Results 1,411 to 1,423 of 1423

Thread: Brexit.

Default Re: Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    They cannot be serious...

This whole thing will end badly.

A hand dug canal along the border would be a better proposal than this
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I'm still PMSL at the deranged "buffer zone" idea. Not only is it bonkers, it manages to be both utterly vague and head-meltingly convoluted at the same time. Which is why I call it "Schrödinger's Border"

Of course the best thing about it is that it, like every other nutty idea the Tories have tried to float, is that it doesn't actually address the fundamental trade issues regarding a post-Brexit border AT ALL. i.e. the North as a Trojan back door into the EU (or indeed the UK, come to think about it) for non-compliant goods, services or migrants. So none of these crazy notions will pass muster either with the EU, or with the WTO, or with any third-party countries Britain seeks free-trade agreements with subsequently.

Never mind the effect on the GFA, community relations, the future of partition and all the rest of it - all important to be sure and Brexit has completely thrown all those areas into chaos - but even if we just focus on the dry technocratic international trade aspects, the UK is going to end up in breach of just about every single norm and law and treaty governing global trade. And they genuinely seem to have no concept whatsoever that this is the case. And yet the UK embarking on a spree of free global trading was, supposedly, the entire point of Brexit

Nutters LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I'm still PMSL at the deranged "buffer zone" idea. Not only is it bonkers, it manages to be both utterly vague and head-meltingly convoluted at the same time. Which is why I call it "Schrödinger's Border"

Of course the best thing about it is that it, like every other nutty idea the Tories have tried to float, is that it doesn't actually address the fundamental trade issues regarding a post-Brexit border AT ALL. i.e. the North as a Trojan back door into the EU (or indeed the UK, come to think about it) for non-compliant goods, services or migrants. So none of these crazy notions will pass muster either with the EU, or with the WTO, or with any third-party countries Britain seeks free-trade agreements with subsequently.

Never mind the effect on the GFA, community relations, the future of partition and all the rest of it - all important to be sure and Brexit has completely thrown all those areas into chaos - but even if we just focus on the dry technocratic international trade aspects, the UK is going to end up in breach of just about every single norm and law and treaty governing global trade. And they genuinely seem to have no concept whatsoever that this is the case. And yet the UK embarking on a spree of free global trading was, supposedly, the entire point of Brexit

Nutters LOL
    David Davis's surely not serious proposal is that the small enclave which is the North of Ireland would have to comply with ALL OF EU Regulations and ALL OF UK regulations in order not to have a border - this covers things like milk production and social rights, as well as tariffs (on garlic, or torpedoes, or whatever) . It does not require a lot of imagination to see how that might (not) work out. It also implies a border between the island of Ireland, and the rest of the British Isles, if there is to be any trade / tariff separation between the EU and the U.K. Or else unlimited leakage would occur via Ireland North and South.

It is simply not feasible. The only outcome that seems possible at the moment is a 'hard exit' and a EU-constructed border, policed by FG or their FF side-kicks, across the island and it is the only outcome that is in tune with the real world.

The only sensible option to that would be a united ireland inside the EU, and border between the island and the rest of UK. That too, implemented overnight, would be immensely disruptive for a period, but in the long haul, would be a progressive solution that would bring many benefits.

Fixation on the border issue means zero attention to the question of splitting the U.K. and Ireland (economic and social Siamese twins). Free movement of Irish citizens to the U.K. and vice versa - how will that be policed without an 'Irish' passport system ? There are many and deep treaties between the two States that only continued to be acceptable after EU entry because both states were in the EU. The unforeseens of Brexit - Windrush being one, but many more to follow - will be an utter and complete nightmare.

I would take more comfort from the possibilities for 'creative chaos' in all of this if the people of Ireland had not been bombed and blitzed into willingness to vote to remove all legal claim by the Irish State to not only the North, but also the South of Ireland, in the GFA-linked referendum. I wonder who drew that up ?

Fine Gael's rushed to grab hold of the 'back stop' in the hopes it would mean kicking the can down the road - an entirely misplaced hope.http://uk.businessinsider.com/explai...n-union-2018-6
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

Nutters LOL
    Hello from Kiev Sidewinder.

Great to hear from you on this. It is getting crazier by the day.

Labour shifting

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

It has been announced that long term Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre is to step down to spend more time with his ego.

Some are predicting that the family that own the Mail titles is not as hardline on Brexit as Dacre and may appoint a more centrist editor.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Rumours that Brexit secretary David Davis may resign today.

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Labour shifting

Labour does not want to stay in the Single Market, but it wants full access to it. The party is deeply divided over Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44377072
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

James O Brien on Lbc is definitely Worth a Listen to. He has almost weekly coverage of Irelands issues due to the castle of sand ideas we get Evert week from the Empire.

Every*

I dont envy Corbyn at the centre of the vortex, with both pro and anti Brexit Blairite to Centrists screaming at him (along with the poison press). Anyway some hope of this , the soft Brexit is likely the best hope and Corbyn is doing the best he can to keep the party together https://www.theguardian.com/politics...P=share_btn_fb

For some reason I haven't been getting the updates on this...

Reading back I seriously thought the Sun piece was made for April 1 rather than June 1.

We are now definitively in lala land. The fudge us becoming even fudgier.

My take? On whatever day in March next year we will have a can kicking ceremony, no solution, no change, no dates.

On some date(s) in 2019 various "summits" will be held with various panics. No decisions.

After Barnier becomes the Pres of the Commission, and May has been pushed out, the resulting UK Gov., a fudge of Lab/Cons/Rees-Mogg, etc. with a FG/FF like "agreement" (as long as no decisions are taken), will negotiate some sort of 2nd division connection to the rest of the (maybe) 27.

After, or during that process, Poland, Hungary Italy and maybe others will have created a chaos of the original EU and Merkel/Macron will be at loggerheads about what to do. Trunpy/Pumpy will have totally ***********d up the old trade system, the Chinese will have called in their $ debts, etc., etc.

Maybe exaggerated but something of this nature seems inevitable.

Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495