, drowning the hunter’s paradise. Doggerland’s inhabitants retreated to the higher ground that is now the North Sea coast.
    On my mother’s side, which hails from County Cork.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I don't think so, all 6 German submarines are based in the Baltic Sea... the island of Sylt is in the North Sea.
    What about the ever-present Russians and Brits ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The Brits usually test their gear off the Inner Hebrides... and even IF the Rooskies would be sneaking around in German coastal waters they'd hardly ping around with active sonar which would give away their presence.

Active sonar btw is far more often used by surface ships and maritime patrol aircraft in ASW exercises. Submarines prefer to remain silent.

And then there are countless non-military applications for sonar, scientists, cartographers use it for sea bed scanning, commercial fish finders and treasure hunters, etc.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 08-02-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Are they not allowed out of the Baltic?
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I'm sure they are, in fact one of them "sunk" the USS Enterprise during a NATO exercise in 2007 in the Caribbean...

But the Baltic Sea their usual area of operation. They are pretty much the only submarines NATO has in the Baltic, apart from four ancient Polish diesel clunkers (built in Germany in the 1960s, purchased from Norway). In the North Sea you'd rather find Dutch and Norwegian submarines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12