Page 126 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2020

Thread: Brexit.

Default Re: Brexit.

An interesting take on the Tory Party Conference:

https://theconversation.com/conserva...e-world-104218
    What I can say, however, is that anyone walking through the building site that is Central Birmingham at the moment to get to the ICC for an 8am fringe event, could very, very easily tell the difference between the conference-goers and the morning commuters – a sure sign, perhaps, of a party that’s still struggling to look and sound like the 21st-century country it claims to govern.
    Last edited by statsman1; 02-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The Scots are the wild card, but I don't have any feeling, in spite of the passion of the minority, of imminent UDI there.

May says that there will be no division of "my country" (Scotland, England, the North of Ireland and Wales).r It's not going to happen pre-Brexit, but If things get anything like as bad as predicted post Brexit, Scotland and the North might well decide to jump ---- even though things would not be likely to be going swimmingly in the South/Republic, either.
    You may well be right. At this stage I've given up really trying to figure out what Brexit will really mean for the UK and others.

The whole thing really doesn't make much sense to me from the time of the result: Brexit means Brexit … red, white and blue …. White Cliffs of Dover … Land of Hope and Glory, etc, etc. right up to the latest news 'event'. Although disappointed with the result, only because it was one state less to be in the European club to achieve a common purpose on behalf of all citizens, I can't fathom what it is that is so good for the UK to leave the EU?

I just don't really understand what it is the people of the UK want, and how leaving the EU will give it to them.
    Last edited by Norman Bates; 02-10-2018 at 03:18 PM.

TM the PM is reportedly considering an effective border in the Irish Sea, and the DUP aren't having it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rthern-ireland

Tail wags dog time.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

An interesting article from a former UK Ambassador (to France) decrying the bombastic and disrespectful tone of the Tories at their conference.

With the UK on the brink of an unparalleled act of self-harm, we need more mutual respect and fewer inflammatory speeches

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-may-self-harm

It's like watching a motorway pile up and deciding not to brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    You may well be right. At this stage I've given up really trying to figure out what Brexit will really mean for the UK and others.

The whole thing really doesn't make much sense to me from the time of the result: Brexit means Brexit … red, white and blue …. White Cliffs of Dover … Land of Hope and Glory, etc, etc. right up to the latest news 'event'. Although disappointed with the result, only because it was one state less to be in the European club to achieve a common purpose on behalf of all citizens, I can't fathom what it is that is so good for the UK to leave the EU?

I just don't really understand what it is the people of the UK want, and how leaving the EU will give it to them.

1. They want an end to straight bananas.

2. They want their freedom from the EUSSR.

3. They want to be a splendiferous trading nation which uses its superpower status to do the kind of jolly good Free Trade deals for the UK that those Continental Communists/Nazis have been holding them back from.

4. They want to rise to be the great nation that they know they already are.

5. They want other countries to agree that the UK is so important and brilliant that the UK is the best arbiter of how it does business with them.

That's all they want but they just don't have the foggiest notion of how they're actually going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    1. They want an end to straight bananas.

2. They want their freedom from the EUSSR.

3. They want to be a splendiferous trading nation which uses its superpower status to do the kind of jolly good Free Trade deals for the UK that those Continental Communists/Nazis have been holding them back from.

4. They want to rise to be the great nation that they know they already are.

5. They want other countries to agree that the UK is so important and brilliant that the UK is the best arbiter of how it does business with them.

That's all they want but they just don't have the foggiest notion of how they're actually going to get it.
    LOL .. best thing i read today

All very interesting but....

What will happen? It is all very good to say what won't happen, but the alternative(s) are....??

We can clearly see that there is not going to be a backstop solution, but Channel 4 reported that the EU have suggested that there could be agreement on a common rule book after March '19, if the UK doesn't sign any trade agreements before a final decision on their relationship with EU. That may allow the UK to "leave" with no definitive solution. Would the UK accept that?

What is clear that if the UK walks away then the EU will have to impose WTO rules straight away, there is no other option. If that happena then the hard nosers in the EU will start looking at side deals with the UK, to avoid losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post

What will happen? It is all very good to say what won't happen, but the alternative(s) are....??

We can clearly see that there is not going to be a backstop solution, but Channel 4 reported that the EU have suggested that there could be agreement on a common rule book after March '19, if the UK doesn't sign any trade agreements before a final decision on their relationship with EU. That may allow the UK to "leave" with no definitive solution. Would the UK accept that?

What is clear that if the UK walks away then the EU will have to impose WTO rules straight away, there is no other option. If that happena then the hard nosers in the EU will start looking at side deals with the UK, to avoid losing money.
    It's all of that and more.

Intriguing. To say the least.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post

To revisit....
    Think Trump. [Theresa May was the first foreign leader he invited to the Whitehouse after his election]

Trump's a strong supporter of Brexit [for whatever reason]

Too many head's ''boxed in'' when viewing from the outside.

If you know what i mean.

Latest rumouring... March 2019 will be sorted by an "agreement" to leave, with upwards of 100 items on a to-do list. First up, a trade deal but only after 1. Agreement on money to be paid by the "third country" 2. Arrangements for non EU citizens and UK citizens in the 27 (what does that mean for our CTA?) and so on, (ad infinitum?) The ultimate fudge, lasting for n years, meantime DUP can claim victory...

On twitter....

Arlene Foster

@DUPleader
    I have an op ed in the Belfast Telegraph this morning. [link below]

The coming days will be critical. They will shape the type of NI that our grandchildren will live in. . . Our red line is not about the party, it is about the Union & the shape of the UK for the future. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45849188

Pressure pressure...
    Quote.. DUP leader Arlene Foster has denied her party is holding the Conservatives to ransom over Brexit.

East Antrim MP Sammy Wilson had warned his party would withdraw support from the government if it did not approve of the Brexit deal.

Theresa May relies on DUP support in key votes because she does not have a majority in the House of Commons.

A number of Conservative MPs have used social media to criticise Mr Wilson's remarks. unquote. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45843891

And Trump encouraged a yes vote on Brexit..................Oops!

The U.S. is threatening to keep the U.K. from a 46-nation public procurement pact, Bloomberg’s Bryce Baschuk reported on Tuesday – a move that would deny British companies access to a $1.7 trillion marketplace after leaving the EU. The U.K. would need to apply to rejoin the Government Procurement Agreement, which governs global appropriation rules, since it currently belongs via the EU.
    Officials say U.S. negotiators have told their British counterparts that their application is outdated and needs to be revised. If blocked from the pact, U.K. companies such as Rolls-Royce Holdings and Serco Group would lose access to members’ procurement processes, including the $837 billion U.S. market. The bad news was compounded later Tuesday as more than a dozen countries said they opposed the EU’s proposal to modify its World Trade Organization commitments to account for Britain’s departure from the bloc
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

***** hitting fan time, tomorrow and the almost inevitable extra summit in November, will tell the tale.

If there is no November get together, then a fudge piece of paper between now and March will allow the House of Commons to sign off on something and then a long transit period.

All going swimmingly - pooh-pooh extended transition, for the moment, kick the can on any decision, for the moment.

Get to January 2019, WTF, are they going to leave in March, really? OK then, write the fudge in small characters, write the headlines in large type, they are a third country, with our rules and their bumbling along. Meantime, who will bet that all 27 will have legislated by 31/3/2019? And, what will they have legislated on?

A state of Brexit limbo suits the warmongers. Impending November sanctions on Iran and Russia simply cannot wait.

Page 126 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast