Page 103 of 127 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1892

Thread: Brexit.

Default Re: Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Tbh the last five years media coverage and various smear campaigns against anyone non Tory just goes to show how dirty that society is. Irish politics look grown up, clean enough and almost adult by comparison with any attempt at smearing in Ireland quickly backfiring and causing heads to roll.
    Yes, the British press takes the biscuit.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Tbh the last five years media coverage and various smear campaigns against anyone non Tory just goes to show how dirty that society is. Irish politics look grown up, clean enough and almost adult by comparison with any attempt at smearing in Ireland quickly backfiring and causing heads to roll.
    Whoah, stop the bus a sec. Anyone that was truly following the media coverage in the UK over the past five years in an objective manner cannot have failed to notice that there have been plenty of smear campaigns against Tories also. Such as the attempts to smear a former Tory PM as a child murdering deviant. Granted, Ted Heath was a left-leaning Tory, even by the standards of his time (if he was a young person today, I suspect he'd much more likely to find himself on the opposition benches) but a very, very right wing former Tory MP Harvey Proctor (too right wing for Maggie, even) was also smeared. The particular irony of some of these events is that the main accuser is now himself facing charges of possession of child abuse imagery. As CF rightly puts it in another thread, the media's agenda is to sell their product. Paper never refused ink, as the old saying goes.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Does anybody reckon the latest smear campaign calling Corbyn anti Jewish means there will be an election in Britain very soon? The hysteria over Corbyn is at its highest ever level IMO.
    It's actually mind boggling. Corbyn a rascist?

I had thought the Blairite faction were merely careerists worried that Jeremy would doom them to electoral defeat. I was confident that after the last general election they would all get on board given that it seems very likely that Corbyn would win any subsequent election and their seats would be safe, with possible ministerial positions on the horizon.

However, they have constantly attempted to sabotage Corbyn and put themselves at risk of deselection. They have made up the most vile lies. This shows that there is more at play here than careerism or self preservation. What is happening is deeply ideological.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    It's actually mind boggling. Corbyn a rascist?

I had thought the Blairite faction were merely careerists worried that Jeremy would doom them to electoral defeat. I was confident that after the last general election they would all get on board given that it seems very likely that Corbyn would win any subsequent election and their seats would be safe, with possible ministerial positions on the horizon.

However, they have constantly attempted to sabotage Corbyn and put themselves at risk of deselection. They have made up the most vile lies. This shows that there is more at play here than careerism or self preservation. What is happening is deeply ideological.
    Sorry, but I can't agree. Corbyn is not personally an anti-Semite, I don't think even his worst enemies have said that (with a very small number of exceptions), but some of his associations over the years, and some of the beliefs of some of his supporters, are deeply troubling. (And I would speak as someone who would vote for Corbyn above any Tory.)

If Jewish people are saying they are not comfortable remaining in the current Labour party, then, why not take that at face value? I don't understand this. Any other type of prejudice, the broad left will believe it. So why the blind spot on this one type of prejudice? And I repeat, I do not think Corbyn is personally an anti-Jewish type.

Of course, the Tories, the Blairites and a large section of the media are exploiting this. Of course they are - that's politics. But just because they are exploiting and exaggerating it for political gain in an opportunistic fashion, doesn't mean that there isn't a grain of truth in their allegations.

Don't forget, the boy who cried wolf was actually right about one thing.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Ah come on.

So a handful of very vocal far-right Zionist apologists for the war crimes of an out-of-control rogue Israeli apartheid state aren't happy with Corbyn's decades-long stance supporting peace and human rights and anti-imperialism.

This is "deeply troubling" and justifies a year-long hysterically insane campaign of vilification in the British media, screeching that the entire British Labour Party is somehow "anti-Semitic".

This is thundering horseshyte of the most blatantly obvious kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Ah come on.

So a handful of very vocal far-right Zionist apologists for the war crimes of an out-of-control rogue Israeli apartheid state aren't happy with Corbyn's decades-long stance supporting peace and human rights and anti-imperialism.

This is "deeply troubling" and justifies a year-long hysterically insane campaign of vilification in the British media, screeching that the entire British Labour Party is somehow "anti-Semitic".

This is thundering horseshyte of the most blatantly obvious kind.
    The implication that the MPs who have criticised their own party's stances on anti-Semitism (some of them descended from ACTUAL HOLOCAUST VICTIMS) are motivated by 'vocal far-right Zionism' and 'apologism' for 'war crimes of an out of control rogue Israeli apartheid state', is frankly, despicable, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. You ought to hang your head in shame for even thinking such a thing, let alone vomiting your dark thoughts onto a public internet forum.

As for "thundering horseshyte of the most blatantly obvious kind", heal thyself physician!
    Last edited by pluralist; 08-08-2018 at 04:17 PM.

While I cannot understand why these posts are on here, I don't think Pluraist's reaction is entirely justified.

Maybe the critics are the descendants of Holocaust survivors but one can hardly consider the present Israeli government to be above reproach.

In any case, personal criticism is out of order.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    While I cannot understand why these posts are on here, I don't think Pluraist's reaction is entirely justified.

Maybe the critics are the descendants of Holocaust survivors but one can hardly consider the present Israeli government to be above reproach.

In any case, personal criticism is out of order.

If, as you say, you don't understand it, how could you possibly be competent to pronounce on justification?

For the record I agree with Pluralist. Read my discussion with Saoirse on the topic of support or otherwise in this thread.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...l#.W2wuHNhKgdU

On another forum, a poster described Sidewinder as being "imbued with a fierce certainty on every topic under the sun". I agree. For him everything is black or white. No shades of gray. His redundant verbosity also undermines his credibility. He never has enough time to write less.

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Nowhere in my post that I suggest that Israel should be 'above reproach'. I cannot see how BarryM could possibly have drawn that conclusion. I can only suggest that he visits his optician.

PMSL at the pretentious knobbery on display LOL

Anyways, back on topic, though not actually any closer to sanity. Tories in Brexitland:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...alks-1.3591310

Thus spake General Mayhem:

"There will be no hard Border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. We will remain one United Kingdom with a single internal market...no deal is better than a bad deal – and we are stepping up our ‘no deal’ preparations"

No Deal and a decade of wrangling at the WTO it is then. Muppets.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    PMSL at the pretentious knobbery on display LOL.
    You should watch this, who knows, you might actually learn something from it. There is actually hope for you, you are not an Holocaust denier or a Nazi, and therefore possibly still capable of being educated properly:

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post

If you understand the ways of the British meeja, this article is clever signalling. They're not quite saying what they might appear to be.

Edit: actually if you read the tweet that Bock put up accompanying this screencapture, I think he probably gets that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    If you understand the ways of the British meeja, this article is clever signalling. They're not quite saying what they might appear to be.

Edit: actually if you read the tweet that Bock put up accompanying this screencapture, I think he probably gets that aspect.
    Would you like to give your own views on the report ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 103 of 127 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast