Page 98 of 120 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1790

Thread: Brexit.

  1. #1456
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,077

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Boris gone now too.

  2. #1457
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    23,597

    Default Re: Brexit.

    short and sweet


    "This afternoon, the Prime Minister accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. His replacement will be announced shortly. The Prime Minister thanks Boris for his work'"
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  3. #1458
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Brexit.

    The list of rats leaving the sinking ship grows, but will May stay afloat and eventually get the UK through Brexit or will a Brexit ideologue take over and go for a HARD BREXIT?

  4. #1459
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    23,597

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  5. #1460
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    2,068

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    The list of rats leaving the sinking ship grows, but will May stay afloat and eventually get the UK through Brexit or will a Brexit ideologue take over and go for a HARD BREXIT?
    For all the noise and chaos they create, the Hard Brexiteers are a fringe rump, maybe 50 Tory MPs in total, maybe 20-30 Labour MPs, plus the DUPers. Call it around 80MPs max out of 650. They just don't have the numbers to topple May, never mind bring the entire HoC with them.

    Stick a fork in Hard Brexit, it's done.

  6. #1461
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,941

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    The Irish Govt had been threatening to Veto any Brexit deal that didn't sort out the border issue to Ireland's satisfaction, so the power to Veto it is most likely still there.
    Recent events make it a moot point, if the latest bullsh** form London ( we agree with what emanated from Chequers but we are leaving the EU, the customs union and everything else...) is to be believed. But, I still think that the detailed discussions, even if the UK walk away, will stretch the "unqualified support" from the other 26. A fudge, which is inevitable, imo, means everyone compromises.

  7. #1462
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,941

    Default Re: Brexit.

    In a firestorm of BS the input of Bertie and Yates stand out -

    They are both spouting "old" politics, Yates says May has the numbers to do down the brexiters - he forgets the Labour Party are just as divided as the Conservatives, some will vote with May, some against. Rees-Mgg warns against depending on Labour votes.

    Bertie says May will have to offer something on free movement, in his usual "come on lads" fashion, as if it was a FF meeting. He has form vis a vis the EU, but not on the prospect of the breakup of the EU.

    The 27 (including ourselves) need to make sure that moves by Germany, Hungary, Italy don't mean Schengen is dead, for example. Even the Austrian's who would be agin free movement, are looking for compromise in their 6 month presidency.

  8. #1463
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,941

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    For all the noise and chaos they create, the Hard Brexiteers are a fringe rump, maybe 50 Tory MPs in total, maybe 20-30 Labour MPs, plus the DUPers. Call it around 80MPs max out of 650. They just don't have the numbers to topple May, never mind bring the entire HoC with them.

    Stick a fork in Hard Brexit, it's done.
    Did ye hear the leader of the Commons on Newsnight last night? "I am 100% with Theresa, we are leaving the EU, the Customs Union, the CAP, the fishing deal, there will be no free movement. We will negotiate a free trade deal after we leave, including all those red lines, with specific arrangements for car imports/exports, etc"

    Where does that fit then.....

  9. #1464
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,909

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Boris and Davis have recklessly over-reached themselves.

    The deal May proposes is a sensible, workable compromise. However, the wrecking tactics of Boris and Co have now dramaticall raised the possibility of an abortive no-deal Brexit which wil be vetoed by the House of Commons. That means that the leave voters will be left with nothing.

  10. #1465
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    2,068

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Did ye hear the leader of the Commons on Newsnight last night? "I am 100% with Theresa, we are leaving the EU, the Customs Union, the CAP, the fishing deal, there will be no free movement. We will negotiate a free trade deal after we leave, including all those red lines, with specific arrangements for car imports/exports, etc"

    Where does that fit then.....
    Like most Brexiteer raving, it fits in the "lunatic ignorant uninformed and catastrophically Stupid gibbering" bucket.

    If the UK crashes out in a no-deal scenario, which is what these loons seem to actually want, then instantly all the planes get grounded, the ports seize up, all FDI immediately mothballs their UK factories, the UK economy instantly collapses.

    None of these idiots have any idea how international trade actually works, the vast body of intricate laws and rules even under "no deal" generic WTO rules...in fact let's be blunt these people don't even understand what a "free trade deal" actually is. They seem to be under the impression it is a two paragraph easy deal that allows both parties to do whatever they want. Trump appears to be labouring under the exact same deranged delusion.

    So we have idiots who don't understand what a Free Trade Agreement actually involves, blithely threatening to collapse their own economy unless the rest of the world agrees to completely dismantle 70-odd years of painstakingly-negotiated trading rules, just to suit demented reactionary lunatics like Rees-Mogg?

    FFS. This is just boring and stupid now. They want to be suicidal morons, let them at it I say. EU and Ireland should now be preparing for No Deal and to enforce the WTO trade border in the Irish Sea (not that there'll be much trade to police), and just simply ignore the screeching from Brexiteer dribbling inbred chinless eejits.

  11. #1466
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    23,597

    Default Re: Brexit.


    Press newsletter SpeechesCalendar Multimedia gallery Press contacts National press officers
    EBA publishes Opinion to hasten the preparations of financial institutions for Brexit

    Image
    Related documents:
    EBA Opinion on Brexit preparations (EBA-Op-2018-05) [PDF, 177KB]
    25 June 2018

    The European Banking Authority (EBA) published today an Opinion relating to the risks posed by lack of preparation by financial institutions for the departure of the UK from the EU. In this Opinion, the EBA asks Competent Authorities to ensure that financial institutions take practical steps now to prepare for the possibility of a withdrawal of the UK from the EU with no ratified Withdrawal Agreement in place, and no transition period.

    The monitoring of firms' contingency planning conducted by supervisory and resolution authorities shows that financial institutions need to speed up their preparations for the potential departure of the UK from the EU in March 2019 without a ratified Withdrawal Agreement in place. While the political agreement on a transition period is welcome, it will not be given legal effect until there is a ratified Withdrawal Agreement in place. This is not guaranteed, and in any event, it will only come at the end of the Article 50 process.

    In a bid to ensure that firms are fully prepared for all scenarios the EBA has shared its views on its expectations in the Opinion. Andrea Enria, Chairperson of the EBA, said "firms cannot take for granted that they continue to operate as at present nor can they rely on as yet unrealised political agreements or public policy interventions" He added "Risks, capacity and legal implications must be examined and addressed."
    It is imperative that financial institutions in the EU27 and in the UK identify potential exposures and risk channels that may be affected, and the possible implications of the potential departure of the UK without a ratified Withdrawal Agreement in place.

    http://www.eba.europa.eu/-/eba-publi...ons-for-brexit
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  12. #1467
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,989

    Default Re: Brexit.

    And on a lighter note......many the true word spoken in jest



  13. #1468
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,537

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Like most Brexiteer raving, it fits in the "lunatic ignorant uninformed and catastrophically Stupid gibbering" bucket.

    If the UK crashes out in a no-deal scenario, which is what these loons seem to actually want, then instantly all the planes get grounded, the ports seize up, all FDI immediately mothballs their UK factories, the UK economy instantly collapses.

    None of these idiots have any idea how international trade actually works, the vast body of intricate laws and rules even under "no deal" generic WTO rules...in fact let's be blunt these people don't even understand what a "free trade deal" actually is. They seem to be under the impression it is a two paragraph easy deal that allows both parties to do whatever they want. Trump appears to be labouring under the exact same deranged delusion.

    So we have idiots who don't understand what a Free Trade Agreement actually involves, blithely threatening to collapse their own economy unless the rest of the world agrees to completely dismantle 70-odd years of painstakingly-negotiated trading rules, just to suit demented reactionary lunatics like Rees-Mogg?

    FFS. This is just boring and stupid now. They want to be suicidal morons, let them at it I say. EU and Ireland should now be preparing for No Deal and to enforce the WTO trade border in the Irish Sea (not that there'll be much trade to police), and just simply ignore the screeching from Brexiteer dribbling inbred chinless eejits.
    See all that will happen and they'll blame the EU.

    You can't win with these morons, and their vote turnout levels in England are frightening, the worse it gets, the more old people will vote for even worse ideas of Brexit. After all, factories closing doesn't affect the smug bastards already made and those already retired. And the young don't vote.

  14. #1469
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    2,068

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    See all that will happen and they'll blame the EU.

    You can't win with these morons, and their vote turnout levels in England are frightening, the worse it gets, the more old people will vote for even worse ideas of Brexit. After all, factories closing doesn't affect the smug bastards already made and those already retired. And the young don't vote.
    Yup.

    It's going to get quite dangerous in the years ahead with a deranged, angry, paranoid, xenophobic, bitter, isolationist and poverty-stricken Britain right next door to everyone else.

    Luckily I don't think they are likely to go on any 18th-century-style military adventures, but they will end up a rogue pariah state and things could get very unpleasant for anyone not 100% White British living in that country.

    People have to face up to where all this is going and start preparing to pull up the drawbridges, cut Britain off, work around them, and protect ourselves from any spillover from this collective bout of vicious insanity they are going through. It is likely to last for a significant period of time.

  15. #1470
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    23,597

    Default Re: Brexit.

    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Page 98 of 120 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us