Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit.

Default Re: Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    While i have no objection in principle to merging the threads, I'll note that the title of the other thread limits discussion to the impact on Ireland, and it had only 5 posts in all of 2015, none by the thread starter. I think there should be room for discussion on the impact on Europe, which will not be negligible.
    bump

I've largely ignored this topic because I'm neutral on it and don't really believe the British Govt are serious about a Brexit.

If I recall correctly offering an in out referendum was a Cameron tactic to halt the rise of UKIP.

So what's the story? Is this a farce, a political charade or an unstoppable train?

While i have no objection in principle to merging the threads,
    As you see...... I have made a compromise on this . ie. Brexit; Is David Cameron doing Ireland a Favour?

I'll note that the title of the other thread limits discussion to the impact on Ireland, and it had only 5 posts in all of 2015, none by the thread starter.
    Now this sounds like you are campaigning to have my thread closed or re-named

I think there should be room for discussion on the impact on Europe, which will not be negligible.
    Well then. just let the two threads run ....... there are many other threads on similar subjects .... and this is the first time I've seen a member calling for another members pre-existing thread to be re-named and/or merged.
    Last edited by riposte; 01-02-2016 at 11:16 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Internet politics discussion forum fights, gah.

For some reason I am reminded of a famous quote about academic politics:

"Academic politics are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small."
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

[QUOTE=pluralist;444721]Internet politics discussion forum fights, gah.

Quite agree. Very tedious. Whatever happened to PMs?

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Brexit is probably a sensible title, if the expression has entered the lexicon, which I guess it has.

Possibly if someone could amalgamate the posts from the other thread into this thread?

For some reason I am reminded of a famous quote about academic politics:

I suppose that's why you joined in.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

[QUOTE=Spectabilis;444724]

Quite agree. Very tedious. Whatever happened to PMs?
    I already proposed a compronise Spectabilis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I've largely ignored this topic because I'm neutral on it and don't really believe the British Govt are serious about a Brexit.

If I recall correctly offering an in out referendum was a Cameron tactic to halt the rise of UKIP.

So what's the story? Is this a farce, a political charade or an unstoppable train?

i agree w you but it should be discussed just on the 'off chance gee' .. they would exit

i wonder if people are goin' to be fight over 'thread credits'

Brexit speaks for what is is, and not for what Cameron is handing out to Ireland, cos that sounds just like more of the same, no ?

but then again you had to translate the comment by the new Finn member - now imagine the pain if i have to send you private msg to find out what thread titles mean ..

(Welcome! new Finn member)

On Cameron' action i also thought it was a move to dissuade the Scots from leaving 'his' Union? right?

(somehow i am placing these events close together.. but i could be wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post

Damm good question. Maybe there's elements of all three. Can't say I've been following the story very closely either though so I"m not really qualified to say.

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    I suppose that's why you joined in.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Thumbs up Re: Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    i agree w you but it should be discussed just on the 'off chance gee' .. they would exit

i wonder if people are goin' to be fight over 'thread credits'

Brexit speaks for what is is, and not for what Cameron is handing out to Ireland, cos that sounds just like more of the same, no ?

but then again you had to translate the comment by the new Finn member - now imagine the pain if i have to send you private msg to find out what thread titles mean ..

(Welcome! new Finn member)

On Cameron' action i also thought it was a move to dissuade the Scots from leaving 'his' Union? right?

(somehow i am placing these events close together.. but i could be wrong)
    Brexit will affect no countries more than Ireland and the UK. The trade between the 2 countries is massive, We are their fifth largest export market and they are our largest export market. There's over €50 billion of trade at stake and tackling the UK market is a stepping stone for Irish SMEs who are finding their way into International exporting.

The implications of a shutdown or imposition of customs on the Republic Of Ireland-UK border is horrific for business and social interactions in both states.

Northern Ireland has become increasingly intertwined with the Republic and we are to them what the UK is to us in terms of a major market and stepping stone for business. In my company we regularly get multi-million projects from northern companies and there is now the guts of a UI trade wise with far more interaction between the two states than in the past.

We could be stumbling into a serious situation. There are implications for the USA-UK-EU nexus and the piggy in the middle positions of Ireland and the UK in that nexus. The USA has already slotted us in as part of a greater UK in their plans, if the UK is outside the EU then the US will reassess where we fit into their European relations and Ireland will be hung ho to steal business from the UK and vice versa in a post Brexit environment.

I think the threads should be merged under the title "Brexit; the implications for Ireland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    As you see...... I have made a compromise on this . ie. Brexit; Is David Cameron doing Ireland a Favour?

Now this sounds like you are campaigning to have my thread closed or re-named

Well then. just let the two threads run ....... there are many other threads on similar subjects .... and this is the first time I've seen a member calling for another members pre-existing thread to be re-named and/or merged.
    I have zero desire to see this thread closed. I just noted that the title had a limiting effect, and only 5 posts in 2015. Maybe that was because of the limiting effect of the title. This thread has had 24 posts in 24 hours.

For the record I believe PW would benefit from more newer threads, rather than fewer older threads. Life happens, things change etc.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

For the record I believe PW would benefit from more newer threads, rather than fewer older threads.
    Can't agree with this.

Can't agree with this.
    If there are duplicate threads, they can always be merged. If the threads don't exist in the first place................it can be a sign of stasis.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

If there are duplicate threads, they can always be merged. If the threads don't exist in the first place................it can be a sign of stasis.
    Are you on drugs?

Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast